New Machine Build FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1 - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1

Robb,

When you get to the point that you are building your motor power cables, let me know. I just realized that I didn't post pictures of how I built those cables, and there is a small trick to it. I'll try to take some pictures for you.

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    Robb,

When you get to the point that you are building your motor power cables, let me know. I just realized that I didn't post pictures of how I built those cables, and there is a small trick to it. I'll try to take some pictures for you.

-Robert
    Thanks Robert. I hope to start the mechanical installation next week. I am almost done with the wiring and getting excited for the next phase. I look forward to those tips on the motor cables.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today was more data wiring. I had previously determined that my "good" wire strippers were not good enough for the smaller gauges of the data connectors. I bought a Klein tools 20 to 32 GA stripper that totally transformed that task. I could not use my older stripper inside the cabinet for the smaller wires so I just pre-cut and stripped everything to the same accommodating length outside the cabinet. But when installed, the wires became a tangled rats nest. The picture shows the result of re-cutting and terminating when you can work in the cabinet. I have enjoyed using the crimper for the ferrules then seating those terminated wires. I do recommend depressing the release tabs on the UB1 to insert any connections. I somewhat enjoyed the sensation of capture when simply pushing the ferrule home but that was an irregular process that sometimes led to damaged ferrules and uncertain connections. I am still amazed that wiring goes from 30A 10 GA down to microA 26 GA inside the one cabinet. the pictures show the current progress.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-img_20180303_190947-jpg   FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-img_20180303_190954-jpg   FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-img_20180303_190951-jpg  
    Last edited by rcmcdee; 03-04-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Robb,

-Robert
    Robert,

I was just reviewing my wiring and cross checking against your diagrams and I noticed the following:
    1) that both of your "Schematics" list motors Z - X - Y - A
    2) that the "MB2 Signal List" shows motors on the INPUTS as Z - X - Y - B and the OUTPUTS show motors Z - X - Y - A
    3) that the "Motor Signal and Limit Switch Cables" shows motors Z - X - Y - B

It would seem that addressing a motor as A or B could be meaningful. It also seems that I should wire (or configure UCCNC) slightly differently to align that addressing. Am I being dense here or is this not an issue? thoughts?

Robb

Downloads
    Uploads

I just noticed that the back plane is not connected electrically to the cabinet. It seems this enclosure has isolating bushings around the plate mounting bolts. Should I install a jumper between that mounting plate and the outside enclosure?

I am also wondering if there i any reason to NOT use a DMX or XLR type connector for the VFD cable into the cabinet?

Thanks for the help,
    Robb

Last edited by rcmcdee; 03-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdee View Post
    Robert,

I was just reviewing my wiring and cross checking against your diagrams and I noticed the following:
    1) that both of your "Schematics" list motors Z - X - Y - A
    2) that the "MB2 Signal List" shows motors on the INPUTS as Z - X - Y - B and the OUTPUTS show motors Z - X - Y - A
    3) that the "Motor Signal and Limit Switch Cables" shows motors Z - X - Y - B

It would seem that addressing a motor as A or B could be meaningful. It also seems that I should wire (or configure UCCNC) slightly differently to align that addressing. Am I being dense here or is this not an issue? thoughts?

Robb
    Sorry, that is an error in my schematics. It doesn't matter if you use A or B. When you configure UCCNC you have to slave it to the Y axis anyway and you can select whichever output you used.

-Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just noticed that the back plane is not connected electrically to the cabinet. It seems this enclosure has isolating bushings around the plate mounting bolts. Should I install a jumper between that mounting plate and the outside enclosure?

I am also wondering if there i any reason to NOT use a DMX or XLR type connector for the VFD cable into the cabinet?

Thanks for the help,
    Robb
    My cabinet has metal standoffs. I haven't checked continuity, but it should be connected to the back plane. I did add a wire to connect the door to the main cabinet. There are studs on both for that purpose.

No reason to NOT use a connector for the spindle cable. Just make sure it will handle the current. It would be best if the connector body was metal and grounded to the cable shield, and chassis. I avoided this by just passing the cable through the chassis wall and keeping the unshielded section as short as possible.

-Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is an image of how I did the motor cable. You just remove about 2.5-3 inches of the outer jacket and cut the internal wires as shown. The 2.5-3 inches allows the ground wire to connect to the motor chassis and gives enough length. to terminate the motor power wires.

Robert

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FineLine Saturn2 4' x 4' with ClearPath, UC300-ETH / UB1-motor-cable-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is an image of how I did the motor cable. You just remove about 2.5-3 inches of the outer jacket and cut the internal wires as shown. The 2.5-3 inches allows the ground wire to connect to the motor chassis and gives enough length. to terminate the motor power wires.
    Robert
    Neat trick but I can't help but think there is a more elegant way to do this. It turns out the 4m cables I ordered are too short for the 4 x 4 machine. I am imagining some sort of connector at the exit from the end of the cable chain that would provide red/black/green to the near motor then red/black/white(green) to the second motor. I'm not sure but it seems the primary issue is to have separate grounds for the motors? If I crimp spliced through do you think that would be a problem?

As a side note we did not receive the large 2 stage drive gears and cams for the Saturn 2. I left a message for Nate but have not heard back from him yet.

thanks for your help,
    Robb

Neat trick but I can't help but think there is a more elegant way to do this. It turns out the 4m cables I ordered are too short for the 4 x 4 machine. I am imagining some sort of connector at the exit from the end of the cable chain that would provide red/black/green to the near motor then red/black/white(green) to the second motor. I'm not sure but it seems the primary issue is to have separate grounds for the motors? If I crimp spliced through do you think that would be a problem?

As a side note we did not receive the large 2 stage drive gears and cams for the Saturn 2. I left a message for Nate but have not heard back from him yet.

thanks for your help,
    Robb
    Robb,

Left you a mesage. The R&P for the dual drive axis should have been in a separate box strapped to the pallet. Are you missing the whole R&P setup or just specific parts?

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Robb,

Left you a mesage. The R&P for the dual drive axis should have been in a separate box strapped to the pallet. Are you missing the whole R&P setup or just specific parts?
    Thanks for the response Nate. I work with Gregory and he is sending you a picture showing what we got. I believe we are just missing the large gear and the cam mount assembly for those 3 positions. We have belts, motor gears and plates, and spring tensioners.

Last edited by rcmcdee; 03-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that safety grounds should generally not be spliced. If some failure causes high voltage to short to the chassis, you want the ground wire to have a very low resistance to ground. The splice is a point where the resistance is a little higher and theoretically would be a place where the wire could burn up in a high current situation. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but this has been a requirement for every machine I ever designed.

There are alternatives to how I did it. My main concern was having enough space in the cable chains, so I didn't want to have to run 4 separate cables. You could run 2 conductor cables for power to the motors then run individual ground wires. These would have to connect to chassis ground somehow.

Your connector idea is probably no worse than the fact that the ground goes through a connector at the panel anyway. My only comment is that connectors are the least reliable part of an electrical system.

I understand your comment that the solution I used is not the most elegant. With thinner insulation on the cables, you could probably fit 4 cables, but you might have to solder custom connectors to them...trade offs.

-Robert

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast