New 2x4 Saturn build - Page 4


Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 298

Thread: New 2x4 Saturn build

  1. #37
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    That must be the plug and play version? Mine did not come with one for the Z axis.

    Jack.
    No I fabricated it.

    His kits don’t have a z cable chain.



  2. #38
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    If your purchasing the machine from FLA its already installed, the end that goes on the carriage attaches to some pre-drilled holes.
    Not the z axis mines my own design I fabricated.



  3. #39
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I too am interested in how you attached your Z-axis cable chain. I'm also curious about the cover over your router. How did you do it, and why did you do it?
    Aluminum, plasma cutter, press break, tig welder. And as far as why it was the best, simplest, cleanest, easiest way I could think of to design the assembly.



  4. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    376
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I too am interested in how you attached your Z-axis cable chain. I could see drilling and tapping holes in the Z carriage plate for the front attachment, but you may have come up with something far slicker. I could also envision something similar at the rear of the fixed riser. A few close up photos with short explanations of how you did it would be great. I'm also curious about the cover over your router. How did you do it, and why did you do it?

    Thank you,

    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Aluminum, plasma cutter, press break, tig welder. And as far as why it was the best, simplest, cleanest, easiest way I could think of to design the assembly.

    Okay, then. That sure clears up things.



  5. #41
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Okay, then. That sure clears up things.
    I designed and fabricated mine. If you’re interested in one send me a PM.

    Thanks,
    Dan



  6. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    That must be the plug and play version? Mine did not come with one for the Z axis.

    Jack.
    Nope. Just the 4x4 Saturn 2 it came with both cable chains already pre-installed. It was shipped in July 2018. Its posted on here back a ways as pictures of my build.

    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router


  7. #43
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Nope. Just the 4x4 Saturn 2 it came with both cable chains already pre-installed. It was shipped in July 2018. Its posted on here back a ways as pictures of my build.
    I don’t see a z axis cable chain on your table, only the x and y. He’s talking about the one I built that is connected to my z axis. The one that houses my water lines, VFD cable and proximity sensor cable. As far as I know Fineline doesn’t offer one.



  8. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I don’t see a z axis cable chain on your table, only the x and y. He’s talking about the one I built that is connected to my z axis. The one that houses my water lines, VFD cable and proximity sensor cable. As far as I know Fineline doesn’t offer one.
    Ok, well I do not need one, My power cable and prox switch cable run just fine without one. its only about 12 inches or so and they are routed out of the way.

    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router


  9. #45
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Ok, well I do not need one, My power cable and prox switch cable run just fine without one. its only about 12 inches or so and they are routed out of the way.
    It’s probably not a issue if you’re just running a 110 router with a small power cable, I have a water cooled spindle and it has a 1/2” VFD cable and two 1/2” water lines connected to it. I personally needed cable/water line management and I wanted a professional way to deal with it, I wasn’t comfortable with coolant and high voltage just dangling off the spindle. It was easy to do so I figured why not make one similar to what more industrial style routers, laser cutters, water jets, etc, use. No big deal if you’re not interested I just figured I’d put it out there since another machine owner asked about it. Feel free not to follow my build. I’m not worried about it.

    Apparently the majority of the members on here either have nothing to learn, don’t like me or has some sort of other agenda which I can’t seem to figure out.

    I apologize if I offend anyone by sharing my build, knowledge, or industry experience.. Apparently some people don’t like a build that is a little different. I really don’t know why a lot of members seem to be giving me a hard time about my posts.

    Like I said anyone that isn’t interested in how I’m building my router please ignore me or don’t follow my progress. I thought that it would be helpful or interesting for some people and I’m proud of showing my work. I suppose it’s similar to the custom truck, hot rod, bike building industry that I’ve been involved in for 20 + years “haters gonna hate”. I had no idea cnc guys were that way, but it makes sense since some fabricators are that way.

    Or maybe I just rub you guys the wrong way and if that’s the case I apologize since I’m new to the forum and that’s not my intention.

    Thanks,
    Dan



  10. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Dan, Absolutely nothing meant by any of my posting is directed toward you. Its just interesting how people do different things to build their machine, the way they want it. My router is 2.25 Hp but it could be much larger but the power cord will be as it is now 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. I have it supported by a rubber lined clamp on one side out of the way so I really don't have a need for a Z cable track. The other side same way for the Proximity switch cable, it just rides up and down with the Z. I did have a smaller router also with VFD and water hoses, it came from the factory configured as above.

    I am looking forward to the results of your build. Thanks for posting!!

    PS How many Hp are you running? Just wondering if I am going to be underpowered. I have a couple of jobs to run tomorrow that are going to take hours.

    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router


  11. #47
    Member Ntl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    378
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Dan, Absolutely nothing meant by any of my posting is directed toward you. Its just interesting how people do different things to build their machine, the way they want it. My router is 2.25 Hp but it could be much larger but the power cord will be as it is now 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. I have it supported by a rubber lined clamp on one side out of the way so I really don't have a need for a Z cable track. The other side same way for the Proximity switch cable, it just rides up and down with the Z. I did have a smaller router also with VFD and water hoses, it came from the factory configured as above.

    I am looking forward to the results of your build. Thanks for posting!!

    PS How many Hp are you running? Just wondering if I am going to be underpowered. I have a couple of jobs to run tomorrow that are going to take hours.
    No worries, it’s a 3hp spindle. I’m sure a router would have met my short term needs but I didn’t want to deal with the noise and I’m hopeful that the water cooled can do some aluminum cutting since they can run at lower rpms. I know they don’t have much torque under a certain rpm but I figured it’s worth trying since it’s just aluminum sheet and not very thick that I need to cut. I also figured worst case I save my hearing by running a spindle vs a router.

    As for some of the other things I said they weren’t just directed at you and if I was out of line I didn’t mean to be.

    Thanks
    Dan



  12. #48
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    33249
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

    Apparently the majority of the members on here either have nothing to learn, don’t like me or has some sort of other agenda which I can’t seem to figure out.

    I don't think any members here feel that way, or have any agenda. It's just what you are reading into the posts.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

New 2x4 Saturn build

New 2x4 Saturn build