0-ma 2nd communications port? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 0-ma 2nd communications port?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 0-ma 2nd communications port?

I think I made it worse.

I had a go at replacing the chips. I pulled the main board took out the chips and replaced them with sockets. it all looked ok.

After reinstalling the board i got the usual errors and put in the 900 parameters then the com port parameters.

eob+ input and thought i had sent a parameter file through. some of the parameters were populated but not others. Also flow control didn't seem to be working.

It seems like the com port still isn't working. I punched the parameters in by hand and now it just needs a zero return but the lower keyboard isn't responding and has no lights on.

is there anyway to diagnose whats happened to the lower keyboard?

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you referring to the operator's panel? That may run through the pmc (ladder).

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the op panel is run my the pmc, so it probably won't work until you get the pc paramaters put in. That sucks on the chips. only thing I can think of is to look carfully for any briged pins from too much solder, chips in with the notch in the proper direction, and pins on the chips that bent under unsetead of going properly in the socket. I know you probably already checked for all that but it can be sneaky and easy to miss. I'm rooting for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

would a bad ladder chip throw an error? since it is 0m-a you cant view the ladder.

I have loaded the parameters by hand.

Downloads
    Uploads

They worked before, I doubt they would just choose to mess up now. Man, that is frustrating I hope it is something easy like a mis-seated cable or something. Even though you can't see the ladder can you look at the diagnostic bits and see if any of the buttons on the op panel are having any effect? At least that way you would know you have valid connections to the control? I don't have an A on line but do have a B if there is anything I can compare for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried reseating all the plugs but it hasn't helped.

one thing i have noticed is that the leds in the keys don't flash on as it boots like normal.

there may be some life in it since it defaults to midi mode but it changed to jog at one stage but I havn't been able to replicate that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have found the keys are responding. diagnostic parameters in the 20's form set patterns when the keys are pressed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that's encouraging at least you know the control is seeing the inputs. I don't suppose you have paper ladder print out to help you correlate as to what inputs should produce what outputs address wise? Then you could work backwards. Depending on your operator panel the post I referenced in my recent post might be of some usefulness. I can't help imagining a small drop of solder splashed somewhere on the board or something similar. It's super easy to lift a pad when de-soldering chips ,especially when they are varnished over on both sides and that is probably at least a 2 sided board with plated through holes . I also imagine my vision blurring and my mind numbing hand entering all those parameters. Columns and rows transposing on you and such. It might not hurt to have a second set of eyes double check them for you. Sometimes I see things that aren't there and vice-versa when I get tired and frustrated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was quite careful when doing the soldering but I wasn't as concerned with heat input as I was on the spindle amp since I wasn't trying to reuse and salvage components.

The chips were surrounded by rs232 chips apart from one 74LS640 next to one. maybe I cooked it.

there was one pin that didn't flow as well as i wanted but it still looked decent. I'll pull the board again and have a second look.

you would be surprised how few parameters there are. I have checked them twice especially the pmc version, 900's and the first 50 or so that have a lot of the setup.

no ladder with this machine and if it is a pmc error the machine will be a boat anchor and I'll have to part it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12