Need Help! Help with wear offsets in threadmilling operation

Thread: Help with wear offsets in threadmilling operation

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with wear offsets in threadmilling operation

Trying to do some threadmilling with a oi-MC control. The code has the following:

G41 D1

Threadmill is moving G03.

and of course, G40.

I'm trying to figure out what to put in the offsets. I have both the Geometry (D) and Wear (D).

I'm trying to control the fit of the thread and it is currently too small. I'm thinking a negative number in the wear column for that tool will cause it to cut a tad bigger. Is this correct?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with wear offsets in threadmilling operation

Geometry offset is usually 1/2 tool diameter, (if that's how your machine is setup). You can subtract from the Geometry, or go negative in the Wear. I put tool info in the Geometry, and adjust size in the Wear. ---- John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    Trying to do some threadmilling with a oi-MC control. The code has the following:

G41 D1

Threadmill is moving G03.

and of course, G40.

I'm trying to figure out what to put in the offsets. I have both the Geometry (D) and Wear (D).

I'm trying to control the fit of the thread and it is currently too small. I'm thinking a negative number in the wear column for that tool will cause it to cut a tad bigger. Is this correct?
    Caution with Oi control G + W offset = total offset
    For this reason you need to work out a procedure to follow always ie. T#,H#,D(#+30)
    (example T1 uses H1D31)

Now your query, a smaller number makes the toolpath closer to your programmed contour, a neg number can be used.
    Sounds as if you program using tool centreline method, where a zero offset is used when using a correct sized tool.