New 2x4 Saturn build - Page 19

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2x4 Saturn build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    As for the gantry being square I already did that when I installed the new gantry and thankfully the new router update that should be released anytime now for Centroid Acorn has auto square. So if it's not perfect now it will be very soon.
    Thanks again,
    Dan

Not sure what Centroid's approach is but it's come up before. I believe the Saturn is too stiff for auto square.

Jack.

BTW: Nice work.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

It's based on the homing sensors. I would Loosen the bolts, use the sensors to square up the gantry then tighten every thing down. I don't have the steel gantry on my machine anymore so I have a lot more adjustment for my gantry.

I do see your point, the function is really more for routers that have a long gantry, it would probably work better for your machine since yours would have more play due to the length than my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Gary Campbell over on the Sawmill Creek Forum makes a living retro fitting old CNC machines and he swears by the Acorn and uses them a lot.
    Gary frequently posts here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Will the folks using Mach3 who have had the Z plunge into your work or spoilboard please raise your hand??

Yes just two times for me.
    Never in the 10 years I've been using it. But I switched to UCCNC for lots of other reasons.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Will the folks using Mach3 who have had the Z plunge into your work or spoilboard please raise your hand??
    Never had any issues like that with Mach3, but I also switched to UCCNC a long time ago.
    UCCNC makes autosquaring perfectly BTW.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the slots cut for the t-track today I'll post the video later tonight. I still need to cut the pieces to fill in the blanks cut the slots for the end pieces with my router and drill out and cut the aluminum angle that's chilling in the picture.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20190109_193231-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the video.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious, but what are you going to do with the aluminum angle?

I'm not a big fan of auto squaring, and like Jack said, the Saturn is too stiff to use it. He has a 4 x 4, and his longer gantry is still not a good candidate for auto squaring (think auto forcing, or auto twisting or auto flexing). I could be wrong, but I believe there is a general consensus on the matter. Run a squaring routine, loosen bolts, adjust gantry, tighten bolts and keep repeating until it as close as your tolerance for error allows. All CNC owners have their own tolerance for error. I'm sure some are happy if the gantry is within 1/10 inch of square. That's fine. Others, like me, have a very low tolerance, want it dead-on square, and will put in the time to get it there.

Also, I don't know whether you considered it, but you can't necessarily rely on placement of the aluminum pieces that trip the sensors. Some have some minor adjustability; others do not. The fact that there is some variation in mounting suggests that relying on their placement to be optimal may be a mistake. Auto squaring to them could turn out to be auto 'out of squaring.' You probably won't be able to tell, unless or until the gantry is squared mechanically. Just my 2 cents.

Downloads
    Uploads

The angle is just drops that I have a box of from a friend who was scraping them. I'm using them to hold the MDF strips in place and cover the gap so chips don't fall through. And I already squared my gantry when I installed the new aluminum extrusion I double checked it today when I was setting up the backlash comp in the software. It works great by the way. Also my machine didn't come with the sensor blocks installed since it's a 2x4, I installed them and I have a 1/2 " of adjustment in each direction. With the proximity sensors you can also adjust the trigger point by moving them closer to the material and if you use steel to trigger them they're more accurate. I may make some steel blocks since they seem to be more accurate with steel compared with the aluminum ones.

I'll let you know how the auto square works when the update comes out they're claiming it will be very soon.

Also they have a expansion board that will be released soon that gives a additional 16 inputs and 16 outputs I don't think anyone will complain that they can't run a 4th axis anymore lol. If you check out their forum they have pictures of the expansion board. I might have to pick up one of those 4/5th axis ebay kits just to see what the hype is about, I guess I could make some parts for my rc Axial Bomber lol. I already made a custom steel cage for it. I'll post a picture from my phone in a few.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20190109_234348-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20190109_234259-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20190109_234508-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20190110_001753-jpg  

Last edited by Ntl; 01-10-2019 at 03:18 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted to post a couple of pictures for anyone who is wondering if the Oneida Dust Deputy works and if it's worth the 100 bucks. I think the pictures tell you what you need to know. And no I didn't empty the shop vac before I took the picture.

Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2x4 Saturn build-20190112_125119-jpg   New 2x4 Saturn build-20190112_125216-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have one and it allows me to use my shop vac as a dust collector which I really do not have room for..... If I had a shop full of woodworking tools that would be different but just my CNC router does not justify.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep the thing works amazingly well, I just need to either build a enclosure with sound deadening material or get a quieter shop vac. The one I have is unbearably loud. I'm trying to decide what I want to do since I haven't heard in person how loud some of the low decibel vacuums are and if they are worth the high price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Yep the thing works amazingly well, I just need to either build a enclosure with sound deadening material or get a quieter shop vac. The one I have is unbearably loud. I'm trying to decide what I want to do since I haven't heard in person how loud some of the low decibel vacuums are and if they are worth the high price.
    I have a metal dust deputy, a plastic one, and a metal super dust deputy. All three use metal drums with seals. The metal deputy is on a cart with my shop vac and is hooked up with a long PVC pipe arm to keep the hose overhead. I have it set up with an on-demand on/off switch, so when I start up a power tool, like a sander or my track saw, the vac comes on automatically and runs for a short time after turning the tool off, which allows the hose to clear. The plastic one is is dedicated to my Festool chop saw. The Super Dust Deputy is set up with my dust collection system (cabinet saw, jointer, planer, CNC and band saw). It is set up with the motor & fan from a conventional 2hp top/bottom bag dust collector. The exhaust goes into a Wynn Environmental large pleated HEPA filter with a small bucket attached to the bottom. I've never had enough dust get to the filter bucket to have to bother emptying it. I get zero dust into my shop and I don't have to exhaust it to the outside. It's a home brew design. I wouldn't be without a cyclone system (or in my case, 3 of them).

There are some articles online about making sound insulated shop vac enclosures. I thought about it for a time, but ditched the idea over concerns with the vac overheating in an insulated container. They make shop vac mufflers, which I have on my largest and noisiest vac. It cuts the noise some, and It doesn't seem to compromise the suction. I wouldn't call it the be all-end all, but I've found it worth the price. Here's a link to one at the orange box store: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2...vacuum%7D%3Aqu They also have them on Amazon.

Folks who have the high end vacs, like the Festool, Fein and Bosch really love them, but reduced noise isn't something I see talked about much. Usually, the focus is on the tool auto on and suction. The consensus seems to be that once you go there, you never go back. On advantage to festool (and price is never an advantage with their products) is the ability to integrate a dust deputy with them. Oneida designed an add-on unit specifically for Festool that piggy backs on the vac unit. Very Slick. Unlike all things Festool related, it's outrageously expensive. Here's a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VR65OE...f-8bb662b84541 . I would love to buy one of the high end vacs, but it seems like I always have something else competing for my $$$.

Gary

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast