Build Thread Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23 - Page 36

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536

Thread: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23

Had a job 3D printing some flexible F2 battery terminal covers.
    This was the fourth and last delivery. Been using each delivery as a test ground for coming up with a signature Ponder Labs box for items.
    Fourth attempt shown below. I should be able to scale this box in all directions depending on the size of the item.
    Still working it out but this was by far the best result. In fact the client said I should just sell the boxes.
    Yes. more dowels. I should change my name from Ponder Labs to "Wood dowel labs llc"

Basically its a slot assembly.

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-1-jpg

Pretty much goes together in a couple steps.

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-2-jpg

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-3-jpg

Then just a slide cover. Did not take good picture of it but there is another dowel on the cover for grabbing with your fingers. Can kind of see it in the top view.

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-4-jpg
    Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-5-jpg

Ready to go out the door.

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-6-jpg

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-7-jpg

Thanks.
    Jack

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-7-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-6-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-4-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-5-jpg  

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-3-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-1-jpg   Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-2-jpg  
    Jack
    Ponder Labs (https://tinyurl.com/y96aky5x)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23 - RNP

Great work!!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's some rad packaging!! Just curious what kind of printer do you have? I'm really interested in getting one, but I'm not sure if I will use it enough. I also had such a bad experience with a DTG printer that I cringe when I hear the p word. If I get one I want to be sure that it's not going to be a constant project. I need it to just work and be low to no maintnence. Any info would be great.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23 - RNP

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Great work!!
    Thanks Ericks.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    That's some rad packaging!! Just curious what kind of printer do you have? I'm really interested in getting one, but I'm not sure if I will use it enough. I also had such a bad experience with a DTG printer that I cringe when I hear the p word. If I get one I want to be sure that it's not going to be a constant project. I need it to just work and be low to no maintnence. Any info would be great.
    Dan

Hi NTL.
    I have a WitBox version 1. I bought it new for $600 when they released their version 2 model. Which is about 1/3 of what they cost.
    Not sure you can justify spending $1800 now a days. The printers have come a long way since then. There are a lot of good models out there for ~$500.

Check out Makers Muse
    He has reviews of dozens of printers from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars.
    Same for The 3D printing Nerd.
    Surf those two and you should have a good understanding of what is out there.

All of them are not ready for prime time. Very finicky beasts. Not something that aunt Marsha or uncle Joe will be able to use. People on this forum should have no real issues though.
    As for my WitBox I have been very happy with it. It's been a couple/few years now. Never had a issue mechanically. To complete the job I mentioned it was running 24/7 for a month. Took it like a champ.

With any 3D printer you can expect about 10% to 20% printing failure rate. That will never change. There are just too many variables depending on the item you want to print.
    And tweaking the print setting for each new item. Lots of tweaking.
    That being said once you get that nailed down its very reliable. That is what you are after in a 3D printer. Consistency. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail.

My only real advise is to make sure the printer will take standard filament and standard reels. The printer makers are up to their old tricks of proprietary consumables lately. Very disappointing.
    BTW that includes MakerBot since Stratasys bought them.

It's not all gloom and doom though. Like I said the printers, and more importantly, the software have come a long way over the last couple of years.
    It took me about 15 minutes to model and a couple of hours to print this part last night with no tweaking or fuss. Needs a little tweak though now that I see the picture

Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-img_4847-jpg

Thanks
    Jack.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 2 4x4 - Nema 23-img_4847-jpg  
    Last edited by PLJack; 03-07-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jack, that's what I was worried about. Like I have said before I spent a rediculous amount on a DTG printer a while back and it never worked right. It was the most frustrating and expensive learning experience I have ever had. I finally got rid of it for a massive loss and swore I would never make that mistake again. That's why I was wondering if the 3d machines were mature enough to mess with yet. I was also wondering if it was the same deal where the print heads are always acting up and needing to be replaced. Obviously it won't be like the ink print heads that cost $500+ a pop and get clogged if you don't use them constantly. But I just wanted to know what kind of matence they require and if there are issues if you don't use it alot. Also I was wondering if you knew anything about the Prusa or the cheaper clones that are supposed to be good. I'm just wondering if I would be throwing money away if I got a cheap one like 200-300 range or if I would be better saving up for the Prusa since everything I've read says it's on par with much more expensive printers.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thank you,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a two or three year old MakerGear M3, which I have not used for a while. Uses standard everything but its not cheap hobby grade. Expect to pay$800 used and $2000 or so new. Its as solid as a rock and just works. Simplify 3D is the program to get, not free but it works.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I have a two or three year old MakerGear M3, which I have not used for a while. Uses standard everything but its not cheap hobby grade. Expect to pay$800 used and $2000 or so new. Its as solid as a rock and just works. Simplify 3D is the program to get, not free but it works.
    So sounds like it's going to be a while before I get one lol. My next big thing is going to be a table top mill that I'm going to convert to a Acorn controlled CNC or a small lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's why I was wondering if the 3d machines were mature enough to mess with yet.
    I would say yes. If you can handle a Saturn you can take on a modern 3D printer.

I was also wondering if it was the same deal where the print heads are always acting up and needing to be replaced. Obviously it won't be like the ink print heads that cost $500+ a pop and get clogged if you don't use them constantly. But I just wanted to know what kind of matence they require and if there are issues if you don't use it alot.
    No issues with print heads. They were quite poor in the early days. Depends on what you put through them. If you pump a dozen rolls of wood fiber or carbon fiber filament, both abrasive, you will wear out the head.
    I use mostly PLA which is pretty soft. Heads are easy to change as well. I would stick with the 1.75mm filament heads.

Also I was wondering if you knew anything about the Prusa or the cheaper clones that are supposed to be good.
    I hear a lot of good things about that printer. Makers Muse on youTube has a lot of coverage on that brand.

I'm just wondering if I would be throwing money away if I got a cheap one like 200-300 range or if I would be better saving up for the Prusa since everything I've read says it's on par with much more expensive printers.
    Any thoughts would be great!
    Thank you,
    Dan
    Can't really recommend you buy a sub $300 printer. $500 and above should work fine. Make sure it has a heated bed. Most do now a days. Some don't. Mine does not so large PLA prints can be a challenge.

Jack.

Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

From my limited research, the Prusa i3 MK3S seems to have a lot more features that the $500 printers. I plan on getting one later this year, if I stop buying other stuff.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

MakerGear also used to sell a kit, I do not know if they still do or not.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    From my limited research, the Prusa i3 MK3S seems to have a lot more features that the $500 printers. I plan on getting one later this year, if I stop buying other stuff.
    I just wanted to know if all the hype around it was legit. I've read multiple places that it is as good as printers that cost 3-4 time's as much. So it's good to hear that it's not all paid advertisement if you're getting one. Let us know know how it prints when you get it. The thing looks so cheap with all the 3d printed part's, but all I care about is the print quality. If it really performs like the claims than it sounds like a great tool to add to the shop.

Dan

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2633343536