thinking about buying a fineline Saturn - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: thinking about buying a fineline Saturn

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: thinking about buying a fineline Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Maybe the gear rack and rails are both in the same shipment? Its my guess a lot of orders from everyone is stuck because of Trumps Tariffs.

You're probably right. Since you need both rails and racks at the same time to build out a machine, it probably orders both at the same time. Makes sense to me. Also, if he orders from different vendors, one could be released from customs while the other remains longer. No reason why they should be released at the same time. Thanks for pointing this out.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Really? I have an email saying linear rail stuck in customs, not gear rack. I believe some one else (not you?) spoke about linear rails a short while back. It really doesn't matter, except I hate to think multiple stories are being floated.
    Actually,he may have said that the linear rails were delayed, was one or the other.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all, just wanted to give an update. I have cancelled my order with Fineline due to lack of communication as he promised to email or call with an update over 11 days ago and has not responded to my call or emails. My card has already been charged for 4499.00 and we could no longer continue down this road of uncertainty.The last time we spoke, he said that "the team" is working on the order. I see from facebook that he is an Edward Jones Investment person, this may be the reason he doesn't have the time to run a business.I am going another direction and will be spending a bit more to get a larger machine. Note: (He hasn't yet responded to the email or call from me cancelling the order either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. I've often wondered whether Nate did enough business to make a living from it. Due to the persistent problems getting back to customers suggested to me that maybe he had a "day job." Turns out he does, and has had since at least at least Oct. 2013. He started at Dutch Valley Foods as a software developer. Then, last June, he left Dutch Valley Foods and went to work for Edward Jones as a Financial Advisor. I looked him up at Edward Jones and found that there are two other Lowries, Rob and Craig, working there as financial advisors. All three are working out of Lebanon, PA., which, not coincidentally, is the home of Fineline Automation.

I'm not grousing about, or begrudging, Nate having a day job. I'm guessing that if he could make a living from selling CNCs, he probably would. Having said that, the customer service problems are pretty much inevitable - as are cancelled orders. It all figures into the cost-benefit analysis for both buyer and seller. I'm sticking with my order, at least for the shorter term.

Downloads
    Uploads

His customer service issues have been around for a lot longer than 5 years.
    Afaik, he's always delivered what was ordered, just not as timely as some people would like.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If he charged you the same prices as CAMaster and shipped ASAP would you buy one??

I looked all over before selecting the FLA machine. There is nothing on the market with the quality and built to match unless you go for a least 2x (3 to 4x) more and get a CAMaster or other machine. It seems the hold up now is because of Trumps tariffs on Chinese imports, so put the blame where it belongs.

Nate has every right to not to make it a full time job, but he really needs to make an effort to communicate.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 10-17-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Nate has never failed to deliver anything I've ordered or asked for. Some things have been timely, some have taken a few extra calls, texts, emails, but he's always come through. Btw, it was never a secret that he has a full-time day job. I think he would really like to be doing FLA full-time.

I've owned two businesses and each was very different in staffing, overhead, sales, etc. So while I have a good idea what it would take for Nate to go full-time I wouldn't begin to think I know exactly what it would take for him to do so. In the meantime, bringing on a reliable person to handle communications would greatly benefit his business, reputation, and image. But that's not my call, either...

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

We are working hard to get orders out. The hold up on the Saturns has been a shipment of linear rails which has been stuck in customs since 9/3. We build in a 3 week buffer time to clear customs and normally it takes less than a week. However, we are at 6 weeks out. It should be coming in tomorrow and Saturns will again start going out.

We are putting a team in place to manage and run the business. Getting that in place has been a challenge and we are still working things out.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hooray! I just got notice that the linear rails have cleared customs are on the way to FLA. I can expect tracking of my Saturn 2 on Monday. I'm glad I decided to hang in there.

I agree with all the comments about FLA. I originally bought a 4x4 kit machine back when. There were a couple of hiccups with parts. Nate took care of them and did so quickly. I know about customer service issues before hand (I did my due diligence), but chose to give it a shot anyway. At the end of the day, I was satisfied - satisfied enough to order the Saturn 2. I understand that FLA was a victim of the tariffs, and don't blame the company for something beyond its control. It is what it is, and will sort itself out over time. Just glad Nate was able to help me set expectations and my machine is only a few days away from being on its way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody who has been in the "real world" lately knows how hard it is to hire good help. The younger generation would rather live in mommy and daddys basement than work. I can cite two examples directly I Know!

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully part of the new team will be someone who will communicate in a timely manner. Most of us can make do with delays in shipments, etc., but next to zero communication is beyond frustrating - it creates doubt, loss of confidence. I've been waiting for one word, any word about a z axis bearing failure for one month. Not a word.

That has nothing to do with tariffs.

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    Hopefully part of the new team will be someone who will communicate in a timely manner. Most of us can make do with delays in shipments, etc., but next to zero communication is beyond frustrating - it creates doubt, loss of confidence. I've been waiting for one word, any word about a z axis bearing failure for one month. Not a word.

Mick, check your inbox. We got a new ballnut coming your way tomorrow.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Mick, check your inbox. We got a new ballnut coming your way tomorrow.
    I checked my inbox every day for the past month. Thanks for replying to my prior public post immediately.

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post

I completely agree, a single email goes a long way in alleviating some of the worries. I really think it looks like a nice machine but the place I work has now asked that we do not attempt to do business with him again. One of my colleagues was really interested in two of his larger machines but it’s now a no go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    We are working hard to get orders out. The hold up on the Saturns has been a shipment of linear rails which has been stuck in customs since 9/3. We build in a 3 week buffer time to clear customs and normally it takes less than a week. However, we are at 6 weeks out. It should be coming in tomorrow and Saturns will again start going out.

We are putting a team in place to manage and run the business. Getting that in place has been a challenge and we are still working things out.
    Could you work hard to send me the rest of the machine I ordered??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234