Fanuc 0iMC PCMCIA CF Memorycard - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fanuc 0iMC PCMCIA CF Memorycard

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lshingleton View Post

If you ever back up the machine do an sram backup from this screen and it saves everything related to the cnc control at present and a grand father copy for future problems
    Please note the PMC is not backed up from the SRAM option.

also the Xi-XB series and onward you need to also backup the PMC parameters separately

*~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *______Please give to charity [url]https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/______*[/url]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I format my cf card through my fanuc OI controller

Figured it out. Now machine has error Operator message.

No. 2057 power down required to clear alarm 1050

??????????????????

Last edited by landscape; 06-30-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a simple goal here. It is to replace the inverter board for the backlight. in a Fanuc 18i control. Fanuc tells me that before disassembly I MUST back up the SRAM. Furthermore, Fanuc cannot shed any light on why it does not work. They did suggest updating the master PCB and system software. Is that really necessary?

I have tried it with a 512MB compact Flash card. After that, I purchased a 2MB Sram card. They both produced the exact same results, “ MEMORY CARD MOUNT ERROR HIT SELECT”
    If I flip the write protect switch on either card, The 18i does acknowledge the write protect switch has changed.
    The machine is a Mori seiki SV 500/40 APC S/n 1291 Year 1998

Someone has documented the procedure on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HlQn-QCKJE]Fanuc 16i/ 18i/ 21i SRAM Memory backup - YouTube Take a look at this demo and see if it is correct.
    I follow it through and it works great until the error message

I appreciate any input you can provide.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The memory card socket is no good. they are about $50 from Fanuc. 10 minutes to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by ssurfview View Post
    I have a simple goal here. It is to replace the inverter board for the backlight. in a Fanuc 18i control. Fanuc tells me that before disassembly I MUST back up the SRAM. Furthermore, Fanuc cannot shed any light on why it does not work. They did suggest updating the master PCB and system software. Is that really necessary?

I have tried it with a 512MB compact Flash card. After that, I purchased a 2MB Sram card. They both produced the exact same results, “ MEMORY CARD MOUNT ERROR HIT SELECT”
    If I flip the write protect switch on either card, The 18i does acknowledge the write protect switch has changed.
    The machine is a Mori seiki SV 500/40 APC S/n 1291 Year 1998

Someone has documented the procedure on Take a look at this demo and see if it is correct.
    I follow it through and it works great until the error message

I appreciate any input you can provide.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jimmy check you Fanuc manual
    I am almost 100% machines from that era will not support a card more than 250M
    The first ones i had were just 2m/4m/and then 8m
    Is there an RS232 port on the machine ?
    Is there a 2nd card reader inside the control panel for uploading sram ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jimmy check you Fanuc manual
    I am almost 100% machines from that era will not support a card more than 250M
    The first ones i had were just 2m/4m/and then 8m
    Is there an RS232 port on the machine ?
    Is there a 2nd card reader inside the control panel for uploading sram ?
    Thats because that is all they had in those days. I can run a 2 gig CF on mine. I had exactly the same problem on all 4 of my machines. Over the years the little pins in the slot got dirty and bent. Changing the sockets made all 4 work and capable of running large DNC programs.

Downloads
    Uploads

as normal i waste my time with so many people like you
    yes your the expert --so much so you will not under any circumstance
    read the manual supplied for the machine from that era that states the Fanuc control will not support cards over 250m --------also if you use cheap ass 50 dollar cards do at your own peril -----we have blown spindle drives on both OKK and Toyoda mills using them --------but they will work most of the time on most of the controls until disaster
    ()
    Ps-----we have in acces of 10,000 cnc machine of all vintage and builder
    and if the card dont work pull out the cable at the back of the contection and insert a remote one

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

as normal i waste my time with so many people like you
    yes your the expert --so much so you will not under any circumstance
    read the manual supplied for the machine from that era that states the Fanuc control will not support cards over 250m --------also if you use cheap ass 50 dollar cards do at your own peril -----we have blown spindle drives on both OKK and Toyoda mills using them --------but they will work most of the time on most of the controls until disaster
    ()
    Ps-----we have in acces of 10,000 cnc machine of all vintage and builder
    and if the card dont work pull out the cable at the back of the contection and insert a remote one
    He has an 18i.
    I read the manuals. All of them. I have near 15 different manuals for my 18i and 21i's You are right. that is what they say. But that is bacause in 1998 a 2 meg card was huge and the biggest they had.

Anyhow. You should learn to read. the $50 item was the socket. Not the card.

I heard all the stories about what would work and what wouldnt. Most of it is just that. Stories.

BTW. All of my machines work just fine with 2 gig cards. Not a hickup. 2 are from 1998 and 2 from 2000. Ill try explaining to them that they are not supposed to work because the manual says so...

Just for a little proof, I just formatted a 2 gig card in a 1998 18i.

Last edited by jimmy111; 11-17-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take alook on the end of the flash card -there is a toggle switch to protect data -move it to the other side

If you have the paramters on the card in tex form
    press 2 right buttons on control at power up -soft keys to right of screen
    Select load from card and away you go
    Just power off the machine afterwards and back on and it will fully reboot

If you ever back up the machine do an sram backup from this screen and it saves everything related to the cnc control at present and a grand father copy for future problems
    You mean I should convert the SRAM extention or data extension to a txt file using notepad and then try booting?
    Right now the machine just won't boot and the LED alarm indicates a software error which is shutting down the booting process. Naturally nothing is displayed on the operator panel (CRT). I don't know how to connect a keyboard or external monitor to the mainland. System is fanuc 0imb. Any help would be much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Fanuc 0iMC PCMCIA CF Memorycard

Quote Originally Posted by anderin View Post
    Hello, I'm Ander from Bilbao (Spain). I have a new machine with 0iMC control. I have purchased a 8GB Sandisk Compact Flash Card Ultra II and a pcmcia adapter.
    Well... it does not work
    What is the limit of memory that we can install?
    Is it possible to format the memory card inside the control?
    I have read in the forum that is necesary to change a parameter. What is the parameter in the 0i control?
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    I have a new Robodrill Mate and am researching memory card interface on the Oi-MC. I find that Fanuc "Connection Manual (Hardware)" manual B-64113EN/01 in section F, Memory Card Interface, states details on this memory card specifications when used with FANUC Oi-MC (published June 2004) controls. Highlights are it accepts PCMCIA type 1 and type 2 card shapes, requires PC-ATA operation mode (an older standard), and ATA cards that are 5V or 5V/3.3V auto switching. They show a list of cards that are tested, and discuss speed as an issue. Highlights are they recommend using a SanDisk SDCG-31 adapter, or a I-O Data PCCF-ADP. They also show tested and known working CF cards up to a MAXIMUM memory size of 512MB, includingSandisk SDCFB-512-801, and one with maximum size of 1GB as Hitachi HB28B1000A8H.

I suggest you search out this manual name for your control to verify limitations if possible. Use of the memory card from the control is well documented in the Fanuc Manual Guide-i operators manual (Doc. B-63874EN/05). This covers formating and use etc.

GE Fanuc did a lot of documentation, however it is spread out over a lot of manuals, so think of it as an Easter Egg hunt. Enjoy.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dparish View Post
    I have a new Robodrill Mate and am researching memory card interface on the Oi-MC. I find that Fanuc "Connection Manual (Hardware)" manual B-64113EN/01 in section F, Memory Card Interface, states details on this memory card specifications when used with FANUC Oi-MC (published June 2004) controls. Highlights are it accepts PCMCIA type 1 and type 2 card shapes, requires PC-ATA operation mode (an older standard), and ATA cards that are 5V or 5V/3.3V auto switching. They show a list of cards that are tested, and discuss speed as an issue. Highlights are they recommend using a SanDisk SDCG-31 adapter, or a I-O Data PCCF-ADP. They also show tested and known working CF cards up to a MAXIMUM memory size of 512MB, includingSandisk SDCFB-512-801, and one with maximum size of 1GB as Hitachi HB28B1000A8H.

I suggest you search out this manual name for your control to verify limitations if possible. Use of the memory card from the control is well documented in the Fanuc Manual Guide-i operators manual (Doc. B-63874EN/05). This covers formating and use etc.

GE Fanuc did a lot of documentation, however it is spread out over a lot of manuals, so think of it as an Easter Egg hunt. Enjoy.

Cheers
    I also have a Robodrill Mate with oi-mc. What exact compact flash and adapter did you end up buying and get working? I have a fanuc adaptor a Sandisk SDCFB-2048-A10 card. It’s formatted to FAT but I’m still getting Memory Card Error 99. I’ve got two other cards on order that are suggested in this thread.
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc 0iMC PCMCIA CF Memorycard

Format the cards on the Control

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Format the cards on the Control
    The two methods described in this thread did not work. I've formatted through a PC to FAT format. I've tried the quick option and the non-quick option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

I just received and tested this card and it worked! Thanks for the recommendation there. In case that link breaks it was the 256 MB card from CNC Specialty Store, part number PE179472.

Downloads
    Uploads

its port problem

Downloads
    Uploads

First off, I know this is a very old thread, but it's also in the top of a Google Search for formatting a Compact Flash Card for Fanuc Controls.

After spending a lot of time in Trial and Error, I have come up with this method that works 100% of the time for me.
    I've used Compact Flash Cards up to 4GB with zero issues just by creating a 2GB partition.

In Windows:

If Compact Flash Card is larger than 2GB, create a 2GB Partition (1915 MB) - You can use Windows built-in Disk Manager to do this
    Format Flashcard as FAT using default settings (NOT FAT32, just regular FAT)

Go to Windows Search and type diskpart
    Select "Run diskpart as Administrator"

Using Diskpart:
    >list disk
    >select disk x (change x to Compact Flash Card Disk # from list disk IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DISK !!!)
    >list disk (This time, there should be an asterisk next to the Compact Flash Disk on the list)
    >list partition (should only be one partition)
    >select partition 1
    >active (mark disk as active)
    >set id=01 override (change disk type to 01)

You now have a Compact Flash Card up to 2GB in size that will work to Load/Save Programs and Backup/Restore the SRAM and all other critical information.

As a side note, there are a lot of sites that tell you how to backup the SRAM onto a USB thumb drive, but..they fail to tell you you cannot restore the SRAM from a USB, you have to use a Compact Flash Card

S.M.

Last edited by smyers755; 03-02-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks smyers755 for posting. I was trying to backup a Fanuc 18i-PB control with a 4 Gb Compact Flash memory and I decided to follow a Youtube video which advises to use the built in on screen formatting procedure. Formatting gave no errors but as I was trying to transfer SRAM to the memory card, this error showed up: " MEMORY CARD MOUNT ERROR.HIT SELECT KEY".

Moreover, when inserted into a USB card reader, Windows explorer could not access the memory and threw a "broken device" error. (I did not take note, and error was in Spanish but you may get the idea).

So, the complete procedure was (Windows 10 machine)

1) Windows + X to bring up Control Menu (or write compmgmt.msc )
    2) Select Disk Management
    3) Delete the volume created by Fanuc (if you happened to create it as I did). Also, if the card already has a "plus 2Gb) partition already created, you should do the same. Be careful of which drive you choose to delete !
    4) Create a new volume. In my case (2006 machine) I decided to be conservative and created a 512 MB volume. At the end of the process you are advised to format the newly created volume. For some reason, this formatting did not work correctly and when I tried to read the disk, Windows Explorer threw a format error. After formatting it everything worked fine.

After that I did follow smyers755 advice, that is:

>list disk
    >select disk x (change x to Compact Flash Card Disk # from list disk IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DISK !!!)
    >list disk (This time, there should be an asterisk next to the Compact Flash Disk on the list)
    >list partition (should only be one partition)
    >select partition 1
    >active (mark disk as active)
    >set id=01 override (change disk type to 01)

After I did this, everything worked fine at the Fanuc controller.

My 2 cents for the CNC community and my own future reference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123