Junk box router table, questions.

Thread: Junk box router table, questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Junk box router table, questions.

Hi, I am building a CNC router table from parts on hand!

The table is 2000mm x 900mm. A steel gantry loves along the long axis and carries the Z axis assemble which has about 150mm travel.

The 900mm axis I have designated X and is moved by a stepper from an old (big) IBM printer, the Z axis uses the same motor, they both use a 2mm pitch threaded rod.

The 2000mm (Y) axis has two threaded rods connected by roller chain and driven by a (modified) F&P washing machine motor.

I am using GRBL and Arduino to drive the motors. JK1545 for the steppers and 3DM683 for the washer motor.

I am in the final stages of assembly.

Things are looking good but I am worried about the speed of the Y axis, it is presently geared for .01mm per step but I am afraid the Y rapid will be very slow so I am considering putting a larger sprocket on the washer motor. The motor has arm-breaking torque but is not fast.

Do you think .01mm per step is good? Could I make it coarser?

Thanks

John

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Junk box router table, questions.

Nowhere near an expert on this...

I think that it depends on what you're going to be using the machine for. If you're going to be making cabinets and desks, 0.01mm is far more resolution than you'll need. Most likely for any wood working project in fact, because the material itself won't really hold that kind of resolution. If your diagonals and arcs are a little chunky, a little hit of sandpaper will deal with it.

If you're going to be using your machine to make metal parts, and need a very smooth finish, you'll want that resolution to be as fine as possible.

Most wood projects are going to have a fair tolerance, by nature of the material. You'd be able to go to much larger steps for work that is parallel to that axis, I think with no problems. It's the arcs and diagonals that will suffer from the drop in resolution.

Some of that drop in resolution will be hidden by the tool that you use for cutting. A laser might show jaggies, like a low-resolution image, where a 1/4" router bit might still look very smooth. Also bigger pieces will be more forgiving. Doing a large sign you might get away with being quite coarse, but a jewelry box inlay, maybe not so much.

Not much that can be said if we don't know what the machine will be used for.

I would guess from the machine build size that you are probably intending to use it for cabinet sized projects. "Not fast" doesn't take long to become "more convenient to do it by hand" which makes for a very large, useless tool. Unfortunately, it's a question that only you're going to be able to answer. Me? I might be willing to bump that resolution up to 0.1mm, knowing what I use my machine for, and how much finish sanding I'm willing to do. Some projects, 0.25mm wouldn't bother me.