Need Help! Control Panel Dead while overload!?

Thread: Control Panel Dead while overload!?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Control Panel Dead while overload!?

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a DAHLIH MCV 1020 that would appear to be in very good condition in spite of its age (1989). Apparently the machine was operational to the point where it was decommissioned and stored for a few years.

It is still original with the Fanuc Series 0-M controller and my intention is to retrofit it with a Centroid Oak.

I was hoping to start the machine to simply JOG the axis's and run the spindle to get a feel for the machine condition before starting to spend a lot of time and money on stripping, reconditioning and retrofitting.

Problem is that only the fans and some green LEDs on the boards light up and that's it.
    The Control panel does not start at all (DEAD) and what concerns me is that the Load indicator on the control panel (Meter) shows and overload while nothing is running.
    The Green LED on the Driver board is on, but there is no numeric display on the RED LED panel.
    When one switches the control panel on, there is a quick "double-click" with brief single red flashing on the computer board. When turning the control panel off there is a single click on the computer board.

Stupid question... Where is the 24v power supply and what does it look like?
    In the main power panel there are two transformers, what are these?

FYI: The machine utilize a 380V - 200V external Transformer and the 200V power is close to equal on all phases.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Control Panel Dead while overload!?

Congrats on the new machine. Sorry to hear you're having troubles getting it up and running. I hope you got all the manuals from the manufacturer with it as they're a huge help. Any Fanuc manuals you can easily find and download off the internet.

I'm sort of here just to say that, even though you're having startup troubles, which isn't unheard of on any machine that's been sitting around awhile, (I really hope your batteries aren't dead and you've lost all the parameters) once you get it up and running, Fanucs are very reliable. That OM control is very capable, and there are hundreds of thousands in use. I did a quicky look at that controller you're thinking about and didn't notice any fancy servo control capabilities beyond what you've already got. (No look ahead or advance feed forward etc. kind of stuff)

If you have Yellow Cap DC servos, then changing out doesn't sound quite as bad. If you've got Red Cap AC servos, I think you'd be well served to use what you have for awhile and spend the money you save ixnaying the retrofit and use it for tooling and work holding, which can easily reach into the thousands as well.

The two transformers.

One is likely a control voltage step down transformer giving you 90-110VAC which is used here and there.

The other is what they call an AC reactor. Not sure if DC machines have those but I've seen them in all AC Fanuc machines. They're usually one of the first things the power passes through after the on off switch.

I'm not as familiar with the pre 90's control physical setup. In later stuff the 24V supply is usually easy to find. Just some separate vented box that looks like a small power supply.

Anyway... beg borrow and steal for the original manuals, and think about giving what you've got a try. Good luck regardless the path.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi GG,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, it is much appreciated.

I've actually spent the entire day wrestling with the web for some manuals. There is a ton of information out there but finding the right stuff is a challenge. I did however manage to find some Maintenance Manuals which is very helpful and some drips and drabs of similar posts on other makes of machines and control systems that came up with some generic similarities.

What I have discovered is that F13 and F14 Fuses are absent.... (that helps) and that Fanuc fuses are not something you pick up at the local hardware store or automotive dealer. They seem to be very scares and insanely expensive in South Africa. I found a Speciality CNC Store in the USA that supplies them quite cheap, but they don't ship globally... So now I'll try to get a friend in Houston to forward them to me.

I have not made much progress on the "overload" indication on the load meter, but I have some ideas of troubleshooting and specifically the K33/JY1 Load Meter/Speed Meter from the Spindle Amplifier Module. It might also be skewed indication because of the 24V failure.

I'll pop in and update with any developments, but it may be a tedious excercise.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope you ordered at least two of each of the fuses, and do a good bit of overall checking before replacing them. Would hate to see you install fuses and then have them immediately blow again.

You never did say if you had Black, Yellow or Red Cap servos. And what version of Fanuc O?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi GG!

Apologies for going quiet.

Updates:
    1. I found 1 more fuse missing on the Spindle drive and when I replaced it, the overload indication on the panel meter went away but when I tried to run the spindle I got an AL-12 Alarm. (Spindle Overload) without it even trying to start.
    2. Decided this is more advanced than my limited knowledge, so I called in a Tech. Bottom line the spindle drive was damaged and I got this repaired.
    3. As we're going through the steps of firing the old lady up, we're encountering more issues. At this stage it would appear there might be some incorrect parameters and we suspect the tool changer is disabled in the logic, and we're really having a hard time finding manuals for this specific machine and control (Fanuc 0M).
    4. The good news however is that mechanically everything looks really good and everything functions when the TECH manual override them on the hydraulic solenoid valves.

OH yes, before I forget again ... RED CAP Fanuc Motors.

SBTW, thanks for your advise not to retrofit. The knowledgeable guys recon the Fanuc is very old, but a sold platform and when (not if) we get everything sorted, this baby will do the job and be reliable. I also found a repair shop for Fanuc that is really good.

What do you think of my investment so far? (Equivalent USD)
    Bought machine = $4130
    Spindle Drive Repair = $700
    TECH Cost = $250

Thus my total cost so far is just over $5000 and I expect to spend around another $1000 to completion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control Panel Dead while overload!?-img-20200917-wa0013-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to see you went with what you have. The service guy was right in that once it's going, it is a capable and reliable control.

The soft key and control keypad membranes are available on ebay for a reasonable price. Some I think are Chinese knock-offs and some not. Last time I looked anyway. Not saying you need them as I can't see from here, but just a heads up if you ever wanted to spruce it up. I've run my OM for 15-20 years, can never remember, and have only had to service one servo drive in that whole time. Not bad.My machine is a 97 OMC. I have the A06B-6079 drives and Alpha Series servos. Curious what you have.

Hope you have the front doors and a cover for the tool changer. If not you might want to fabricate both as it will help keep the coolant and chips from taking over your space, and gungking up the tool changer is not a good idea.

The manuals for OM are all over the internet free to down load. If you're not finding them your googling skills need work! :-)

The manuals form the MTB I can understand as being hard to find. That's where the really good info is stored. The Fanuc Connection/Function manuals are worthwhile. Well... all are worthwhile if you like learning everything you can about something.

Anyway... good luck. Money well spent. Hope you can get the parameter thing sorted out. Need any help learning to program, try Peter Smids book on CNC Programming. Worked for me.