tramming process Saturn 2

Thread: tramming process Saturn 2

Default tramming process Saturn 2

Hi guys - is there any defined process for tramming spindle? Vaguely think I've seen a thread on it but cannot locate...

Thanks,
    Alan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tramming process Saturn 2

I just checked the folder on my upgrade to the tramming plate but I apparently didn't do any video, just a few photos for reference. Basically, I just took measurements for the spindle height in the mount, took the spindle and mount off, and replaced the existing plate with the new tramming plate. Once the new plate was mounted I used a dial indicator to ensure the spindle traveled the Z range with no runout. Not sure that helps...

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

There are a couple of ways it can be done. One is with a tramming indicator like this mounted in the spindle. The other is to use a wide table mill (flycutter) bit and trial and error.
    The tramming plate Nate supplies on the current machines has a cam bolt for pivoting the plate right to left. What we did was make a few passes on a piece of MDF secured to the table with the table mill bit moving parallel to the Y axis. The ridges left behind indicate which direction the spindle is leaning. We loosened the bolts on the spindle plate (one of them is a shoulder bolt to pivot on) and made very slight adjustments until it was dead on, leaving no ridges behind.
    We did the same thing moving along the X axis, but since there is no adjustment, we had to use shim stock between the tramming plate and the Z axis mounting plate.

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

thanks again guys - I ended up putting flycutter on and visually adjusting. Ended up using aluminum foil as shim for the front/back adjustment. Left right was simple, but am I missing something with the cam bolt thing? seems like it is just used as an unneeded spacer/washer?

Downloads
    Uploads

The cam is functional for tramming. With a wrench holding the cam nut in place, loosen the threaded bolt. Then hold the threaded bolt in place and rotate the nut one or the other to adjust the tramming. Retighten the bolt.

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3