Need Help! Mazak H500

Thread: Mazak H500

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mazak H500

Hey guys, I have a Mazak H500 that has been acting a bit odd lately. A week or 2 ago it "lost" it's home 2 position. Gave it a quick look over but couldn't find anything wrong so I made an offset in the home 2 position parameter. It ran great for about 2 weeks. I came in this morning and it has jumped position again. Went back and checked the parameter and its the same. Tried to clean the Z axis limit switch in case it was sticking and causing the machine to grid shift. That didn't work either. It seems that every time it jumps it's about the pitch of the ballscrew (.200-.250) I ordered a new limit switch to try out but figured in the meantime I would ask here because I'm still a bit new to CNC maint. Thanks for any help you could give me. I also want to add that this H500 has a M32 control and I checked the travel of Z axis to the factory plaque, the soft limit travel is within .020 of the plaque's specified measurement so it seems home 1 is not moving, only home 2 position seems to be jumping

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mazak H500

You may have a faulty encoder or wiring, there is usually one reference pulse per revolution on a separate track that is used by the control, it is sensed after the homing switch is latched, it seems it may be missing that pulse from time to time. maybe it can be stripped so the scale can be cleaned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think this machine would use a linear scale or rotary scale? I will start digging into the books to see what I can find out, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdrangdo View Post
    You may have a faulty encoder or wiring, there is usually one reference pulse per revolution on a separate track that is used by the control, it is sensed after the homing switch is latched, it seems it may be missing that pulse from time to time. maybe it can be stripped so the scale can be cleaned.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some machines will use both. Linear scales do have reference marks but the fact that it sometimes misses a full turn suggests that the index mark is coming from the screw encoder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some machines will use both. Linear scales do have reference marks but the fact that it sometimes misses a full turn suggests that the index mark is coming from the screw encoder.
    Thanks, The more I read from you guys in here the more I learn and it's very much appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

i would check the coupling between the ballscrew and the motor for not slipping ,make a mark on the coupling and see if the mark stays same place or is moving.

Downloads
    Uploads

By coincidence today I came across an encoder that worked on one direction but not the other, turned out the coupling had broken.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke with another Tech. yesterday and he was saying the same thing. Either coupling or opt. encoder....will be checking it out today. Thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    i would check the coupling between the ballscrew and the motor for not slipping ,make a mark on the coupling and see if the mark stays same place or is moving.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The coupling from motor to ballscrew or encoder to motor?
    By coincidence today I came across an encoder that worked on one direction but not the other, turned out the coupling had broken.

Downloads
    Uploads

In this case it was between the motor and the encoder. It was the bellows type and it the two halves were just catching each other in one direction but slipping over in the other. So it was giving ambiguous readings that made it seem as if the dro reading was only moving in one direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see said the blind man, I just dug into it for a minute and it seems the coupling between the motor and ballscrew is ok so onto the opt encoder and it's coupling. Any of you guys have any words of wisdom when dealing with the opt encoders? I'm relatively new so still learning. Is there a way to clean them?
    In this case it was between the motor and the encoder. It was the bellows type and it the two halves were just catching each other in one direction but slipping over in the other. So it was giving ambiguous readings that made it seem as if the dro reading was only moving in one direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

""ok so both couplings seem very tight, the encoder is using what I assume to be a "spring" couping....it looks like corrugated aluminum that can stretch and contract. at this point I can only assume the encoder itself may be bad smh * face palm*""

Well guys... I took the optical encoder off , very gently blew it out with canned air and very gently cleaned the eye and reader film with a swap & de-natured alcohol. Everything seems to be back on track now, However I did mark both couplings with a paint pen so if it happens again I can check for coupling slippage. Thanks for all the help

Last edited by HVACturnedCNC; 05-17-2018 at 07:46 AM. Reason: problem solved