New 2x4 Saturn build - Page 7

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2x4 Saturn build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Since in most cases, you'll only use 3 or 4 different sizes, I prefer quality collets. I use Teckniks, which are about $15 each.
    Thanks for that Gerry. I spent 40 minutes messing with a 6mm collet tonight that I got from Ebay for about the same price. I see Tecknicks on Amazon for $16. Ordered.
    Jack.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

So I made a wire bracket, installed my fans, proximity switches since the 2x4 doesn't have the holes or blocks installed from the factory, also got my new relay board installed. Getting closer every day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-img_4141-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-img_4142-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-img_4140-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks very nice, and the welding job is very professionally done.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Looks very nice, and the welding job is very professionally done.
    Thank you very much for compliment! I'm almost ready to build my enclosure door, still need to install my cooling system for the spindle then a bunch of little things. Just chipping away at stuff every day.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple more pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20181105_085635-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20181105_085831-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That keyboard and monitor arm looks really nice! Is it pretty stout?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    That keyboard and monitor arm looks really nice! Is it pretty stout?

David
    Thanks And yes its super heavy duty. Originally I was going to build one, but for a $130 for this one it wasn't worth it. The thing is overkill but it was cheaper than building one it's all steel and has a adjustable spring loaded arm so you can raise and lower it. And when I'm done it folds up over the table bed and takes up no space. My whole setup is self contained and can roll in the corner when I'm done using it, I'm super tight on space so all my tools are on wheels. I'll post more pics once everything is finished up.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Thanks And yes its super heavy duty. Originally I was going to build one, but for a $130 for this one it wasn't worth it. The thing is overkill but it was cheaper than building one it's all steel and has a adjustable spring loaded arm so you can raise and lower it. And when I'm done it folds up over the table bed and takes up no space. My whole setup is self contained and can roll in the corner when I'm done using it, I'm super tight on space so all my tools are on wheels. I'll post more pics once everything is finished up.

Dan
    That is a lot of cool for $130!. Good call. My station is front right against the wall. I need to move it. After a few hours of working with the CNC the left side of my neck really hurts from twisting my head right a 100 times.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    That is a lot of cool for $130!. Good call. My station is front right against the wall. I need to move it. After a few hours of working with the CNC the left side of my neck really hurts from twisting my head right a 100 times.
    Amazon

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple more photos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20181107_160409-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20181108_164324-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Since in most cases, you'll only use 3 or 4 different sizes, I prefer quality collets. I use Teckniks, which are about $15 each.
    Hey Gery what's a good starting point for bits and collets? I figure you're a good person to ask since you do it for a living. I will be routing a fair amount of of 063 aluminum sheet assuming that the router will handle it. Thanks for any suggestions you may have have. And I'm sure your starting to realize that my attitude was misplaced due to the issues with the machine. I didn't mean to take my frustrations out on people trying to be helpful.

For that I apologize I also think I was getting you mixed up with a different guy. Sorry again for being a dick.

Thanks,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I always recommend to buy what you need when you need it.
    People that buy "starter sets" never use most of them.

Having said that, most router bits are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" diameter. So those 4 sizes cover most bits.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool thanks buddy.

Downloads
    Uploads

So here's a picture of the router now that it's almost finished I just need to order some hardware that I didn't receive. I also have a bunch of little things to install and get dialed in. But I'm very close to finally be able to test the machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20181211_182610-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20181203_092343-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got to say that is a nice looking machine.
    Looking forward to it getting dirty.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Got to say that is a nice looking machine.
    Looking forward to it getting dirty.
    Thank you for the compliment! I am definitely looking forward to seeing some chips flying soon! I just need the missing hardware I ordered to show up and finish up a bunch of little things. Keeping my fingers crossed it cuts as good as it looks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hoping to get delivery of my Saturn 2x4 soon and would like to use your same platform setup. Can you share specs(size & gauge) on tubing you used and do you feel that any center joists are necessary?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Joesmo View Post
    Hoping to get delivery of my Saturn 2x4 soon and would like to use your same platform setup. Can you share specs(size & gauge) on tubing you used and do you feel that any center joists are necessary?
    I used 3" square tube and its .125 wall. And originally I was going to put some center bracing but it didn't need it, it's super rigid since it's steel and fully welded also the router has tons of bracing and it's not going to flex. If you were woried about it, you can easily run some center braces or weld a steel sheet to the top of the stand. I also attached a 3/4" sheet of MDF to the bottom for storage.

Just remember when building yours that the router uses metric steel tube so it's 80mm 3.14" not 3", and it's 4mm wall .157" so in between 1/8" and 3/16. I personally don't know of any metal suppliers that stock metric tube so just plan around it like I did. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

Last edited by Ntl; 12-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I got Vcarve pro and it's awesome! Here's my first test cut with the router even though it's not a 100% finished yet. I still have a bunch of little things to finish up. I just got impacent and had to cut something lol. And the text is a inside joke so don't ask lol.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20181216_100930-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20181216_100956-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. Originally thought the legs were 3" but thought the cross members might be 2.5". Just need to wait to have the machine on sight so I can get the exact measurements so I can fabricate the platform. Would love to see a video of your machine in action. That is one great setup.
    Joe

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast