Need Help! Leadwell w OMF setting z-axis for tool change ??

Thread: Leadwell w OMF setting z-axis for tool change ??

Question Leadwell w OMF setting z-axis for tool change ??

Hi,

We are nearly at the end phase 1 for getting a '93 leadwell OP with fanuc OMF. "We" are a zero-cost, non-profit teaching high school student robotics, mechanical design and cnc. We no experience setting up or operating a leadwell (or any other cnc machine).

Currently, our tool carousel is bumping the spindle nose, not a good thing. BTW, our robotics teams started Oct 25 and we still don't have any working cnc machine.

A bit a background, we got this machine with no parameters and the parameters were recreated from reading the fanuc manuals and with invaluable help from forum members, TriStar and CAMPAT.

From help from CAMPAT,
    TriStar and fanuc, I was told to use either parameters 510 (z-axis grid shift) or 737 (REF2Z- distance from reference point to second reference point) and setting using [G91, G28, Z0] or [G91, G30, Z0] (respectively) to set the z-axis positions during change operations. The G codes needs power-off to take effect.

On "our" leadwell, using parameter 510 (grid shift = 1000/1mm) has no effect on z-axis position. Don't know why, maybe another wrong parameter ?

Parameter 737 does moves the z-axis, however it turns off ZRN and tool change fails due to not on ZRN. When ZRN reaches 0 after power-off/on, it in the same position (measured with a dial indicator).

Neither using 510 or 737 moves the z-axis during tool change operations, which I expect to happen.

What am I doing/thinking wrong ?

Thanks
    gary

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Leadwell w OMF setting z-axis for tool change ??

parameter 737is effective only with G30 that means second reference point
    G28 is going to machine reference point and is a solid green led and when you type G91 G30 Z0 ,will go to second reference point and that is used for tool change ,must be a blinking green led and should work.

make the diference between G28 and G30 as are 2 diferent things
    G28-machine reference point
    G30 second reference point(used always for tool change) and is the distance from machine reference point to the position where it will change the tool.

@zavateandu

Thank for the details If G30 is used for tool change (M06), why is G91 G30 Z0 turning off ZRN ? Everything I read is ZRN is supposed to stay lit (true) when G91 is executed.

Honestly, moving z's home dog seems the easiest, although I'll have to climb in to reach it.

Downloads
    Uploads

G30 is turning off ZRN because is second zero return and is not true zero point,most of machine will blink the led on G30
    Moving the dog will result in alarm of over travel whne you will zero the machine.
    Moving the dog is effective only when the grid shift parameters is working.

Hi zavateandu

That G30 definitely does not blink the ZRN on this machine. I wish it did. Maybe a different year works, sadly not mine.

I moved both the hard limit dog and the home dog about 3mm. When zeroing after moving dogs, I changed the stroke limit temporarily. No problems yet and fixes my immediate issue. This is not a long term solution. I'm suspect this issue falls squarely onto "operator error".
    I need to read more on G91 and G90 interactions and how they act on this '93 leadwell/fanuc.

There is something not correct. I'm not sure if the controller or me (most likely)

I was sent a chapter from a leadwell manual explaining the alignment procedure. The manual was in Italian, I translated it to english and placed it in word. The zip file is attached to this post

Attached Files Attached Files

One brief update:

After speaking with Chris Hanson at Campat, he explained the grid shift parameters (508-511) are "always on" for my machine. During home operation, the fanuc controller senses the home dog microswitch, then applies the grid shift offset; in this case, the z-axis offset in #510.

On this machine's vintage, Leadwell's ATC ladder doesn't adjust home positions for tool change (blinking ZRN) using REF2 (parameters #735-738 executing G91, G30)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys.
    Please i need help
    I find a old Leadwell MVC 1000p need all the info manuals please
    Parts electrical everything.
    This machine was working but the previous guy toke it apart and just left it.
    No it’s my problem can somebody please point me in the right direction.
    Thank you