Build Thread FANUC System 15 Model A build

Thread: FANUC System 15 Model A build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default FANUC System 15 Model A build

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I posted a build thread, if not to help others find the right boards, etc. to finish and or upgrade their controls, especially if they have the A02B-0094-B502 System Unit with back plane A20B-1003-0230. Since I wanted a Milling control, I picked a system unit / backplane off ebay that said 15M on the yellow sticker.

I got throught most of this build pretty easily and finished around mid-2012 but I dont know how I missed documenting on CNCZone...at least whats needed if you are going to build one from parts on eBay, which I did with most of my builds. All in, I spent about $2,500 US but YMMV, just to give an idea of what to expect and the system I built has all of the boards. The parts for the larger system unit are usually more available on eBay than the others, so IMHO it would be easier to go that route.

While the manuals are great reference to whats needed.. there are no good PDF's of the Model A manual available that I could find.

I'll do my best to describe here what to purchase to build or upgrade the best system possible.

1 ea. A02B-0094-B502 System Unit including back plane board A16B-1003-0230.
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C041 14" CRT/MDI or -C041/-C042 for the 9" version (either one is ok)
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C105 Battery Unit
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C109 Punch Panel/Interface/RS232
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C107 Operator Panel Connection Unit w/ I/O
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C102 or -C103 PMC Cassette (either one is ok; just depends on how big your ladder file(s) are)
    1 ea. A02B-0094-C901 Heat Exchanger

List of boards, (most of them start with A16B-2200 numbers).

BASE2
    BASE1
    BASE0

The CNC control will not start without the BASE cards. I don't know about the specific software version of the ROMs needed for between the M and T controls, and possibly the others L, P and G. Perhaps someone could chime in. There are various configurations based on whether you have a 15 or 150 so there are several options for the BASE0, BASE1 and BASE2 boards.. The 150's CRT/MDI has a PMC key added to it.

There are a few different power supplies you can use. This would depend on your system unit and what type power you have avalable.

If you wish to turn the control into a 150M or 150T, this will take additional cards. I have enough parts to turn my 15 into a 150 if I wanted the PMC which is a great addition.

Your best option with the Series 15 Model A is to choose the A06B-6058 or the A06B-6066 units. Possibly even the A06B-60a02b-0094-c79's, I haven't tried that so I can't verify these would work. Perhaps someone knows if they've used the 15 with the '79's. As for servos, I've typically used the same set of AC or S series servos, the A06B-0314 or A06B-0315's between all of my machine builds. The 0S, 5S or 10S are all decent motors and work with the A06B-6058-H004 or -H005 units.

The 14" CRT/MDI unit w/ SYSTEM UNIT -B502 really deserves a decent cabinet if you have room for a floor standing cabinet. I am not sure I would reccomend building a smaller version of the 15, but it can be done and would be cheaper. If the control is smaller and more integrated into the machine itself, you should look at the -B501 unit and the 9" CRT MDI.

As for a operator panel with the Jog Handwheel, Cycle Start/Stop, protect switch/key etc. you have a few options. You can get a optional panel either 44C741055 or 44C741056 and pick a version from eBay that would suit your machine. Those keycaps are removeable so you could make your own layout for button functions. There is a manual that describes this. If you have the 15 with a 9" CRT/MDI unit there is a A02B-0094-C081 Operator Panel but it has no Jog or protect switch/key. [I will put the manual(s) numbers in a edit soon or a followup post... ]

The 15 is a great upgrade control from the 10/11/12 controls. If you have the room, it may also work for replacing the 0M / 0T controls as well. They can handle most machining enviroments between Milling (M) and Turning.(T) up to 16 axes and at least 1 spindle. Especially for someone that did not want to upgrade to a 16/18/21 control or a i Series (I have posts on those as well).

For a back story to this build, During this time 2005-2012 I built at two machines and had a machine tool builder build two more. Most of my machines are VMC's with a 20 tool umbrella ATC, 8,500 RPM spindle, 16x30 table, etc. so the 15 was suited to this build.

I got my cables made by what was then www.fanuccables.com [new URL is www.machinetoolcables.com ] but if you already have a machine that needs a retrofit, most of the cables should go into the same labled plugs with a few minor changes. Their prices are oretty good.

You also will need some system I/O.. so as for the I/O I used the same modules and the I/O backplane I used for the three 0 controls I built over a few years time. The manuals describe this pretty well. This was the A03B-0801-C with the large yellow I/O modules. This made the work easy. [I'll edit this post and list the modules and backplane and power supply used later]

I may create a couple posts to show and describe the VMC and lathe builds. Two of the milling machines are decent sized epoxy granite type machines. The other two are weldments and are linears with rails by Hiwin.
    I had one of them in my 24x36 garage before I moved into a larger shop.

So, why a 15 you say? Well, it relally came down to ease of installation, finding the parts, cost of the boards and deciding I really like the 15's. Someay I will build the B model.. The B model is a Yellow Box control. like the 16/18/21 and the i series. Should be fun.

Thanks all.