Saturn 2 4x4 questions. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturn 2 4x4 questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 questions.

Our 3 kW spindle is 100mm but a lot of people use the 2.2 kW spindle and that one is typically 80mm.

One thing I like about the Hitachi WJ200 is that even though it is advertised as being for a 2.2 kW spindle Hitachi says in the manual that it will handle 3 kW with no issues or warranty violations. And the folks at Drives Warehouse also told me there would be no problem. And I haven't had one yet with running a 3 kW spindle, no overheating, etc. The Chinese VFD's rated for 2.2 kW will only handle 2.2 kW, though. But I don't think you need a 3 kW VFD for a 2.2 kW spindle - 2.2 kW should be sufficient.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to muddy the waters, I'll put in my opinion here. I completely agree with David on the Hitachi VFD. Really nice unit with good options. I really like the fact that it essentially has a built in safety relay (not quite) that allows you to cut power to the motor without killing power to the entire VFD. The configuration can be a little complicated at first, but there are lots of folks on this board that have used them, so help is available.

Where I will contradict David (with all due respect) is on the spindle. I have a Chinese 2.2kW air-cooled spindle and have barely seen it get warm after cutting for a solid 45 minutes. Your point about keeping it cool at low speeds could be a concern, but that will really depend on what you are cutting. I have been cutting with 1/2" flat and ball end 2-flute bits, running at 200 IPM, and it cuts cleanly at 20k RPM without burning (nice chips). If you are cutting mostly wood, then you shouldn't need to run the spindle slow. That said, I also did some (marginally successful) cutting on aluminum with a 1/8" bit running at 9000 RPM for about 30 minutes, and also didn't get the spindle even warm. Alot will depend on how much material you are removing each pass and the feed rate because that will determine how much power you have to put into the spindle.

My biggest concerns with water-cooled were rusting out the spindle and the inevitable leak.

On your previous question about removing the gantry...I had to do this on my 4x2. Its not hard...until it is time to re-square the gantry. I'd love to hear how Nate does that because my method was tedious and difficult to get dialed in. I'm still not convinced I have it perfect. Still...if you have to do it, you have to do it. My machine wasn't going into my shop any other way.

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I don't know, Robert... if mine leaks water I'll know. But if yours leaks air you'll never know - LOL!

And the couple of places I read about the air cooled spindle not cooling at slower speeds were probably on sites selling water cooled spindles, I just don't remember. But I'm glad yours performs well and they're probably all like that so I'll adjust my thinking. Thanks!

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know the pinout on the stepper 9pin male connector that FLA wires for their 4 Axis Electronics Kit?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it from the G540 manual.
    For those that want to know:

Saturn 2 4x4 questions.-g540pins-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert -

"On your previous question about removing the gantry...I had to do this on my 4x2. Its not hard...until it is time to re-square the gantry. I'd love to hear how Nate does that because my method was tedious and difficult to get dialed in. I'm still not convinced I have it perfect. Still...if you have to do it, you have to do it. My machine wasn't going into my shop any other way."

Saturn 2 4x4 questions.-screen-shot-2018-05-28-6-03-a

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 2 4x4 questions.-screen-shot-2018-05-28-6-03-a  
    Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Downloads
    Uploads

Talked me into it again David......
    Settled on this unit https://www.driveswarehouse.com/hita...p_230v_1_phase
    I do want constant torque, not constant current. Correct?

Thanks.
    Jack

Downloads
    Uploads

That's the model I'm using. It's been great so far and very easy to set up, especially with the guys at Drives Warehouse on the phone telling you what to do...

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    That's the model I'm using. It's been great so far and very easy to set up, especially with the guys at Drives Warehouse on the phone telling you what to do...

David
    Thanks for the confirm David. Now I just need a spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Went with the round spindle. Both spindle and driver on the way
    Time to start a built thread I guess.
    In the mean time just search Ponder Labs on YouTube.

Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12