New Machine Build Saturn 2 4x4 Build/Assembly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 2 4x4 Build/Assembly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saturn 2 4x4 Build/Assembly

First time ever post on the Zone. Been a lurker for several years now. I previously built a plywood MDF machine loosely based on Joes 2006. It worked pretty well at first.but as time went on it got hard to keep it lined up and keep things tight. The machine ended up in storage for a couple of years and when I got it out again I saw it was just going to take to much to make it work well. So that’s how I ended up with the Saturn.
    I’ve had the machine since the middle of February. Here it’s getting backed into the garage.
    Used an engine hoist to pick it up and set it on the leg kit.worked very well.
    I ended up with 1/4” pulleys instead of 3/8” that fit my motors,but a call to Nate and he got me the right ones, so I’ve been able to get motors mounted and cables ran and keep moving forward.

I know I’m going to have many questions for all you experienced Saturn builders as this project moves forward.
    Thanks for bearing with me on this first post from a rookie.

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 2 4x4 Build/Assembly

Looks great, Terry! What are you doing for electronics and control?

Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    Looks great, Terry! What are you doing for electronics and control?
    Hi micknm

I have a Gecko G540 and motors that I got from CNCRP several years ago when I built the other machine. I’ll start with those and see how the Nema 23 performs but I think they’ll do fine. My original plan was to start with Mach3 and then move to UCCNC. But I’m leaning toward just starting with UCCNC because along while back I purchased a UC300ETH when I first started wanting to get the old machine out of storage. So I might as well start out fresh and absorb the learning curve right from the start. This is not a production machine so the time spent in the beginning learning a new control won’t hurt a thing.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are proficient in Mach3, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve with UCCNC. While the settings are a bit different, and in different places, actual machine operation is pretty much the same.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you are proficient in Mach3, there shouldn't be much of a learning curve with UCCNC. While the settings are a bit different, and in different places, actual machine operation is pretty much the same.
    Hi ger21

I won’t say I’m proficient with Mach3 but I felt comfortable with it. I’ve been following several threads here and on the UCCNC forum and it seems as most everyone is having good luck with this control system, so I’m not anticipating any major issues. I’ll just ask a lot of questions of all you experienced people here and on their forum. It’s been a couple of years since I had used the old machine so I figure it’ll take a little bit to get back in the swing of things.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Terry - looking good and I truly envy you guys with enough room for a 4x4 machine! But I love working with our 2x4 machine so it's all good. What's next for you?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi David
    I’ve read your entire thread and you’ve done a great job on your machine. My next direction is to figure out if I have enough room in my current controller box to add the UC300ETH motion controller and a small break out board to get more I/O. My first machine didn’t have home or limit switches, and the G540 only has a limited number inputs available, so I need to add. As you can see here it’s pretty tight.
    There’s a little room to the left of the g540 but not for several components. I think my best option is to get everything working then come up with a plan to build a bigger controller to get everything in and try to future proof at the same time. Also I’ve never had a rack and pinion drive before. I found where the belt should have about 1/8” deflection, and it’s probably here but haven’t seen how much tension should be on the adjustment bolt for pinion engagement?

Thanks Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Terry! It was a fun build, for sure. My belts are closer to 1/16" deflection if that helps.

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks David. I’ll keep that in mind when I get running. Do you know how many turns you have on the spring for the tension on the pinion against the rack.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

No, but I think our setups are different. You can watch my video on installing the spacers behind the racks and get an idea of how much compression there is, though. Seems like it was 1.0625" to the top of the washer...

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks David - I’ll check it out.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Terry,

Looks like you have a good starting point for the control box. Maybe consider getting a UB1 breakout board for the UC300ETH. It would be bigger than the G540, from what I can see, but it might fit on the controller door. Alot of the signals will be going there anyway, so not too bad on wiring. I have an MB2 which is pretty similar, but not as clean to connect as the UB1. I found it pretty easy to work with and it has alot of really nice features.

Good luck with the build!

-Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Robert and thanks

I agree the UB1 is best way to go and that’s what I’ll probably use in a new controller in the future. For now though I’m going to stay with the 5LPT that I got when I bought the UC300ETH. I’ll use port 2 to plug into the G540 and leave E-Stops , Super Pid, and charge pump wired the way they are. I have a c10 breakout board that I can use to add the limit switches etc. Hoping to get some motor movement in the next day or so. When I get this wiring done I’ll post some pics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone:

Thought I should give a update on my build. Haven’t had much time since last post to work on machine but did manage in the last few days make some progress. I got the UC300ETH mounted in the controller along with the C10 breakout board. I stacked them on top off each other in the space I had next to the G540.
    Also hooked up limit switches for homing. Homing sequence works good. I ran the Bulls Head file from Vectric to see what happens . I used the post processor for Mach 3 with UCCNC and it all seems to be fine.
    Here’s a couple of closeups , not real smooth.
    I read something about the CV settings in UCCNC being in mm but I’m using inches so they probably need changed to smooth things out. I’ll post when get things ironed out.

Downloads
    Uploads

You should lower the CV tolerance settings for inches, the default values are just too high for inch units.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi OlfCNC

Thanks for your tip. Hoping I get a chance in next couple of days to make some adjustments and see if it helps. I’m thinking if I convert the mm settings to equivalent inch settings should get me close to where it needs to be. Would think that would be a good starting point.

Thanks Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone

An update on the CV settings. As suggested by OlfCNC , I lowered the tolerances to be the equivalent inch values and reran the Bulls Head file again to compare . What a dramatic improvement.
    Here are before and after photos.
    I’m very pleased with the results.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice improvement!

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi David

Yes it is a nice improvement. I’m so glad it was that instead of trying to have to find some kind of mechanical issue. I have a few things left to do, the main one getting a permanent spoil board mounted and getting a touch off plate. Of course there will always be things to do down the road. The big one being changing to a spindle instead of the router(future) etc. etc. I can always find things to make it better, that’s part of the fun.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast