Dual Wood and Plasma Cutting Tram Plate

Thread: Dual Wood and Plasma Cutting Tram Plate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dual Wood and Plasma Cutting Tram Plate

Hey Fella's

I am very new to this. but I have a 4x4 Saturn from FLA. I am setting it up now with the plug and play electronics and I had a thought. would it be possible to mount a router/spindle AND the rig for the plasma cutter on the mounting plate? that way I could just add the water table to the spoil board remove the bit from the router and then mount the plasma torch on the plate? Since the plasma kit electronics from CNC Router parts have a Torch Height control, I would think that exactly vertical and plum mounting of the torch isn't that important. I haven't yet trammed my router plate and I can't imagine going back over all that every time you want to switch over from plasma back to spindle.

Has anyone attempted such a thing? or have any thoughts on it?

Thank you

-Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dual Wood and Plasma Cutting Tram Plate

You could probably mount it right in front of the spindle on another mount you made but however here is the bad part. I owned a PlasmaCAM for about 3 years or so. Your handling and storing heavy sheets of steel, the plasma dust is everywhere. Ten years later I am still finding it. Your dealing with sparks and hot metal in a wood working area. The plasma torch might interfere with the electronics in the control box. You will soon tire of the switching back and forth.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I also agree that a combination wood router/plasma in not a very good idea, especially when you add a water table.
    You'll have a water table filled with sawdust, and sparks starting fires in piles of dust, unless you keep everything really cleaned up. And the changeover would be a real pita.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

To be clear, I would only put the water table on when plasma cutting and take it off for wood cutting. I haven’t cut much with a plasma cutter. Does it get into the gears and rails of the y axis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meilcowski View Post
    To be clear, I would only put the water table on when plasma cutting and take it off for wood cutting. I haven’t cut much with a plasma cutter. Does it get into the gears and rails of the y axis?

It gets into everything, a good exhaust fan system would help. Not your sawdust filled dust collector. Yes wear a face mask, you do not want to breathe the stuff. And yes I had a water table, it helped but dust still got all over.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by meilcowski View Post
    Hey Fella's

I am very new to this. but I have a 4x4 Saturn from FLA. I am setting it up now with the plug and play electronics and I had a thought. would it be possible to mount a router/spindle AND the rig for the plasma cutter on the mounting plate? that way I could just add the water table to the spoil board remove the bit from the router and then mount the plasma torch on the plate? Since the plasma kit electronics from CNC Router parts have a Torch Height control, I would think that exactly vertical and plum mounting of the torch isn't that important. I haven't yet trammed my router plate and I can't imagine going back over all that every time you want to switch over from plasma back to spindle.

Has anyone attempted such a thing? or have any thoughts on it?

Thank you

-Michael
    I won’t speak to whether or not you should do what you’re proposing, but I can answer your original question. You can put both on the tramming plate, but it will require modification of the plate/router mount. The best arrangement would be putting the torch in front of the router. Most torch mounts are magnetically held in place and that would be a good option here since the torch would then be easily removable.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Nate. That helps.