Fanuc 0m control upgrade to 0i-MF?

Thread: Fanuc 0m control upgrade to 0i-MF?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc 0m control upgrade to 0i-MF?

Hello, I am interested in upgrading the control on my 1990s kitamura mycenter 3x to the most modern fanuc control I can without replacing my drives and servos. I have read here that all the 0 controls are mostly compatible and would love to hear more about this topic, especially those who have done this upgrade themselves. I haven’t reached out to fanuc yet about thier retrofit option which I know is the highest $$$ way to do this.

Please don’t tell me to get a galil or whatever third party retrofit. I am interested in keeping this a fanuc control for simplicity sake( I have spent a huge amount of time in the past on a full retrofit on another mill to linuxcnc and don’t have that kind of time this time)

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by asah; 12-10-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc 0m control upgrade to 0i-MF?

The 0 control has been around for a long time. It has gone through a number of variations. The 0 model A, B, and C used analog or the old digital S-series drives. The C-series began to transition into the original alpha series drives. The D-series is digital only-no analog. All of the i-series controls use a fiber optic communications system to the drives. What it boils down to is this, if you want to upgrade to the 0i-F, you will need all new drives and cables. The ladder logic and parameters will also need to be created from scratch. This is an expensive option for a small machine.

[url]www.shoprag.com[/url]

Downloads
    Uploads

Great info thanks!
    I would love the cost effective option to upgrading as far as I can. Obviously replacing drives get pricey. Where can I get info on the different drive series? Are there good fanuc reference manuals? I find it hard to learn about all these different drives / controls as it feels like the consumable information is sparse. A part number database would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoprag View Post
    The 0 control has been around for a long time. It has gone through a number of variations. The 0 model A, B, and C used analog or the old digital S-series drives. The C-series began to transition into the original alpha series drives. The D-series is digital only-no analog. All of the i-series controls use a fiber optic communications system to the drives. What it boils down to is this, if you want to upgrade to the 0i-F, you will need all new drives and cables. The ladder logic and parameters will also need to be created from scratch. This is an expensive option for a small machine.