Build Thread My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2 4x4 Machine

Thread: My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2 4x4 Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2 4x4 Machine

I have owned a couple of smaller CNC routers but I wanted a larger machine. I decided on this one as it looks to be well designed and built. When it arrived at the FedEx truck terminal I picked it up the next day on my modified 5x8 ft trailer. I had added some 4x4 inch spacers to make sure it cleared my fenders. My trailer is rated for 1800 lbs so no issues

Attaching a few pictures to show the progress.

I assembled the frame first. It took nearly 100 M6 screws and a few hours to put together. It has very nice casters and feet for leveling already attached. To get the machine on the frame took awhile, I used a hoist and got it placed and then the fun began. The bolts are metric equal to 1/2 inch and the holes on the frame are very nearly the same size. It turned out to be an impossible task. I finally gave up, and just dropped some smaller bolts in the holes just to make sure it was indexed and would not slide off. On a frame this large, it needs to be jig welded and not bolted together.

It would have really helped to have some sort of documentation with the machine.

My next task was figuring out how to put the stepper motors and gear drives together.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_2992-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_2994-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_2996-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_2997-jpg  

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2 4x4 Machine

Looking forward to the build! It's a stout looking machine, for sure.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

So today I decided to find the logical place for the control panel. Yes I purchased the NEMA 34 plug and play package I just want something to work when I got done. The motors are pre-wired with metal plugs and just ready to plug in, so its plug and play!! Getting the motors and gear drives figured out and mounted was a chore. Some instructions or detail pictures would help. I will add some in my next post. But today was mount the box day and tomorrow will be pulling wires day.
    The pre-wired control box was mounted on the right side and controls facing the operator on the router machine front (side) of the panel. I have built my share of control panels over the past 30-40 years and this one was done very nicely.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3022-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3023-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3024-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3026-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Locating the gear drives and NEMA 34 motors and then figuring out how to mount. Fine Line Automation sources all the electronics and motors from CNCRouter Parts. I purchased the Plug and Play prewired kit. Same price for the kit either way and its all shipped with the machine. The documentation is online only. Its hard to do online when your computer is 6 to 25 feet away.

I will post some pictures that I hope will help the next person. I am impressed by the heavy duty construction of the entire machine.

The one picture with the pencil showing the nut you need to remove, the other picture is noting the X motor. The tape measure is pointing out the distance above the motor flange for the gear location. The X motor as its the same gear drive as the others, since its mounted flat, I needed to add a very thin SS Washer to prevent the body of the gear drive from rubbing on the frame. The other issue with the X is the large gear is rubbing on the proximity switch block. It needs to be removed and a notch cut or milled for clearance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3012-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3013-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3016-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3017-jpg  

My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3019-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I am a little behind on posting, but Nate I did the tramming on the router mount and of course the router. It was right on the money, even after shipping and getting on the stand. Tell the guys great job.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same issue with that block on the X axis. A little work to file a chamfer cleared it. Another minor design issue is the grease fittings on top of the Z axis motor bed. I accidentally snapped both of them by hitting the top bracket while auto tuning my servos. Some sort of bumper there would seem to be a good idea.

Robb

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished up the kit build I had to make two changes to the right side X Homing Proximity Switch. Mill or cut out the block for clearance and remount the switch lower by drilling another hole in the bracket. In the software profile I downloaded from CNC Router Parts the supplier of the control system I just had to reverse the direction of the X axis. No big deal.

The next surprise.... was no surprises! Everything worked as it should, Homing and the Spindle on / off in this case my Hitachi 2.25 Hp router motor which turned out to very quiet, even at the highest speed. I did some test for calibration a 6 inch square and 5 inch diameter. The turned out the right size and no egg shaped circle.

I did my test job on some scrap and marked up particle board that was once a shelf for something. As you can see the results in the picture, even the hair on the muzzle of the pup was done. Pencil for size reference. Reminder this is done on a rack and pinion machine with a ball screw only for the Z.

Sure I need to neat up the install a bit, but all my cable supports are drilled and tapped into the frame. The box cables are out of the way and for now just fine. Next step dust control. Yes and waiting for the 5x8 foot MDF 3/4 inch thick, its a "special order" kind of like everything is in this area of say 250,000 people!!

I say job well done to Nate and crew at Fine Line Automation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-modstorightx-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-img_3077-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-cablexlside-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-controlbox-jpg  

My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-ginatrial-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-ginadetailscrapwood-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nicely done, good job!

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Nicely done, good job!

David
    Thanks David I gained a lot of knowledge from your posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I assembled the frame first. It took nearly 100 M6 screws and a few hours to put together. It has very nice casters and feet for leveling already attached. To get the machine on the frame took awhile, I used a hoist and got it placed and then the fun began. The bolts are metric equal to 1/2 inch and the holes on the frame are very nearly the same size. It turned out to be an impossible task. I finally gave up, and just dropped some smaller bolts in the holes just to make sure it was indexed and would not slide off. On a frame this large, it needs to be jig welded and not bolted together.

Did you ever get the machine to bolt to the frame base kit? If so, how did you do it? I'm looking at the Saturn 2 and the frame base, but would like to know what I'm up against. I'm also curious about rigidity. In other posts where folks made wooden bases, I noted discussion about needing a lot of bracing to contain movement. Have you noted any movement in frame kit?

Thank you,

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Did you ever get the machine to bolt to the frame base kit? If so, how did you do it? I'm looking at the Saturn 2 and the frame base, but would like to know what I'm up against. I'm also curious about rigidity. In other posts where folks made wooden bases, I noted discussion about needing a lot of bracing to contain movement. Have you noted any movement in frame kit?

Thank you,

Gary
    I have one bolt in and snugged down. The other holes have bolts to index but not hold down. It does not move since I have it up on wood shim blocks on one side to level. Doing it over again, the holes in the machine need to be way larger to accommodate the alignment issue. I would have drilled them larger before placing on the frame. The entire machine is very heavy, the welds are perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

I installed the table which was a 5x5 by 1/2 thick plywood down first and then a 5x5 by 3/4 inch MDF using M6 flat head screws counter sunk about 3/8 below the surface. Then used a 2 inch diameter spoil board bit to level it off. Then routed grooves for my T Track to mount. I spaced on about 8 inch centers.
    The screen is the new modified Simple Screen, a lot easier to see on a laptop!
    Now I am done and ready to do whatever.!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-tabletrack-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-routertablefull-jpg   My Fine Line Automation - Saturn 2  4x4  Machine-screen-jpg