Need Help! How do you delay G-code using Aspire and Mach 4 to wait for Spindle to get to speed?

Thread: How do you delay G-code using Aspire and Mach 4 to wait for Spindle to get to speed?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you delay G-code using Aspire and Mach 4 to wait for Spindle to get to speed?

Hello,
    I am just finishing up my Saturn 4x4 build. I am using an ESS and C62 board with Mach 4. I have a 3KW Huanyang spindle/VFD. Everything is working, but when
    trying out my first G-Code test, I became aware that the G-Code and axis movement is not waiting for the spindle to reach full RPM speed.
    How do you cause the G-Code to wait for the Spindle to reach speed. I am using Aspire as my software. I could start the spindle prior to enabling the G-code, but I thought there
    should be a way to make this automatic.
    Craig Melvin

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you delay G-code using Aspire and Mach 4 to wait for Spindle to get to spe

Ideally, you want Mach4 to handle the delay, rather than the g-code.
    Unfortunately,I don't have Mach4 on the PC I'm using, so I can't see where the delay settings are.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you delay G-code using Aspire and Mach 4 to wait for Spindle to get to spe

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Ideally, you want Mach4 to handle the delay, rather than the g-code.
    Unfortunately,I don't have Mach4 on the PC I'm using, so I can't see where the delay settings are.
    Thanks for the reply. In Mach 4 I checked the box under spindle to wait for 90% speed, however, I think I need to add some wiring from the VFD to my C62 board so Mach 4 will know when this is reached.

Hopefully, someone has already done this.
    Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

The manual is rather vague, but it mentions a spindle accel and decel time. Those are probably what you want to use.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess unless you have a spindle speed readout in Mach it will never know what speed your at.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Yachtlover,

Go into Mach4 config. Select the spindle tab. The 3rd column over is headed "Accel Time." Insert the amount of time for the delay in the same row as the spindle you set up (the row where you set the max rpms). I have a 2.2kw spindle and HY VFD. I used as setting of 10,00, which gives me a 10 second delay before the the g-code executes. Hope this helps.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way, Mach3 had a nasty "feature". If you hit the Cycle Start button as the spindle is spooling up, Mach3 stops waiting for the spindle and continues with executing the G-code (very likely breaking the tool). Does Mach4 behave the same way?

Last edited by CitizenOfDreams; 07-29-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not use Mach, but rather Linuxcnc, but I believe the code is the same. You could add this to your post processor file after the spindle start command.

G4 P1.5 (pause 1.5 seconds for spindle accel) - the value behind the "P" is the delay time.

You could also decrease the accel time in the vfd parameters. They usually come set at a longer ramp time than necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads

Citizen,

I don't know whether Mach4 acts the same as Mach3. I don't plan to try it to find out.

Beltramidave,

Yes, the g-code is the same for Mach. G4, followed by the P, sets the delay in milliseconds, if a decimal point is not placed after the delay interval number. If you use a decimal point, as you did in you example, the delay is in seconds.

Personally, I prefer to set the delay in config, so I don't have to bother editing g-code for every job I want to run. I like the "set it and forget it" approach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Citizen,

I don't know whether Mach4 acts the same as Mach3. I don't plan to try it to find out.

Beltramidave,

Yes, the g-code is the same for Mach. G4, followed by the P, sets the delay in milliseconds, if a decimal point is not placed after the delay interval number. If you use a decimal point, as you did in you example, the delay is in seconds.

Personally, I prefer to set the delay in config, so I don't have to bother editing g-code for every job I want to run. I like the "set it and forget it" approach.
    If you put it in your post processor file in Aspire, then it will be applied each time you create a toolpath using that post processor. Either way will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup. Changing the post processor in Aspire works just well. I changed it in Aspire to remove the G43 (tool height compensation) command. It was causing a problem, although I no longer remember what it was. Getting old's a b****.

I use both Aspire and Fusion 360. Setting the delay in config saves changing the post processor in in multiple programs. Not a big deal either way. Just a question of personal preference.