New Machine Build FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

Downloads
    Uploads

Default FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

So, thanks the mentors in this forum (and supporting cast) the build has begun. This will be a Saturn2 ~ 4' x 4' based on the groundwork by DDgitfiddle and other research. Almost all parts are in hand and I have begun the controller cabinet build. Major holes are drilled and the component layout follows Robert's design. The UB1 update to the motherboard created a moment of alarm as the UC300-ETH arrived mounted to a host board.that needs to be removed so the UC300 could be plugged into the UB1. I have attached a picture of this stage of early layout and will be following up with more as the build progresses. I will not repeat Robert's incredibly detailed build log but I will attempt to document where we diverge. I did make extensive use of his parts list and if my variations prove out I will post a similar parts list highlighting the differences.

Onward...
    Robb

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-controllerboxlayout-1-jpg  

Default Re: FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

Looks great so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to the build, Robb. Ditto what Nate said - looks good so far!

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm sure you be pleased with the machine. If you're like me, the build project is half the fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

Lots of drilling and mucking about - now ready to start wiring - I think. Challenged by the idea that I want to wire in stages then test that section of the system. Digging through other builds to get a game plan together. I would welcome any input. Definitely agree about the build being a major piece of the fun... but looking forward to making chips.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-img_20180120_142759-jpg  
    Last edited by rcmcdee; 01-25-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good! Can't wait to see more.

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your patience guys. This is taking a lot longer than anticipated due to my buying a new house (big project to renovate) and those pesky clients wanting attention. I have made advances on the wiring as shown in the attached photo. This is all based on Robert's (DDgitfiddle) build with the MB2.
    I have powered up the panel and tested the voltages at the various outputs and all seems good at this point. I am not an electronics wizard so Robert’s schematics enable me to build this like a TinkerToy. I have not powered up the UB1 or the VFD as I have some questions…

1. As shipped, the VFD has a jumper on PLC<->P24. Robert’s safety schematic shows P24 bridged with a 2.2K resistor to EA and PLC plugged to 24V on the MB2. What is that all about? Is a 2.2K ohm J 5watt resistor the correct spec and where do I get it? (;-)>
    2. You can see from my photo that I have woven the signal wires in as I set them. It looks less organized than could be, but I can trace all connections by color. Is this an invitation for noise?

The UB1 is a nice improvement over the MB2 as far as the simple integration to ethernet… I will be interested to learn the differences (if any) going forward.

Now to get a clean install of Win 10 and UCCNC running on my older laptop for the control console. When that is done I can start with the next round of testing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-power-safety_almost-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Robb,

Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I'm in the middle of FIRST robotics season and haven't had a chance to do much else outside of work. Looks like you have gotten a nice start on the build. For a second I thought I was looking at pictures of my own control box. The UB1 looks really clean compared to the MB2. I suspect it will be very similar to wire up.

You had a couple of questions above:

1) The 2.2k resistor on the VFD is a circuit I got from 1Jumper10, who got it from Weerasak at CNCroom (See post #110 in my thread). Originally we were both planning to control the spindle speed by using one of the spare motor outputs (e.g. Motor B) into the EA input on the VFD. What we both learned was that this doesn't work because this output is only 5V. It turns out the standard outputs on the MB2/UB1 work at a high enough frequency that UCCNC can command the EA input at the frequencies expected by the VFD. The settings in UCCNC are important, but I think I documented those settings in my thread also. This setup is working pretty nicely for me now. I haven't measured spindle speed directly, but it sounds very consistent and I can adjust the speed directly from UCCNC and with G-code.

The outputs on the MB2/UB1 are Sinking outputs, meaning that they allow current to flow into them when the output is on. They are rated for 24V, but they can't really take alot of current (100mA rating). In general, they would be connected to some sort of a load (like a relay) that would limit the current. The 2.2K resistor limits the current to (24V / 2200 ohms = 10.9mA, very safe). The power through the resistor is V x I (24V x 0.0109A = .26Watts, so a 5W resistor is way overkill. That said, higher power resistors are larger, easier to handle, and have bigger leads. I honestly forget what I used for wattage. You can buy assortments on Amazon pretty cheap.

I connected the 24V power supply to the VFD to make sure that the internal VFD power supply and the external power supply used for the MB2 were tied to the same voltage. Maybe not strictly necessary, but it seems to be working. Technically there is probably a small difference in those voltages, so I wanted them to be pushed to be the same to avoid weird currents flowing in the wrong direction. A real electrical engineer can correct me if this is bad practice...not really my expertise.

2) There isn't a ton of difference between weaving wires together and using zip ties to hold them together. The real key is to isolate the high power AC wires (AC voltage, Spindle wires) from your sensitive signals. The layout in my control box was intended to help with that. Where signal and power wires get close to each other, try to avoid having them run parallel for too long. I tried to have them cross close to perpendicular to minimize cross-talk. So far, it looks like you have done the same. Laying out the wires is an art that I haven't really full mastered, so there was some trial and error. I found it was easier to pull out a wire to re-route it if it wasn't woven in with the others.

Hope this helps!

Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks Robert. In the space of your distraction I correctly assumed that the answers must be in your build log somewhere; so I went last night and re-read the whole log. There is much I don't understand in there still, but I did see what you refer to on pages 7-10. The additional explanation above is appreciated. It seem I have a 3K resistor in hand. Any reason to not try that?

I am now formatting my laptop for the control console. The laptop is a Dell XPS 1340. I have put in a fresh SSD and will go for Win 10 pro (stripped to essentials) and load nothing but CNC controller related applications. I will post that journey as part of this build log. I'm a little more savvy on the computer side than the electronics realm.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not really necessary to strip down windows, or not install any other software. Just defer automatic updates.

I've been test running UCCNC on my laptop with no issues, and I have all the software I own on it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdee View Post
    . It seem I have a 3K resistor in hand. Any reason to not try that?
    24V / 3000 ohms = 8mA. That seems like it should be fine. If that is too high, the failure mode will be that the VFD doesn't read the frequency correctly. Likely it either wouldn't run or it would run erratically (speed changes). That is a safe failure mode (i.e. nothing will fry, and you just have to try a different resistor).

If you have any questions, just let me know. Now that I am on this thread, I will get notified.

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

What version of Windows are you running? I have Win 7 Home on that Dell. Maybe I'll load UCCNC and see how it goes. I had seen several posts suggesting stripping it down for the cleanest environment. Easy enough to just turn off a lot of the background processes and kill the email and wi-fi.

Robb

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention I have Windows 10 Pro. It's a 2 year old Dell 7000 series.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m running Windows 7 on a 7-8 year old Dell laptop. I have disabled virus protection, but I haven’t disabled much other than that. Seems to run OK, and I’ve done some pretty intense 3D work.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running a Windows 7 64bit on a 3-4years old Asus PC. I have wifi and internet on it, I'm transfering files via the network using wifi. It causes no problems whatsoever.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought to be much further along by now but hit another snag today. I was double checking all connections before powering up and testing the safety circuits and saw that there were 2 ports labeled S11 on the safety relay. The schematic shows the e-stop wired to S11... is it the one on the upper or lower level? I could find no manual so I don't know what the difference is. The other snag is that the UB1 has no X203 port so I am uncertain how to proceed forward fom there. I downloaded the MB2 manual thinking I could compare but I just got addled by time constraints so must leave the project for now. Any insight is much appreciated.

Robb.

Last edited by rcmcdee; 02-22-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of X203, use X103 on the UB1.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the verification Gerry. I had thought this might be the case but I was thrown off by the mention of a solder bridge for a safety circuit in the manual. Since I am connecting per Robert's Safety Circuit Schematic I got to wondering if I should get out my soldering iron. If I occur a little shallow on some of these topics it is because I am. (;-)> I greatly appreciate the depth of support in this forum,

Robb

Last edited by rcmcdee; 02-22-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again Robert. I just tracked down "FIRST robotics season" and it looks fascinating. What is your relationship to that show?

Downloads
    Uploads

You do need to add the solder bridge to use the safety circuit. It's the same way on an MB2, just a different pin number.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast