current limit settings on spindle drive, serial param settings, fanuc 16iM

Thread: current limit settings on spindle drive, serial param settings, fanuc 16iM

Downloads
    Uploads

Default current limit settings on spindle drive, serial param settings, fanuc 16iM

I have a robodrill t14ia with 16iM control.

the label on the control cab says 9kva. that being said, the spindle drive says max input is about 30kva.

the spindle is very aggressive in current draw on acceleration. I get alarm 05 dc bus low alarms when trying to accel above 6krpm. its a 12k spindle.

I tried changing the params 4083 (accel time), 4202 current limit strategy, 4203 current limit value. these settings seemed to have no effect at all.

i tried settings 4083 from 10 to 200, no effect, setting of 500 made alarms
    i tried 4202, 1 (default is 0). my understanding is that this would limit the current only on acceleration, but i dont know this for sure. i believe 1 is on accel only, 2 is on full speed only, 3 is accel and full speed?
    i tried 4203, 100, 80, 40, 10, 1 (default is 0), settings above 100 made alarms

i have all the fanuc manuals and i rtfm (i think?!). anyone out there have experience with this era of fanuc drive and params to where you know how to get the machine to slow down the acceleration slightly?

thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: current limit settings on spindle drive, serial param settings, fanuc 16iM

i read the manual some more. 4202 is for the sub spindle. 4028 is for the main spindle. i will try this instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: current limit settings on spindle drive, serial param settings, fanuc 16iM

OK, this is solved. RTFM... actually the paper manual that i have did not mention the sub spindle thing. it was a pdf from ge-fanuc archive that i found online that spelled it out that those 4202 was sub spindle, 4028 is for main spindle.

I set 4028 to 1 (i believe this means accel/decel current limit only)
    4029 was set to 100 as default
    i set 4029 to various values and it affected the accel/decel ramps a lot. with it set to 30, the accel was very smooth and slow but this might not be what you want, for example it might affect right tapping? I dont know. maybe i'll try that later.

but for now I have 4029 set to 80 (assume this means 80pct). with this I can m3/m4 to full spindle speed all i want and without alarms and without the lights dimming.

if you're trying to run a robodrill or another fanuc control on a rotary phase converter this setting will likely help you a lot as it did me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just had some over current alarms, we traced it down to a encoder signal. The back bearing of the spindle was picking up runout under load, it could run to full rpm without load, but would fault as soon as there was side load.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

my problems are caused by using a RPC and also having too small of a single phase transformer installed here, dealing with getting a bigger transformer is a different topic!

I have been running with current limit set to on, and limited to 75. this failed on me maybe because a lot of other stuff is running here. If I set the current limit to 50 or less, then the tool changer fails. rigid tapping fails with the current limit turned on. with the current limit off it works fine.

I tried setting the parameters using G10L50 but it had no effect. I wanted to disable the current limit prior to rigid tapping, then turn it back on after.

this should work and the G10 option is enabled on my machine.

I tried the code:

G10L50;
    N4028R0;
    G11;

This code executes without errors, but it doesn't actually change the parameter 4028 at all. maybe 4028 is just a parameter that cannot be modified by G10? anyone with experience in this out there?

Downloads
    Uploads

I read in another post that spindle params need a P value (i guess because there could be other spindles? i have no idea why).

but, the code:

G10L50;
    N4028P1R0;
    G11;

it works. it will change the parameter to value of 0 programmatically.

So, it seems that I can change my post processor to have a current limit setting at will. such as maybe there's no current limit unless the spindle speed is programmed to greater than 6000 rpm. or maybe just disable current limit prior to tool changes and rigid tapping, then enable current limit at other times to avoid voltage disturbances.

pretty neat

Downloads
    Uploads

the final code looks like:

G10L50
    N4028P1R1
    G11
    G4P1000
    S10000 M03
    G4P1000
    G10L50
    N4028P1R0
    G11
    G4P500
    G00 G90 G54 X1.4978 Y-4.623

the parameter change needs time to take hold or the control keeps executing too fast and the current limit is turned off before the spindle is at speed. with the delays it works good.