New 2x4 Saturn build - Page 25

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425

Thread: New 2x4 Saturn build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

So here's some video of something new that I cut out. As well as a picture of the part after stain and seal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20190213_214146-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More

- - - Updated - - -

Last one https://youtu.be/HGo6vhoivpo

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice. So far my Mach3 is still working but this is the way to go.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    More

- - - Updated - - -

Last one
    Yeah I wouldn't change over either if it's working for you. At the end of the day if it's not broken why fix it. How did the probe work out for you? There's a Digitizing package that they have for my controller that I'm trying to find a reason to justify getting lol. But it would work for part setups, but I doubt it would really save any real time. I just think the probes are really cool and I'm curious how the hobby one's that we can afford work. No way I can afford the Centroid one even though apparently it's inexpensive as far as probes are concerned. Seems crazy to me but I guess for the guys who have mills that cost as much as homes in certain areas it makes sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well done NTL. You are plowing through that learning curve.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the probe is just a NC switch that can be opened by a touch pressure, up or down or from any side. I do know know how the one for yours works, perhaps the same? Then you need software to set up a grid probe cycle and it saves the points it finds to a file. I think I paid $135 for mine.
    The file created is a "point cloud" can can be converted to a 3D model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Well the probe is just a NC switch that can be opened by a touch pressure, up or down or from any side. I do know know how the one for yours works, perhaps the same? Then you need software to set up a grid probe cycle and it saves the points it finds to a file. I think I paid $135 for mine.
    The file created is a "point cloud" can can be converted to a 3D model.
    Does the probe seem to work well? As for the software if I get a probe I'm going to get the digitizing add on from Centroid since it's designed for my controller. Hindsight I should have just done it from the beginning since it was only a extra $260 on top of what I paid. I just didn't think at the time I would ever use it. I'm just curious if it would be worth investing in, or if it's more of a novelty.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Well done NTL. You are plowing through that learning curve.
    Thank you and yes I'm finally starting to get a grasp on everything. It was very overwhelming learning everything all at once. Honestly now after getting more comfortable with everything I've come to realize that the best way to learn is by doing what we all did and just jump in headfirst and learn to swim. It's great that everyone on the forums are so helpful and try so hard to help fellow cnc owners out. I know I've been a pain at times due to some of the frustrations I've been dealing with on the machine.

I've still have a lot to learn, but at least I'm making parts and getting better at it. The design part is by far the most time consuming but also the most rewarding part.

Now I just have to fight the urge to install a ATC, since most of my designs use multiple tool changes and I would love to automate the process. It's just so hard to justify spending more money on the spindle than the router cost lol. I still can't understand why they cost so much money.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I just have to fight the urge to install a ATC, since most of my designs use multiple tool changes and I would love to automate the process. It's just so hard to justify spending more money on the spindle than the router cost lol. I still can't understand why they cost so much money.

Dan
    They cost a lot because they are so useful and time saving. Kinda like the cost amplifying words "safety", "baby", "marriage", to name a few :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the probe seem to work well? As for the software if I get a probe I'm going to get the digitizing add on from Centroid since it's designed for my controller. Hindsight I should have just done it from the beginning since it was only a extra $260 on top of what I paid. I just didn't think at the time I would ever use it. I'm just curious if it would be worth investing in, or if it's more of a novelty.

Thanks
    Kind of like waiting for paint to dry, however if you have a really hard part to draw or a hand carved item for example and wanted to duplicate there is a way with this. The Mach3 software for the probe and to convert the point cloud to a STL is free, and works. The Crafty CNC software is a step up for some types of probing and is only $15 more with the purchase of his probe.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425