Is your x & y motion 'glass smooth'? Saturn 2 4x4

Thread: Is your x & y motion 'glass smooth'? Saturn 2 4x4

Default Is your x & y motion 'glass smooth'? Saturn 2 4x4

Just want to make sure my setup is best it can be - I notice a lot of vibration even when doing long x or y moves. This is very noticeable when resting hand on gantry during moves.

To try to further test, I disengaged the pinion gears. Even when I slide my axis' manually, I can def feel a hurky-jerkiness as I push each axis.

What do others experience? Just want to calibrate my expectations.

more info - linear bearings are greased with same grease I use on my Fadal, Mobil chm 003
    Thanks -

Alan

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Is your x & y motion 'glass smooth'? Saturn 2 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by alannext View Post
    Just want to make sure my setup is best it can be - I notice a lot of vibration even when doing long x or y moves. This is very noticeable when resting hand on gantry during moves.

To try to further test, I disengaged the pinion gears. Even when I slide my axis' manually, I can def feel a hurky-jerkiness as I push each axis.

What do others experience? Just want to calibrate my expectations.

more info - linear bearings are greased with same grease I use on my Fadal, Mobil chm 003
    Thanks -

Alan
    It should be smooth. I am not entirely sure what you mean by “hurky-jerkiness”? Is it on both axes? We test motion here during assembly.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

hey Nate its hard to put into words but let me try--

1. if I remove pinion system and push by hand with consistent pressure, I will feel a regular pattern of resistance , cycling every inch or two. If I put my ear to the linear bearings, I can hear the ball bearings making noise in a similar pattern of noise and no noise. If I smoothly slow to a stop, it is very pronounced and repeatable, a pulsing resistance.

2. under power, if I manually jog the y axis front to back (x is about the same), the sound and vibration have that same pattern, noticed by sound, vibration, and unmistakable if you put your hand on the gantry during the move.

-I feel it is most likely not caused by the rack and pinion system (or adjustment of it), mostly because after I disengaged that I could still clearly feel the jerky motion.

-I am suspicious of the grease I used but it is recommended for the linear bearings on my other cnc, so?

open to any ideas...

Downloads
    Uploads

We have the original Saturn 2x4 but the Saturn 2 is probably about the same in this regard; ours seems smooth. I'm using Royal Purple #2 on everything and the machine is going on two years old. Well, it arrived about two years ago but it took a few months for the build, so it's been running about 20 months or so. Sometimes it feels like a degree of 'vibration steps' in the X movement and I attribute that to the R&P but I can't always pick that up, only when I'm cutting so it could be microsteps that I'm feeling. Just jogging it in all directions it feels smooth.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same here, when resting my hand on the machine, especially on long y movements i can feel the whole gantry vibrating and making a rumbling noise... thought it was normal considering the weight of the steel gantry