Fanuc O-TD - Does it rigid tap?

Thread: Fanuc O-TD - Does it rigid tap?

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Fanuc O-TD - Does it rigid tap?

Hi, guys!
    I'm struggling with an old Yang SL-12 from the 90's, fitted with a Fanuc O-TD. The darn thing is fun, but the operator's manual - clearly a poor translation from Japanese - is hard to digest and even misleading sometimes.
    The manual recommends the use of an M29 along with speed spindle for rigid taping with the G84 canned cycle, but the controller doesn't even react to the M29. The reaction is the same when I input a non existent M something there.
    Is anybody here familiar with the O-TD and managed to do rigid taping with it? Any material about the controller would be greatly appreciated too.
    I'm a novice in the trade, but I'm having lots of fun.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc O-TD - Does it rigid tap?

Just adding some extra information.

My program had lines similar to these:

M29 S550;
    G84 Z-0.4 F0.041667;

The G84 works and would probably do just fine with a floating tap holder. I tried the lines above with and without an M03 S550 before them.
    The spindle speed is constant and feeding is per revolution. The controller doesn't seem to support the "R" word in the G84 block, since it uses G98 and G99 for per minute and per revolution feed modes.
    A gentleman from Croatia suggested that some Fanuc controllers require the M29 to be in the G84 block. I'll try that tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fanuc out of the Box does NOT preform Rigid Tap. The machine tool Builder must implement it. Also, Rigid Tap is a "Paid" option from Fanuc. Again, the MTB would have bought that option from Fanuc when building the machine. Fanuc also says you have to have a "Fanuc" digital spindle amp to have it. M29 was typical but not carved in stone as Fanuc says you can change the M code with parameter 256. Also there are a handful of parameters that say how RT works (including G84).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Fanuc out of the Box does NOT preform Rigid Tap. The machine tool Builder must implement it. Also, Rigid Tap is a "Paid" option from Fanuc. Again, the MTB would have bought that option from Fanuc when building the machine. Fanuc also says you have to have a "Fanuc" digital spindle amp to have it. M29 was typical but not carved in stone as Fanuc says you can change the M code with parameter 256. Also there are a handful of parameters that say how RT works (including G84).
    Thank you for the reply, Sir.
    If rigid taping was optional back then, I can forget about it and get a floating tap holder. The machine doesn't even have a RS-232 port.

Downloads
    Uploads

Turn on PM and I can help you further