fanuc 21I-T control HELP

Thread: fanuc 21I-T control HELP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default fanuc 21I-T control HELP

I am looking for some help. I have a Romi M-17 lathe with a fanuc 21I-T control. The issue I am dealing with is the battery died and lost all the presets from Romi. I have the disk with the info on it but can’t get it into the machine. I reached out to Romi and they looked up the machine and sent me the file to make sure I had the right one and still nothing. I am thankful they sent the files over but when I asked for the simple instructions to re install they told me they will quote out a repair visit. Is anyone else getting tired of this BS with machine manufactures’??? I don’t have a warranty and they are in KY and will cost thousands of $$$ to have them come load a simple program. This is why I fully support the right to repair movement.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: fanuc 21I-T control HELP

Pre setts as in Marco or Parameters ?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Parameters from Romi. I have the info just don't know how to get it loaded into the control.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a Manual for the 21i Fanuc ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes and it doesn't show the steps on how to install that part.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Manual shows the procedure to in stall parameters i have here if you would like a copy just email me and will send it to you

Downloads
    Uploads

What type of setup do you have to communicate with the machine? RS232, FLASH card, etc?
    Is the file that they sent you a text file that can be viewed with Notepad or is it a hex file? If it's a hex file it may be an SRAM backup. SRAM backups will require the use of the card reader and boot screen to restore the memory.
    Is the control mounted to the back of the LCD display or is it a free standing unit in the electrical cabinet?
    Did they send you just one file or multiple files?

[url]www.shoprag.com[/url]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a flash card & DB25 port on the controller cabinet. The files they sent are ( PES, PMC & PPP ) file formats.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by selphb View Post
    when I asked for the simple instructions to re install they told me they will quote out a repair visit. Is anyone else getting tired of this BS with machine manufactures’??? I don’t have a warranty and they are in KY and will cost thousands of $$$ to have them come load a simple program. This is why I fully support the right to repair movement.
    Some perspective for you: As a controls engineer, I can tell you the "BS" that they are giving you is likely for a reason. Saving (and restoring) machine backups is one of the most basic things that a machine tool owner can do to keep his machines in working order. If "simple" backup management is outside of the scope of your shop's personnel knowledge, you need a (PAID) service call.

All that said, can you please list the file names (with extensions) that they sent? I've done work on 21is, and those extensions you listed don't make sense to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
    Some perspective for you: As a controls engineer, I can tell you the "BS" that they are giving you is likely for a reason. Saving (and restoring) machine backups is one of the most basic things that a machine tool owner can do to keep his machines in working order. If "simple" backup management is outside of the scope of your shop's personnel knowledge, you need a (PAID) service call.

All that said, can you please list the file names (with extensions) that they sent? I've done work on 21is, and those extensions you listed don't make sense to me.
    You can open the files and post the first 10 or so lines of each one. We should be able to tell what they are from that. If you haven't backed up or restored the files in a machine before, I would recommend using a tech for the first one. I've got a list of service techs around the country. Let me know where you're at and I'll see who is in that area. Here's a link to some videos I made on how to backup a new style machine. It should be close to what you have. These are a little long. They were designed for a training class. TIE sponsored the videos for me.

It's critical that you get the machines backed up. The parameter settings in the machines are considered critical data. Failure to backup critical data can result in the loss of ISO certification.

SRAM Backup

30i Backup - Programs, Offsets, Macros, All Data

30i Backup Parameters and PMC Data

Downloads
    Uploads

I am located in Austin, TX. I would have assumed this info would have been in the owners manual from Fanuc but guess not. PM sent

Downloads
    Uploads

I am located in Austin, TX. I would have assumed this info would have been in the owners manual from Fanuc but guess not. PM sent

Downloads
    Uploads

Shoot me a PM and I will send you the links.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am located in Austin, TX. I would have assumed this info would have been in the owners manual from Fanuc but guess not.
    There is no such thing as a Fanuc "owner's manual." The most commonly used Fanuc manuals regarding machine tools are the Connection Function Manual, the Parameter Manual, the Operator Common Manual, and the Operator Mill and Turn Manuals... each of which are unique to the model series, each of them hundreds pages long. I am starting to think you are misunderstanding what "simple" tasks are.

Let's also talk about MTB specification. Romi doesn't do the same thing as Mori, or Hass, or (insert machine tool builder name here). There's no magic bullet when you want to un-f*ck a machine that has been neglected.

If you want your Romi lathe working per manufacturer spec, you need to do it through Romi.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Robbins is going to quote his cost at some point.. guarantee that. Don't want my advice? Cool. Good luck with your future contract work.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no problem paying for the help. I just refuse to pay Romi to fly out to do something I should be able to do with instructions. I have the programs and know computers. I know they have the instruction on how to do it since they have to train their techs. I cant wait for the right to repair law to go threw.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no problem paying for the help. I just refuse to pay Romi to fly out to do something I should be able to do with instructions.
    What?! So you're willing to pay.. just not the guys who MADE THE MACHINE? Look man, I agree that your shop should have been trained to do your own backup work. Did you purchase this machine from a third party? If that's the case, whoopsie on you guys for not having your ducks in a row.

I have the programs and know computers. I know they have the instruction on how to do it since they have to train their techs.
    Absolutely false. There is ZERO guarantee that a MTB has specific instructions for an end user on how to perform non-standard tasks. Not sure where you got that idea from.

I cant wait for the right to repair law to go threw.
    Here's a shocker for you... Even if your machine's manufacturer refuses to deal with you, you can still use your equipment. You can reprogram it, you can repurpose it, you can burn it to the ground for whoever wants to. Your right to repair is exactly that. An OEM doesn't have to "help" you circumvent their design or share their engineering with you.

For all intensive purposes, I'm done with this conversation. It's obvious that you don't want help, you want to complain. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no problem paying for the help. I just refuse to pay Romi to fly out to do something I should be able to do with instructions. I have the programs and know computers. I know they have the instruction on how to do it since they have to train their techs. I cant wait for the right to repair law to go threw.
    I sent you a list of service providers in TX. I don't do service calls anymore. Getting to old to bounce around the country. TIE has hired me to provide tech support, build test stations and provide training. You can call them at 615-471-5070 to start a tech support case. There's no charge for this. They can help you get the machine back up. The file you have called SRAM0_5A appears to be an SRAM backup. You can copy this to a FLASH card and use the boot screen to restore the memory. Follow the procedure in the video link I sent earlier. Keep in mind, that this is the memory at the point the backup was made. Some items, such as turret position and reference return points, will likely have changed. You will need to modify these settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
    What?! So you're willing to pay.. just not the guys who MADE THE MACHINE? Look man, I agree that your shop should have been trained to do your own backup work. Did you purchase this machine from a third party? If that's the case, whoopsie on you guys for not having your ducks in a row.

Absolutely false. There is ZERO guarantee that a MTB has specific instructions for an end user on how to perform non-standard tasks. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Here's a shocker for you... Even if your machine's manufacturer refuses to deal with you, you can still use your equipment. You can reprogram it, you can repurpose it, you can burn it to the ground for whoever wants to. Your right to repair is exactly that. An OEM doesn't have to "help" you circumvent their design or share their engineering with you.

For all intensive purposes, I'm done with this conversation. It's obvious that you don't want help, you want to complain. Good luck.
    With the vides in the other post I was able to get everything back up and going. I can't wait for the right to repair to go threw and the BS like I went threw with Romi wanting a couple grand to fly out to do what took me an hour is BS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shoprag View Post
    You can open the files and post the first 10 or so lines of each one. We should be able to tell what they are from that. If you haven't backed up or restored the files in a machine before, I would recommend using a tech for the first one. I've got a list of service techs around the country. Let me know where you're at and I'll see who is in that area. Here's a link to some videos I made on how to backup a new style machine. It should be close to what you have. These are a little long. They were designed for a training class. TIE sponsored the videos for me.

It's critical that you get the machines backed up. The parameter settings in the machines are considered critical data. Failure to backup critical data can result in the loss of ISO certification.

SRAM Backup

30i Backup - Programs, Offsets, Macros, All Data

30i Backup Parameters and PMC Data
    Thanks I got everything back up and going with your videos. I am beyond pissed off with Romi now after getting things back up and going after less than an hour. I will be sending corporate a nice letter telling them what i think about the BS customer service.