Newbie Pre-Build Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Build Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Take a piece of string and run it along the path you expect to run the shielded cable. Then add at least 3', preferably 5'. I found a shielded cable on eBay and seems like it was 20' long, don't really remember. But when I ran it from the spindle and along the cable chains to my enclosure and cut it, after triple checking the length, I had far less remaining than I thought I would. And our machine is only a 2x4.

David
    I seem to remember buying 25ft and having about 5ft left over for a 4x2 machine. You will need a little more. The recommendation to use a string and add 3-5ft is good advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pre-Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    I seem to remember buying 25ft and having about 5ft left over for a 4x2 machine. You will need a little more. The recommendation to use a string and add 3-5ft is good advice.
    I looked up my purchase. I bought 25 feet of Igus CF896-15-04 (14ga) - for my 4'X4'. The outside diameter of the cable is .41". I only had a couple of feet left over. Keep in mind that where you place your VFD/VFD box will be a factor in determining how much cable you need. If I placed my VFD box near the center of one side of the Y axis, I would have purchased an additional 5'. Due to limited space, I placed mine at the rear of my machine. Unfortunately, there are a number of variables that drive the decision. Like other have mentioned, I used a string to get the length. I added a few feet to be sure I didn't come up short and ended up needing much of the extra.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I got mine from Automation Direct and it was a 20’ length. I’m very impressed by the quality of their VFD cable. I ordered 16-4 and it’s super flexible. Here’s the link of what I got https://www.automationdirect.com/pn/VFDC-16-4B-1
    I just ordered a 25' length from them as they have a Canadian shipping warehouse as well, thus avoiding tarrifs. Free shipping after $49 so it worked out ok. I will be mounting the VFD below the stand. Hopefully it will be long enough, Regardless I plan on wiring in a disconnect plug for it at some point. Speaking of: what sort of plug would people recommend for that? I would assume that a 4 pin aviation plug would not be enough?

Very excited ... parts have started rolling in. Got the ESS SmoothStepper yesterday.

Downloads
    Uploads

I took the el-cheapo plug off my spindle and went with the Amphenol - far, far better. I don't have the part number handy, though. On the enclosure I ran the cable through a grommet and connected to the VFD rather than have a connector at that end.

Pre-Build Thread-121-new-amphenol-connector-jpg

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wackocrash5150 View Post
    I would assume that a 4 pin aviation plug would not be enough?

I bought this plug:

Buy Cheap Waterproof Aviation Pannel Connector Adapter 4 P P20-4 Core

It's heavy and seems very well made. On the flip side, the cable clamp part was larger than the cable. I had to wrap the cable to get it clamp properly. I selected this one because it was waterproof and my spindle is water cooled. I anticipated that I would probably be disconnecting the water lines from time to time, and wanted to make sure no residual water would enter the plug. In practice, it turns out my concern was well founded. I had a slight twist in one of the water lines at the connector, which was restricting the water flow. I had to take it loose, and some coolant escaped.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using the Amphenol plug like David. They're about $20-$25.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered a 25' length from them as they have a Canadian shipping warehouse as well, thus avoiding tarrifs. Free shipping after $49 so it worked out ok. I will be mounting the VFD below the stand. Hopefully it will be long enough, Regardless I plan on wiring in a disconnect plug for it at some point. Speaking of: what sort of plug would people recommend for that? I would assume that a 4 pin aviation plug would not be enough?

Very excited ... parts have started rolling in. Got the ESS SmoothStepper yesterday.
    You won’t be disappointed with the cable it’s double shielded and crazy flexible. It’s definitely on the heavy duty side, also you should be fine with 25’ I have a 2x4 Saturn and with the 20’ I ordered I have more than enough left over. I have 7 feet of cable left from where it enters the drag chain. Look forward to seeing your table when it’s finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    You won’t be disappointed with the cable it’s double shielded and crazy flexible. It’s definitely on the heavy duty side, also you should be fine with 25’ I have a 2x4 Saturn and with the 20’ I ordered I have more than enough left over. I have 7 feet of cable left from where it enters the drag chain. Look forward to seeing your table when it’s finished.
    Good to know Ntl.
    When I talked to Nate last, he mentioned that the was waiting on a shipment of linear rails and that lead time was about 2 weeks or so. This gives me time to insulate the rest of my garage and run some 220 for this puppy. Guess what I'm doing this weekend? lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Been a little busy with my build but I'm looking froward yours.
    I also have a wood platform. Legs are 4x4. Plenty strong but not enough diagonal braces. That gantry has some gravity to it.
    If you go wood plan in as many diagonal braces as you can.

Jack.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post

Jack.
    Specifically in the Y direction. That's where you'll get some movement but you'll get almost none in the X direction. But a little give and take is probably better than making it so stiff it can't move at all. That would lead to fatigue and breaking. Allowing it to have a little flex is fine. Ours has been like that for two years now and it's holding up just fine.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Been a little busy with my build but I'm looking froward yours.
    I also have a wood platform. Legs are 4x4. Plenty strong but not enough diagonal braces. That gantry has some gravity to it.

Jack.
    That is too funny! Right around the same time you were posting that, I was watching one of your earlier YouTube videos concerning the stand. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if he ended up adding diagonal braces?"

Downloads
    Uploads

WHOOHOO! VFD cable showed up yesterday. Spindle and VFD showed up today! Looks like a genuine Huanyan so, that's a good thing. A quick continuity test revealed what I expected; no ground hooked up to pin 4. Tried to get the cap off but it's on there pretty good. Kit came with 15 collets but not sure if the one I need is in there. Most are various mm sizes. There are 2 labeled as 1/8" and another that just says "6-5" on it. Nothing clearly labeled as 1/4"

Last edited by wackocrash5150; 10-02-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

WHOOHOO! VFD cable showed up yesterday. Spindle and VFD showed up today! Looks like a genuine Huanyan so, that's a good thing. A quick continuity test revealed what I expected; no ground hooked up to pin 4. Tried to get the cap off but it's on there pretty good.

It took some effort to get the cap off my spindle as well. I don't know whether yours is a water cooled model; mine is. When I got the cap off, I didn't like the looks of the O-rings sealing the interior water ports. Because I didn't want to take any chances with water getting into the electrical, I elected to replace the o-rings. Even if they had looked good, I would have replaced them. The cheap insurance to head off a potential spindle-killing problem. I also used some silicone grease to lubricate the o-rings and hold them in place when I put the cap back on.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. Good to know that it's not just me. As I understand, hooking up that ground pin is a must.

Downloads
    Uploads

As I understand, hooking up that ground pin is a must.

Yes, connecting the ground pin is an absolute must.

Oh, and another tip. Do not try to use a ground fault breaker on the VFD circuit. Because of water circulating around a high voltage circuit, I added a ground fault breaker. I didn't want to touch the spindle or machine frame only to be knocked on my butt (or worse). Better safe than sorry. Turns out the theory was good, but actual practice was something else entirely. Every time I turned on the VFD, the circuit faulted. I checked everything, and it all checked out okay. I even tried hooking up other 240V tools to the circuit, and everything worked as it should. I was left to conclude that the VFD doesn't play well with ground fault breakers.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Noted! Thanks Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

That is too funny! Right around the same time you were posting that, I was watching one of your earlier YouTube videos concerning the stand. I remember thinking to myself "I wonder if he ended up adding diagonal braces?"
    I have not.
    It has a bit of sway in the Y direction. I will be adding braces though. I'm thinking of welding up some metal braces. Two for each 4x4.

Jack.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    It took some effort to get the cap off my spindle as well. I don't know whether yours is a water cooled model; mine is. When I got the cap off, I didn't like the looks of the O-rings sealing the interior water ports. Because I didn't want to take any chances with water getting into the electrical, I elected to replace the o-rings. Even if they had looked good, I would have replaced them. The cheap insurance to head off a potential spindle-killing problem. I also used some silicone grease to lubricate the o-rings and hold them in place when I put the cap back on.

Gary
    It happened.... used the spindle clamp to leverage the cap off as to hook up a ground pin. There was a decent amount of silicone in there so when I pulled the cap, one o-ring stayed intact but the other one tore in two. Off to the hardware store I go ....

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. I managed to find some o-rings at a farm supply store so that's a non issue now. Next big head-scratcher is the steppers and drivers. I can find a data sheet on the motor itself but nothing concerning the pinout of the DB9 connector so I know where to plug it in on the driver end. The motors are 86HB250-118D and the drivers are HB860D. If anyone has any info concerning wiring the encoders, that would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. I managed to find some o-rings at a farm supply store so that's a non issue now. Next big head-scratcher is the steppers and drivers. I can find a data sheet on the motor itself but nothing concerning the pinout of the DB9 connector so I know where to plug it in on the driver end. The motors are 86HB250-118D and the drivers are HB860D. If anyone has any info concerning wiring the encoders, that would be great.
    You will have to verify of course but I just looked at my notes.
    My notes have:
    Pin 6:Red:B
    Pin 7:Blue:B-
    Pin 8:Black:A-
    Pin 9:Brown:A

Your colors my vary.
    Pins 6-9 are on the short end. (https://www.db9-pinout.com/)

Jack

Jack

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast