Fanuc Start Up after 4 Years of Sitting??

Thread: Fanuc Start Up after 4 Years of Sitting??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc Start Up after 4 Years of Sitting??

Hi,

I am looking at buying 3 Hyundai VMC's with Fanuc Oi-MC control. The deal is though that they have been sitting in heated storage for 4 years! They are nice machines for a decent price but I am not sure what I am getting into booting up a control that has been sitting for this amount of time.

Does anybody have any advice on what I could expect trying to reboot a control that has been offline for so long? I am not a Fanuc guy so I just don't know what to expect or how bad it could be. Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc Start Up after 4 Years of Sitting??

No problems except if their batteries haven't been kept alive, you're walking into a bunch of work just to get them to move. 4 years is a long time for a battery. Even the big 3 D cell backups. Hopefully you have a disk or backup of the parameters for each of them because I think you're going to need them. Meaning if the control batteries have died your parameters are toast. Look to see if there are batteries in any of the servo drives. I would order up a full set of batteries for each (the control battery too) to have on hand when you start firing these things up. Won't do you much good to install them before you turn them on. If a machine happens to come up all the way, I would install all new batteries before shutting it down. If absolute encoders are used, you'll be doing lots of re-homing of the machine axis. This isn't that difficult if you have some factory manuals.

You also will want a file transfer system up and running and ready to go for reloading or backing up parameters.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would request to see them actually running before considering any purchase.
    This enables you to evaluate the condition of all parts of the machine... especially the spindle, and axis motions.
    Check that all manuals, parameter hardcopy & copy of software parameter exist for each machine.

That the machine runs in the condition that you would receive it...ie. that features on the machine (not being sold) are actually removed when checking them out.

You may try to have a condition of sale added that allows for refund for non running machine. ( they may hesitate if they know of any faulty condition of the machine)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes... everything Superman said is solid advise. Not what you were asking about but still. In this situation I wish I'd offered it up myself along with the rest of it. One thing I did say needs fixing.

What I said earlier about it won't do you any good to install batteries before you turn the machines on is bad advise. Fanuc batteries need to be changed with the power on and control up and running. (Can be in alarm or e-stop state) The batteries in these machines are likely dead, but better to find out BEFORE you change them is the way to go. If by chance any batteries are still good and you replace them without the power on, you've really just made the situation worse.

In short, don't fix it before it's broke, but be prepared to fix what is likely broke once you find out for sure.

If the owners can not give you a definitive answer as to the last replacement date of the batteries, (a year or less would be nice) be prepared to change them first time you turn on the control. That is if you're aiming to get somewhere on the path forward.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice.

So the situation is that I would be buying these machines as is where is. They have been sitting because the company that owned them went bankrupt and the storage company forgot about them. So, I would be getting a killer deal on actually 3 machines. But any information or starting them up before hand is not going to be an option. The good news is they are clean machines that can't have ridiculous hours on them because they are 2007 and have been sitting since 2015. But, if I can't get them back on line......... man that would make for not such a great deal.

I am good at figuring stuff out, but if the parameters are gone, and I can't get them, well they are paper weights for sure. I don't know if Hyundai would release the parameter back ups or not. They have to have them somewhere I would think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you looked in the magnetics cabinet doors for any paperwork or are there any manuals of any kind laying around inside the machines? Possible a dealer sticker somewhere? There may be a parameter printout hiding out. Punching them in one at a time would be a drag. Though if properly formatted, you could write them all to a .txt file and load them in one batch. I'm sure you can get parameters from the manufacturer or the original dealer who sold the machines. The good thing is, once you get one machine going, getting the other two should be a breeze.

Personally this whole thing doesn't scare me. If I was getting three nice machines for a steal I'd make it work come hell or high water. With the wealth of information on the internet, and with some smarts and determination, a person can fix about anything these days. I know I can.

Good luck. Kind of wish it was me who had this problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

i would try to power up on site to see if machines are booting up ,most important, a copy of similar machine parameters will can find with some digging.
    Also there is a possibility of humidity inside the electrical cabinet during this time,should check if there are some leads to that.
    The humidity can make the ROM and RAM get damaged and even you replace them the system files that must be installed again will be a pain in the ass,special the OPT file that has an unique signature and only FANUC can install that file and trust me is very expensive.
    So only boot up,make a quick sram back-up and system files and you are done.
    if is not booting and is holding on OPT file,let it go.