thinking about buying a fineline Saturn - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: thinking about buying a fineline Saturn

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: thinking about buying a fineline Saturn

I don't really see where it actually says the Acorn is included in that poll.

That poll was from 2017, and the Acorn wasn't even available until September. And if you go to the CNC Cookbook Website, there are two polls, a "high end" poll, and a "low end" poll. I would think the differentiating factor would be cost, which should put the Acorn into the "low end" poll.

Out of the 500 people that apparently responded to that poll, I'd be surprised if there were 5 Acorn users out of the 500.

And I certainly don't know why you would base a purchase decision based on that poll.

Having said that, I'm not knocking the Acorn at all. From what I've heard, it's a very good control. Maybe the best under $1500 control out there, IF it fits your needs.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm probably in the minority, but I like having 6-axis capability for future expansion. I plan to add a rotary axis in the future. For me, being limited to 4 axes would be a deal breaker. I like flexibility and had that in mind when I build my control system.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I like having 6-axis capability for future expansion. I plan to add a rotary axis in the future. For me, being limited to 4 axes would be a deal breaker. I like flexibility and had that in mind when I build my control system.

Gary
    Hey Gary I was wondering if you could post pictures of products you’ve made with your Saturn? I would love to see some of your work. Actually any one commenting with a Fineline Saturn can you please post some pics of products you’ve made with your routers? I’ve seen some of David’s products but honestly not much more. Maybe someone could start a thread on Fineline Automation product pictures? I’m sure it would be great for prospective buyers or new table owners to see the capabilities of the equipment. I love pictures or videos of cool things!!

Thanks,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Hey Gary I was wondering if you could post pictures of products you’ve made with your Saturn? I would love to see some of your work.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Hello Dan,

I don't have much going on with my CNC right now. My latest project involves making some cuts in door jambs for and exterior door and side light assembly for my front door. I'm still working on it. I can take some pics, but I'm not sure something so mundane will have all that much broad appeal. However, I do like the idea of general contribution of pics of what we're working on. Thank you for making the suggestion. When I get the time to take photos, I'll start a separate thread that others can add to, assuming someone doesn't start one first.

To correct a mistaken impression, I don't yet have a Saturn, although I plan to order a Saturn 2 in the next few days. I'm currently working on the logistics of getting the machine from my driveway to my shop. I have to move it over uneven terrain, which presents significant issues with something so heavy. I'll get it worked out, but I'm no pulling the trigger until I have it all worked out. Right now, I'm using a Fineline 80/20 kit machine.

Thanks again for you suggestion.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jram View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I have decided to go with the Saturn 2- 2x4 with the plug and play system for now . I will most likely be writing a grant for another machine in the spring and will go with either the 4x4 or a 4x8. One of our shops is very small so the 2x4 will work well in that space.I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
    So did you get your table ordered? Mines being delivered this week.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So did you get your table ordered? Mines being delivered this week.
    Yes made the order today! Looking forward to hearing how your delivery experience goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic, guys! Looking forward to new build threads even if it's plug and play.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Fantastic, guys! Looking forward to new build threads even if it's plug and play.

David
    Well it’s here.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thinking about buying a fineline Saturn-d0b1b544-18b6-4d89-8af6-b935d3d1ddda-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, its the same color as mine? Plug N Play is a relative term, he still has a Lot of work to do. But he can take comfort in the fact that it will work when he gets done with it. Finding the right Mach3 files might take some looking around. I do have one that works for mine, if needed.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Hey, its the same color as mine? Plug N Play is a relative term, he still has a Lot of work to do. But he can take comfort in the fact that it will work when he gets done with it. Finding the right Mach3 files might take some looking around. I do have one that works for mine, if needed.
    I’m not the original poster, I didn’t get a plug and play. I’ll start a new thread to throw up some pictures when it’s done. I just wanted to show the guy who was talking about ordering one that mine was delivered today.

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it’s here.
    Nice! Thanks for posting this. I ordered on Monday and haven’t heard a word but I’m sure he’ll contact me soon. Is it light enough that you can slide it across the floor on the skid.? It says that approx. shipping weight is 526 lbs but it doesn’t look that heavy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Thanks for posting this. I ordered on Monday and haven’t heard a word but I’m sure he’ll contact me soon. Is it light enough that you can slide it across the floor on the skid.? It says that approx. shipping weight is 526 lbs but it doesn’t look that heavy.
    No unless you have very smooth concrete or a couple guys you’re not moving it. Its big and heavy. This is a real piece of equipment. Don’t blow out a nut trying to muscle it with out some friends or a lift.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thinking about buying a fineline Saturn-36a0f149-2ab1-4dde-adf2-e27a4552d6ea-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

No unless you have very smooth concrete or a couple guys you’re not moving it. Its big and heavy. This is a real piece of equipment. Don’t blow out a nut trying to muscle it with out some friends or a lift.
    Btw I’m not sure why this forum posts pictures in landscape instead of portrait. They need to fix that problem, that’s not how the pictures were taken.

Downloads
    Uploads

What did you take the picture with?

I've never had it rotate my pictures.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What did you take the picture with?

I've never had it rotate my pictures.
    Just my iPhone, it’s weird because I posted the exact same photo on Centroids forum and it didn’t rotate it. Only the cnc zone IT geeks know why.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It only happens on this forum and this response is about all the effort I’m gonna put into fixing it. Like I said I literally posted the same picture on a different forum with no issues. End of conversation guy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, just an update on my order. I ordered on Sept 7 and am still waiting for shipment. I have contacted Nate and a shipment of gear rack is stuck in customs. Just thought I’d give an update in case any others are considering ordering soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, just an update on my order. I ordered on Sept 7 and am still waiting for shipment. I have contacted Nate and a shipment of gear rack is stuck in customs. Just thought I’d give an update in case any others are considering ordering soon.

Really? I have an email saying linear rail stuck in customs, not gear rack. I believe some one else (not you?) spoke about linear rails a short while back. It really doesn't matter, except I hate to think multiple stories are being floated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe the gear rack and rails are both in the same shipment? Its my guess a lot of orders from everyone is stuck because of Trumps Tariffs.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast