Solved Arduino Tape Drive Emulator for Fanuc 6 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arduino Tape Drive Emulator for Fanuc 6

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arduino Tape Drive Emulator for Fanuc 6

So I fixed Thurston's board. Which consisted of removing all of the chips, installing sockets, fixing two blown traces, and putting in new chips. By all appearances it works.

However this "working" lathe that he bought, had the blown BTR as well as the serial cable for it has the common/ground connected to pin 5 rather than pin 7. So I can't imagine how it was supposedly working...

I re-did the schematic (and corrected a slew of errors on my part) as well as created a connection cross reference. Enjoy!

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think this device can help a lot of people. I am using it for FANUC 6M. It works great.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DNC-FANUC-6...AAAOSwvLZazNyS

Downloads
    Uploads

what does this scheme do ..? Does cnc use a parallel port, if so, this scheme is a revolution

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marka_electronic View Post
    what does this scheme do ..? Does cnc use a parallel port, if so, this scheme is a revolution
    No, it uses a 50 pin SCSI connector. But that appears to have been the handiest connector available to them at the time. It certainly doesn't need anywhere near that many pins.

Looking at my schematic, it uses 17 pins out of the 50 pin connector.

I've seen the ones that come from Vietnam, and that really looks like the way to go. It cost me $150 in parts to repair the old one that I fixed, largely due to having to source obsolete chips and buying multiples of them. I also used machine pin sockets which makes for easy repair, and that added to the cost as well.

But I'd go with the one from Vietnam if I were you.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's great to see this thread with some activity! I actually just recorded a 5 min video for a shop owner who called me asking for information and it would be helpful to share here too. This is how I had hooked up my Arduino to my Fanuc 6M

I'm digging up my old info, but I hope this video helps anyone who wants to see a quick walk through of the electrical hookup.
    Attached is my Arduino code that I still use today. These Arduino's have been going daily for 5 years without errors.

Here are some notes:

Basic Overview Operation of the BTR we built:

At startup the Arduino opens a file called cnc.txt on the SD card
    It then wants to send the program to the Fanuc so it starts listening to the CTS (Clear To Send) wire
    When the CTS wire says it needs more data, the Arduino will set the 8 bit character wires Low or High according to the character table lookup for that character
    The Arduino then turns the Sprocket In Position wire "active" (can't remember if it's Low or High) for a short amount of time (allowing the Fanuc to read the 8 bits) and then turns the Sprocket In Position wire back off.
    This loops and continues until the file is completed.

It is coded for these features that you may want to ignore or remove.
    * The Arduino is always waiting for a new program to be loaded to it from a computer (so we don't have to remove the SD card every time we want a new program).....although I found this feature to be harder to use than just removing the SD card and renaming the file I want to run.

* There is a Telnet server started on the Arduino that outputs a copy of what the Arduino is sending to the machine so that I can remotely see if it's still drip feeding from anywhere on my network (cell app called Termius).

* However be aware that there is a small buffer of memory bits inside the Fanuc to buffer what the Arduino (BTR) is sending. So what you see on your remote viewer is actually a few lines ahead of where the machine physically is. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of when troubleshooting.

*At the end of the program, the Arduino reloads to the beginning of the cnc.txt file and starts waiting for the CTS signal again. This is for when you are running many parts in 1 day. The Arduino will always reload itself at the end of the file so you don't have to physically push the reset button on the Arduino.

The last update we did was to NOT send Comments to the Fanuc machine, but WILL still send it out the remote telnet sever. If the Arduino finds a comment in the code, it skips sending the comment to the machine, but still WILL send the comment out to the telnet server so I can see the comments remotely. Some of my programs have large comment headers or lots of notes.....and that was stalling the machine from running smoothly when it's processing all the comments that don't actually move the machine

Attached Files Attached Files

????????????, ????? ?????? ?????? ?????????? ?? ????? ??????????, ?????????? ?????????? ????? ??????????? ? Arduino. ?? ????? ?? ??? ?????. ????? ????? ???????? ??????????, ??? ?????????? ???????? ????????? ? ?????? ?? ?????? Fanuc 6m, ??? ?? ????????? ??????. ???????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123