Build Thread Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23 - Page 38

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2835363738

Thread: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23

Nice job.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 - YYV11

OK, version 11. Witch cheaper wood.

I did a good deal of damage during final assembly. Pushed a few inlays in. Including the back. The final version will not have this issue as the inlays will bottom out. But everything I cared about was a success.
    First is the major design change, the valley in between the YY's. This allows all "four sides" of the YY to press against the base. Instead of the middle pressing against each other.
    This should allow for the YY's to be beveled. In this case I used a bull nose which gave me a sort'a bevel at the top. A bevel would not work if they were touching.
    Also allowed me to round the tails. No more infinity issues and chipping.

The result is very little to no gaps showing. Although there is some of what I call the bull nose effect. That odd waviness you can see in the oak eye. I'm sure I can solve that out.
    (edit. Just noticed that eye should be maple. ID10T)

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-1-jpg

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-2-jpg

Since I blocked the top I could not place the weights in the pocket before gluing the YYs. So I had to go through the bottom. This made the piece thicker and gave me an opportunity (forced me) to place a plaque on the back.
    Worked out better in the end I think.

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-3-jpg

I used Danish oil on this as a test. Because of the inlay damage I can't really tell if the grain swelled. It did give a strange laser etch effect on the back though. More to do with maple than anything I would guess.

Thanks.
    Jack.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-1-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-2-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-3-jpg  
    Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yin yang V10

I like your work!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jack - Re grain raising. Knocking down the grain is traditionally done by wetting the surface, letting the grain stand up then sanding it down. Redo until the grain doesn't stand up anymore. Thats slow. I do it by using white PVA glue as a sealer/sander. I dilute it 1:1 with water or a bit more and apply a coat like shellac. It's just a wash not a coat. It will soak in, dry fast and you can do another coat if dry to the hand. The grain will stand up as usual but it will be glued together so the paper will cut the nibs off. Sand again and usually you won't feel the nibs anymore. You can continue using the diluted PVA and in about 6-10 coats you will get a very nice matt finish that is waterproof and UV resistant. Coating is fast as it dries in under an hour so you can get it done in a day if you like. Once the coat is "level" or choked, I use scotchbrite to knock the coat nibs off. If you use fine paper you can get a very very smooth finish to the hand very quickly. If you want gloss use any gloss finish over the top. PVA is cheap and I've had signs out in the weather for over 1.5 years now with no hint of change. I rag it on vs brush as brush will apply too much. I'm about to experiment with spraying it as well. Other gloss and matt polys etc would have started to fail by now in the Oz sun... Cheers Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Peter. That is some great information. Makes sense.
    I'll use that technique on the next test part.

Jack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I like your work!!
    Thanks Eric. Hopefully I can make some money at it soon enough.

Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2835363738