Pulse Generator Quit Working

Thread: Pulse Generator Quit Working

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pulse Generator Quit Working

I am brand new to Fanuc machines and was setting tool offsets today and my hand wheel/pulse generator quit working. I am really hoping I just fat fingered a button that disabled it but I don't think I did. Unfortunately, I am not completely sure of the chain of events that lead up to the point it was no longer working.

The machine is a '06 Hardinge Talent 6/45 SV (what the machine says) or SV-150 (according to the manual and actual machine specs). It has the Fanuc 0i-TC control. Is there something I could have pressed to disable it or is it time to call a tech?

Edit: everything else seems to work fine. In jog mode, the jog keys work as they should.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by 300sniper; 10-26-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pulse Generator Quit Working

Would you happen to have another fanuc MPG that you could connect to your machine, I'd say that would be a quicker way to get your answer straight away.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not have another one to try.

A little bit of trouble shooting last night makes me believe the pulse generator is doing what it should.

0v to 5v is exactly 5.00v
    0v to HA and 0v to HB are .03v then jump when the knob is turned.

The cable appears to be intact the whole way and is securely attached at both ends.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some machines want to be Jogged when tool setting.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been working fine for the couple months I've had the machine. I just finished touching off 2 tools and had half of the third when it quit working yesterday morning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a button on the setter is stuck in?

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine has no tool setter. I was touching them off manually. I am wondering if I hit a button and the machine thinks it is using a tool setter, disabling the MPG. I honestly don't know if that's a possibility or not though.

Downloads
    Uploads

IIRC you can see it in the ladder if you have access to it.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the status line above the soft key selections to confirm it displays ‘HND’. This indicates the CNC’s current mode. If the wrong mode is displayed, confirm the PMC command addresses ( G43.3=1, G43.2=0, and G43.0=0 ) are in the correct state. Then go to the position page and verify that you are not moving in very small increments. Verify you have an axis selected
    G18.0 =1 and G18.1 =0 X axis,
    G18.0 =0 and G18.1 = 1 Z axis
    Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the PMC signals screen last night while changing the x-y switch we noticed something funny in the G18 column. When I first pulled up the screen, there was a 1 in both the G18-0 and G18-1 columns. When I'd switch the x-y switch, I noticed at first only one of the columns changed from a 1 to a 0. Then it was acting inconsistent. Sometimes changing the switch would do nothing, sometimes they were both 0 sometimes they'd both be back to 1. Then all the sudden, switching the x-y switch consistently changed one column to a 0 and the other to a 1 and vice versa when the switch changed. At that point I got my pulse generator back. As of now, it has worked flawlessly. I don't know if the x-y selector switch is flakey or if there's a gremlin hiding in there waiting until I need the machine most.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, lost MPG control again just now while I was touching off a new tool.

I'm no tech, but I'm leaning toward the XZ switch, especially since it would be the easiest thing to change. Right now there is a "1" in both the 0 and 1 columns under the g18 line. When I have control with the MPG, one column is a 0 and the other is a 1 and they swap when the XZ switch is changed. I hate swapping out parts to trouble shoot but I am not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, scrolling down to the X lines in the PMC status I didn't see any changes while switching the XZ switch the first time scrolling through. On the way back up, I noticed the X2 line in the 0 and 1 columns swapping between 1 and 0 like the G18 line and all be damned, I had control of the MPG again. I think I' going to order a new XZ switch tomorrow just to eliminate that as a possibility. To me, the switch seems highly suspect but again, this tech stuff is pretty foreign to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could disconnect the switch, most likely three wires, one would be power and the others X & Z.
    If you solder the power and one of the others it should show a consistent 1 without changing.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

The next time this happens and you get G18.0 and G18.1 both on, double-check X2.0 and X2.1 to make sure they are both on also - then you'll know positively that it's either the switch, cable, or card shorting one to the other. I would also search the G coils in the ladder to see what else could possibly cause this too, but I suspect the axis selector switch.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can check the switch with a multimeter set to continuity. put one probe on the common pin and one on one of the selection pins. turn the switch and the meter should beep when the 2 contacts touch. change the probe to the other contact and re-test. if it beeps its working. no beep means its suspect so change it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    IIRC you can see it in the ladder if you have access to it.
    Al.
    Hey al I have a mpg I am wanting to add to my machi e have u ever wired one directly to the 2nd printer port with out using a c22 board ? If so could u give me some help I'm stuck I dont know where to get my 5v from

Downloads
    Uploads

I have only used them in conjunction with industrial machines, Fanuc, Mitsubishi etc.
    Al.

Albert E.