Newbie Pre-Build Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Build Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pre-Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    You will have to verify of course but I just looked at my notes.
    My notes have:
    Pin 6:Red:B
    Pin 7:Blue:B-
    Pin 8:Black:A-
    Pin 9:Brown:A

Your colors my vary.
    Pins 6-9 are on the short end. (https://www.db9-pinout.com/)

Jack
    Hey Jack. Thanks for the reply but I think I might be misunderstood. The pin-out I'm looking for is the one for the encoders on the closed loop stepper/driver. Looks like you're referring to the A&B coils on the DB9 cables that come with the CNCRP system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wackocrash5150 View Post
    Hey Jack. Thanks for the reply but I think I might be misunderstood. The pin-out I'm looking for is the one for the encoders on the closed loop stepper/driver. Looks like you're referring to the A&B coils on the DB9 cables that come with the CNCRP system.
    Yep. My bad, as you were.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Might have figured it out. I managed to find a pic from another seller with the same model but it showed them plugged in. Figured there was nothing to lose so, what the heck. Seems to have worked. I've got action on the steper. It errors out when the encoder is unplugged so, might've done it. Thank God for Google images! Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know offhand what the size of the ball screw is on the motor end? I ordered a 1/2" to 14mm coupler but never thought to confirm that the end of the shaft that mates with the coupler is 1/2" or one of the other sizes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know offhand what the size of the ball screw is on the motor end? I ordered a 1/2" to 14mm coupler but never thought to confirm that the end of the shaft that mates with the coupler is 1/2" or one of the other sizes.
    According to Nate's website, it's a "1/2" Precision Ballscrew." Go to his website, click on the machine you have, and click on the "Details" tab. This, as well as other useful info, is contained there.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    According to Nate's website, it's a "1/2" Precision Ballscrew." Go to his website, click on the machine you have, and click on the "Details" tab. This, as well as other useful info, is contained there.

Gary
    Mine was a 1/2" (Saturn 1). I don't think Nate changed that on the Saturn 2. You should be good to go with a 14mm motor shaft.

Downloads
    Uploads

In case anyone is looking for colour coding for the encoders like mine (Stepper 86HB250-118B ), the hookup is as follows:

EB+ - yellow
    EB- - green
    EA+ - black
    EA- - brown
    VCC - red
    GND - white

Might help someone in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads

It comes with the coupler.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question:

I have 2 of those parallel breakout boards from Steppers Online. They get their 5v from the USB port on them. They also have PC5v and PCGND terminals along where the motor terminals are. Can I feed 5v and GND INTO there instead of using the USB port? (would be much easier if I could)

Downloads
    Uploads

Question:
    I have 2 of those parallel breakout boards from Steppers Online. They get their 5v from the USB port on them. They also have PC5v and PCGND terminals along where the motor terminals are. Can I feed 5v and GND INTO there instead of using the USB port? (would be much easier if I could)
    If you are talking about the 5 Axis CNC Breakout Board then it depends on how you plan to use it. I had mine connected to my ESS to control my 4 Gecko drives during testing without the USB connected. The DB25 has power lines.
    I know some of the inputs do not work without the 12v line connected. My guess is that the non-motor outputs need the 5v.
    The BOB I'm using now is different than what I used for testing.

Jack.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up just canibalizing some old USB cables and put ends on the -5v and GND wires to run to PSU. Works fine.

Taking a trip out to Nate's shop this weekend for a pickup so hopefully I'll be able to start an actual build thread. Very excited!

Just ordered a cheapo laser crosshair on the eBays. Any good mounting ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up just canibalizing some old USB cables and put ends on the -5v and GND wires to run to PSU. Works fine.
    Taking a trip out to Nate's shop this weekend for a pickup so hopefully I'll be able to start an actual build thread. Very excited!
    That is exciting. Tell Nate I said hi.
    Looking forward to your thread.

Just ordered a cheapo laser crosshair on the eBays. Any good mounting ideas?
    Without knowing what you will use it for I'm going with a shark.

Jack.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Without knowing what you will use it for I'm going with a shark.

Jack.
    Bwwwwahahaha!!! ...... lol

I'm referring to mounting a laser crosshair on the Z axis for part placement and x/y offset. I use a USB camera on my current setup and wanted to try something different.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick question: to those that bought Saturns without electronics, did it come with the mounting hardware/bolts for the NEMA steppers?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick question: to those that bought Saturns without electronics, did it come with the mounting hardware/bolts for the NEMA steppers?
    Yes, for ours.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Yes, for ours.

David
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply David.

Just getting a few last minute things ready and then it's off to Lebanon PA at the "crack-of-stupid" tomorrow morning for an 8 hour drive there. Long drive but it'll save me about $1k to have it shipped across the border.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not with my Saturn 2, it comes with the cable chain for X & Y and the motors mount to the gear reduction drive but I ordered the NEMA 34 Plug and Play so that might be the difference.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, they are with the drive reduction. Just double check the stepper pulleys before you leave, the ones that shipped with my table had the wrong keyway slot size and it took over a month to get the correct ones. If you’re not getting steppers with the keyway it doesn’t matter but mine have a 5mm keyway since that’s what he suggested to get and the pulleys I received had a 2mm slot. Just make sure you get everything and everything is right since you won’t get a lot of after sale support from him if any.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Noted.

Actually I already bought some 20 tooth pulleys from Ali that are 14mm with a 5mm key. They weren't terribly expensive and I wasn't sure what the kit came with. Same with the coupler for the Z. That must've been a bit frustrating having to wait that long.

Downloads
    Uploads

Noted.

Actually I already bought some 20 tooth pulleys from Ali that are 14mm with a 5mm key. They weren't terribly expensive and I wasn't sure what the kit came with. Same with the coupler for the Z. That must've been a bit frustrating having to wait that long.

Yep, and I couldn’t find them outside of ordering them from China. The replacement ones came from CNC router parts so at least now I know where to get them. I actually tried to contact them since I didn’t see them on their site but they never got back to me. If I were you I would have them unstrap your machine so you can make sure the gantry moves smoothly before you take off. I’m having to do a bunch of work to get mine not to bind up. I’m sure I’ll get it a 100% but it shouldn’t take this much work and should ship close to perfect from the manufacturer.

Have them fix it while you’re there if there’s any issues so you don’t have to try and figure it out on your own if there’s a problem. Hopefully yours is fine but mine wasn’t and from what I’ve seen on the forum there have been others with a similar problem as me. Overall I’m very happy with the machine, there’s just some qc issues Nate needs to get sorted out. I almost think my gantry was used since the paint is all messed up on it.

Any way good luck and drive safely,

Dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast