Considering the FLA100 2x3 Machine

Thread: Considering the FLA100 2x3 Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Considering the FLA100 2x3 Machine

Hi everyone,

It is about time for me to upgrade to a better machine...the Chinese 3040 can't do the bigger jobs I'd like to do. We have space in the garage for a 2x3 machine...but Nate's 2x3 is the only one with a small enough footprint for the dedicated space.

Looks like a great machine, people speak highly of it. I only plan to use it for hardwood and plastic, I don't do any aluminum. I make a lot of ukuleles and the occasional guitar, along with signs for local businesses, etc. so I'd love something that can cut deeper and faster than my current machine.

Is this machine sturdy enough to hold a spindle/router that can cut 1/4" passes, maybe up to 1/2" deep through something like hard maple? I use 1/4" and 1/2" bits right now but can only go about 2mm deep on each cut without stressing my 800w spindle too hard. And can this machine cut 100ipm+ at say, a depth of 1/4" without issue? My machine right now can barely do 80ipm, with the occasional stall.

Obviously, deeper and fast cuts will significantly increase production time. We have a 2hp Harbor Freight dust collector in the garage, so with dust collection, I'm hoping to keep the garage dust free.

I know this machine isn't as rigid and sturdy as the 2x4 foot machines FLA offers but space is an issue, so this size will have to do. Do those of you who have experience with this machine think it could manage what I'm asking?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Considering the FLA100 2x3 Machine

Quote Originally Posted by canman77 View Post
    Hi everyone,

It is about time for me to upgrade to a better machine...the Chinese 3040 can't do the bigger jobs I'd like to do. We have space in the garage for a 2x3 machine...but Nate's 2x3 is the only one with a small enough footprint for the dedicated space.

Looks like a great machine, people speak highly of it. I only plan to use it for hardwood and plastic, I don't do any aluminum. I make a lot of ukuleles and the occasional guitar, along with signs for local businesses, etc. so I'd love something that can cut deeper and faster than my current machine.

Is this machine sturdy enough to hold a spindle/router that can cut 1/4" passes, maybe up to 1/2" deep through something like hard maple? I use 1/4" and 1/2" bits right now but can only go about 2mm deep on each cut without stressing my 800w spindle too hard. And can this machine cut 100ipm+ at say, a depth of 1/4" without issue? My machine right now can barely do 80ipm, with the occasional stall.

Obviously, deeper and fast cuts will significantly increase production time. We have a 2hp Harbor Freight dust collector in the garage, so with dust collection, I'm hoping to keep the garage dust free.

I know this machine isn't as rigid and sturdy as the 2x4 foot machines FLA offers but space is an issue, so this size will have to do. Do those of you who have experience with this machine think it could manage what I'm asking?

Thanks!
    In hardwoods and plastics we’ve done 150ipm cuts with a 1/4in bit at a 1/2in depth of cut using a 2.5 HP hitachi router and NEMA 23 motors on the 2’ x 3’ without any issues. I think it could be pushed a little more too. Rapid rate is 250ipm. It should exceed the performance envelope you described.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Nate, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I'll be ordering one of your 2x3 kits in the near future for sure.

I do see on the design that the x and z axis screws are exposed...is there any way to shield these? Or will a dust collector be sufficient to prevent the screws from getting clogged with dust/chips?

Quote Originally Posted by canman77 View Post
    Thanks Nate, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I'll be ordering one of your 2x3 kits in the near future for sure.

I do see on the design that the x and z axis screws are exposed...is there any way to shield these? Or will a dust collector be sufficient to prevent the screws from getting clogged with dust/chips?
    A dust shoe with a standard dust collector will capture most all of the dust. Even if you don’t use a collector, the bottom screw is largely shielded from dust because you will put a top on the table. The X and Z axes are high enough where they are out of the way of most of the dust. We’ve run them for years without any shielding.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thank you! I've followed up via email with you, we are getting ready to purchase.