Will Hitting the Reset Button Stop an Indexer?

Thread: Will Hitting the Reset Button Stop an Indexer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will Hitting the Reset Button Stop an Indexer?

Im considering upgrading my machine (Sharp 2412 VMC) with a standalone indexer that has it's own control box. I'm currently drip feeding programs on my machine with a memory card, so I'll have to switch that to drip feeding from the indexer control box via RS232 and M codes.

What I'm wondering is, how will I be able to stop all axes of motion when I'm proofing a program for the first time?

Right now it goes: run program from memory card > see problem > press reset button > XYZ & spindle stops

Will my new setup require that I press stop on the indexer control box too? Or does my fanuc control send a stop signal to the indexer via serial cable? I'm trying to avoid a situation where I need to press 2 buttons to stop a program in an emergency.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Will Hitting the Reset Button Stop an Indexer?

I'm not sure what you mean by "so I'll have to switch that to drip feeding from the indexer control box via RS232 and M codes"

Most indexers have a "program" loaded that has several moves or a single move that is repeated. The control would issue a command (M-code) to the indexer to execute the next line. Once the indexer is in-position it issues a FIN (complete)
    signal back to the Fanuc and the Fanuc then continues on with the program. This operation type is why you can not interpolate (under normal setup / practices) with an indexer.
    The indexer would not receive any type of drip feed.

So if RESET is pressed on the Fanuc. The program would stop and no further index commands would be sent to the indexer control. Now, if the indexer was executing an index, that move would most likely complete unless there was handshaking to interrupt it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oetkbyentc View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "so I'll have to switch that to drip feeding from the indexer control box via RS232 and M codes"

Most indexers have a "program" loaded that has several moves or a single move that is repeated. The control would issue a command (M-code) to the indexer to execute the next line. Once the indexer is in-position it issues a FIN (complete)
    signal back to the Fanuc and the Fanuc then continues on with the program. This operation type is why you can not interpolate (under normal setup / practices) with an indexer.
    The indexer would not receive any type of drip feed.

So if RESET is pressed on the Fanuc. The program would stop and no further index commands would be sent to the indexer control. Now, if the indexer was executing an index, that move would most likely complete unless there was handshaking to interrupt it.
    Yes that's correct. Normally the control sends commands to the indexer, but in my case I don't have enough memory to run modern CAM generated program without using the memory card. The memory card takes up the I/O channel on the control that the rs232 cable would utilize.

To get around this, the indexer control can act as a PC and drip feed the machine while reading and omitting the AB moves from being sent to the control.

That's interesting to know though, that there's basically no way to stop an indexer once it's initiated it's move no matter how you control it! I spoke with the indexer company and they confirmed that the control box for the indexer doesn't listen for an interrupt signal

Downloads
    Uploads

When you hit the reset button on the control, some physical relay most likely changes state, just hard wire into that and use it as a permissive to control the power to the rotary. In other words, just interrupt the power to the rotary in the same way the power is interrupted to the other axis motors.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    When you hit the reset button on the control, some physical relay most likely changes state, just hard wire into that and use it as a permissive to control the power to the rotary. In other words, just interrupt the power to the rotary in the same way the power is interrupted to the other axis motors.
    I like the way you think! I'll have to see what relays trip when the reset button is hit.

Probably tie the indexer controller to this relay. https://www.functionaldevices.com/pr...etails/RIBU1S/

It's got a 3 way switch, so once I've properly proofed a program I can leave it always on.

Depending on what vintage control you have parameter 110.0 may be available. It allows the setting of separate Input and output channels and devices. So you could set memory card as input device and Rs232 as output device.
    Parameter 20 becomes Input device and 21 becomes output device.
    I have not tried this specifically while using DNC but I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends if you want to conform to regulations regarding a standard E-stop?!
    It is laid out in CEC/NEC etc and there is a description in NFPA79, of which there is a copy out there in PDF, if a search is done.
    In most cases all motive power must be removed, normally done with a standard E_stop string with NAND contact string.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Depends if you want to conform to regulations regarding a standard E-stop?!
    It is laid out in CEC/NEC etc and there is a description in NFPA79, of which there is a copy out there in PDF, if a search is done.
    In most cases all motive power must be removed, normally done with a standard E_stop string with NAND contact string.
    I'd prefer to leave the E-Stop on my machine alone and find another way to halt the rotary mid-move. This is the indexer I'm looking at: https://www.indexdesignscnc.com/tr6

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oetkbyentc View Post
    Depending on what vintage control you have parameter 110.0 may be available. It allows the setting of separate Input and output channels and devices. So you could set memory card as input device and Rs232 as output device.
    Parameter 20 becomes Input device and 21 becomes output device.
    I have not tried this specifically while using DNC but I don't see a reason it shouldn't work.
    There's definitely a way to do this (I have another thread where I post the full method to set this up) but it's definitely more complicated than just drip feeding from the indexer control. I thought about doing it that way, but I wouldn't gain anything functionally since I still wouldn't be able to stop the motion of the indexer with that configuration either.