What motor, screw and gearing should I choose?

Thread: What motor, screw and gearing should I choose?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What motor, screw and gearing should I choose?

The short answer:

For a smaller wood and plastic cutting machine (and maybe – maybe! – some light aluminum), several people on CNCzone seems to have had success with 100-200 oz-in (0.7-1.4 Nm) stepper motors direct driving a 5 turns/inch (5 mm lead) ACME (trapezoidal) screw.

The long answer:

... hopefully you can find in the attached file. Please, if you spot any errors or have trouble viewing the file (like missing characters or fonts), write a comment in this thread: http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5639, or use the email address in the file to notify me. Other comments are also welcome to my email address.

Arvid

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What motor, screw and gearing should I choose?-cncmechanics-v1-1-pdf  
    Last edited by arvidb; 09-10-2004 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Uploaded new version (1.1)

Downloads
    Uploads

Very good reading material Arvid,

I'm going to have to look up the data sheet information for my steppers now.

Maybe one of you have already done so and could post the specs. The steppers are from a few old HP Laserjet III's

LABELED: Astrosyn
    TYPE: 23LM-C701-01
    P/N: RH7-1048 04
    5.2 V/Phase
    1.4 A/Phase
    1.8 Degree/Step

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, thank you for this document. Second, this may be a newbie thing to do, but there may be a typo in your PDF.

For the power equation you specify that it's force times speed (or velocity) but you write it at Force times distance F * s instead of F * v

Third, I am creating a spreadsheet of the equations as a tool, and ifthere is any interest I can make a web form. We'll see.

Jay

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Web-accessible info

Jay,
    It would be great to have that kind of information available if it's not already on this site.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to have to look up the data sheet information for my steppers now.

Maybe one of you have already done so and could post the specs. The steppers are from a few old HP Laserjet III's

LABELED: Astrosyn
    TYPE: 23LM-C701-01
    P/N: RH7-1048 04
    5.2 V/Phase
    1.4 A/Phase
    1.8 Degree/Step
    Check out the attached PDF for specs, pictures, internal wiring, etc. I hope this helps...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What motor, screw and gearing should I choose?-hp-laserjet-iid-iiid-main-motor-specs  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have this Stepper motor and have tryed it using my Sherline mini Mill.
    The following plastics were tryed:
    Delrin Great at slow feed rate
    Acrylic nice finish but needs lubrification(I use 10W30 motor oil)
    Lexan Great at slow feed rate might be ok to mill at higher feeds if lubricant is used.

This motor does not have the force to feed a larger end mill(Grizzly 1005).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have retrofit over 300 milling machines, and the only thing i can say to you is, there is not that much cost differance between a 200 oz in stepper and larger ones. Go with as large of one as fits your machine and budject. dont risk going to small.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats really great, I have also visited many other forums but this one is best of all

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no, there is no correction to this board. It is apparetly flawed and not useable in the first place. The actual linistepper board, with it's open source layout, source code, and design DOES work. Please do not be confused by the problems afferriers had with this board. The actual linistepper board has NO problems; it works just fine.

marry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

pease help,
    I would like to know what kind of servo motor do I need to achieve 700IPM and what rack n pinion size do I need at 3 meter length? and also gearing etc

thank you in advance guys.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

please help,
    I want to be able to jog at 700IPM at 3 meter length probably going to use rack n pinion system and prefferable a servo motor. can you guys tell me the spec for servo motor and also the rack n pinion and gearing?