Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC

First of all, i don't know am i using correct cable.
    I made one by myself like this:

9 PIN 25 PIN
    1 ---------------------1
    2----------------------2
    3----------------------3
    4----------------------4-5
    5----------------------7
    6-8-20

Is this OK?

I use CIMCO software, and i don't know if i have put in correct parameters.
    I attached capture of dnc setup in cimco.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC-cimco-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Your cable will work, but your pin #4 on the 9-pin PC side only needs to be connected to pin 5 on the Fanuc side. Pin 4 on the PC side is an output (DTR) and pin 4 on the Fanuc side is also an output. Connecting two outputs together like this can give unpredictable results. Also, pin 1 on the PC side is an input (DCD), and you've got it tied to the shield ground on the Fanuc (pin 1) which is not doing anything.

Connect pin 4 on the PC side to pin 5 on the Fanuc (don't use pin 4 on the Fanuc)
    Disconnect the wire from pin 1 on the PC to pin 1 on the Fanuc
    If there is a shield in your cable (I hope so), tie it to pin 1 on the Fanuc side only.

There are many other cable layouts that will work also. The important things are:

Data output pin on PC is tied to data input pin on Fanuc (pin 3 - pin 3)
    Data input pin on PC is tied to data output pin on Fanuc (pin 2 - pin 2)
    Signal ground on PC is tied to signal ground on Fanuc (pin 5 - pin 7)
    Some output (pin 4 or 7 on PC or pin 4 on Fanuc) is tied to CTS signal on Fanuc (5)
    Some output (pin 4 or 7 on PC or pin 20 on Fanuc) is tied to pins 6 and 8 on Fanuc
    Cable shield is grounded (pin 1 on Fanuc, or to connector shell)

We do it like this:

9 pin ---- 25 pin
    2 --------- 2
    3 --------- 3
    5 --------- 7
    7 --------- 5
    pins 6, 8, and 20 jumpered together on Fanuc side only
    pin 1 on Fanuc tied to cable shield.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, thanx very much, i'll try it tomorow.
    One more question, cable shield is tied just to 25 pin conector pin no. 1?

And what about setup in pc software (cimco edit)?

Baud rate?
    Stop bits?
    Data bits?
    Parity?
    Flow control?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, the cable shield is only tied to pin 1 on the Fanuc side. There is no shield ground pin on the PC 9-pin plug.

To get the baudrate and stop-bits setting of your Fanuc, first look at the bit on the first parameter page marked "I/O". If the I/O bit is a zero, then:

look at parameter 002. If the bit on the far RIGHT is a "1" then your Fanuc is set for 2 stop-bits. If that bit is a "0", then your Fanuc is set to 1 stop-bit.
    Also look at parameter 552. If that parameter is "9" then you're set to 2400 baud. If it's "10", then you're set to 4800 baud. If it's "11", then your set for 9600 baud.

If the I/O bit is set to "1", then look at parameters 012 and 553 instead of 002 and 552 for the baudrate/stop bits information.

A typical Fanuc 0 control would be set like so:
    I/O bit: 0
    002: 0 x x x x x x 1 (the bits marked "x" are for something else)
    552: 10

This combination is for 4800 baud and 2 stop-bits. It really doesn't matter what the baudrate/stop bits are set to, just so you match the settings on the PC side.

Funny, we get a lot of people who buy Cimco and Cadem software calling us for help. Must be they aren't very available for support calls like yours. They're our competitors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oops. Almost forgot:
    Set your DNC software to use 7 data bits, Even parity, and Xon/Xoff flow control.

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI (see attached) - Here is some info on what each pin is used for.

Enjoy,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC-rs232signals-pdf  
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fritz
    Funny, we get a lot of people who buy Cimco and Cadem software calling us for help. Must be they aren't very available for support calls like yours. They're our competitors.
    Cimco is actually bundled with Mastercam but I am not sure if they support it, which is probably why they seek help elsewhere. I don't know why people have problems with Cadem software though....you can download the dnc parameters for the software from their website.

regards, Oz

Downloads
    Uploads

Oz: Our PC-DNC software is bundled with some CAD/CAM systems too, but we support it for free. Part of the problem is that Cimco and Cadem are both overseas companies, and they charge for support. We don't charge for support, so we get a calls from people who don't want to get support from Bangalore India. That's really OK with us. We sell a lot of software that way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be curious to know from padobranac if he was able to get the macine working.
    We have a what I think is Fanuc OM control on a Lagun machine. I will be trying to do the same thing next week. We also mave our own cable, but I do not have it with me to check it for now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanx to all.
    I made new cable like Dan Fritz described and it is working.
    Thanks to Dan Fritz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc OM Ethernet cable pin out / connection

We bought a couple of Cininnatis with Fanuc om controllers. I would like to try to hook them into our existing network. Can these controller be given an IP address, so i can send programs ftp, or how does any body send programs to these contollers?

Any help is greatly appericated.
    Darrell

Downloads
    Uploads

Porknar:

The Fanuc 0M never had an Ethernet port, but the "i" controls (16i, 18i and 21i) do. The best solution for the OM (A, B, and C models) is to use an RS232 hookup of some sort. We like to install an Ethernet Serial Device Server (SDS) like the one made by Quatech Corporation.

The Quatech SSE100-D device server is mounted on or inside the CNC cabinet, and powered off the CNC's internal 100 VAC or 5 VDC power supply. The SDS is then given an IP address on your network and connected to your network switch with a CAT5 cable. The device then lets you map a serial COM port to any PC on your network, and you connect the device to your CNC with a short 9-25 null MODEM cable.

You can, of course, run a long RS232 cable, but the Ethernet device gives you effective isolation from ground-loops (thunderstorm damage to your serial ports), and also lets you use less expensive CAT5 cable.

Also, if you ever replace that Fanuc 0M control with an newer "i" model, you can just remove the SDS and plug the CAT5 cable directly into the control.

We do a lot of RS232, Ethernet, and FTP data server connections with our PC-DNC Plus communications systems. For more info, visit our website www.sub-soft.com or our West coast distributor's website www.rym.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dan,

Thank you for the info, I will talk about your software with management. Another question. I have a Fanuc 18m with a data server. I am having a hard time connecting my pc to it. The data server has a Black Box with a cat5 attached to it. I have connected it with a crossover cable to my PC. When I ping the data server (which I have set the IP address as 192.168.1.240 I do not get a response. Any ideas on how to get these talking?

Darrell

Downloads
    Uploads

Darrell,

I'm not sure what you mean by "black box". The Fanuc with the data server (Ethernet) port should either be connected directly to your PC with a crossover cable, or both the Fanuc and the PC should be connected to a network switch with straight cables. There shouldn't be any black box in between unless it's an Ethernet switch or hub.

Is your PC also connected to a network? If not, then you can just set a filxed IP address in the PC by clicking Start/Settings/Network connections, then click "Local area connection, then Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties again. Click the button "Use the following IP address", then set the address you want to use for your PC, and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

In the Fanuc, the "Data Server" address is the address of the PC (the Fanuc is a Data Server CLIENT, not a server). The address you set in the Fanuc for the data server and subnet mask in the Fanuc should be the same as in the PC.

Your PC must then have some Data Server software installed. The data server software responds to file and directory requests from the Fanuc. You can use Windows XP as a data server by turning on the "IIS" option. Go to the Control Panel and open the "Add/Remove Programs" screen. Select "Add or remove Windows components", then check the item "Internet Information Services (IIS)". This option will include the Data Server.

This should get you closer ..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the black box is a converter from what looks like a 25 pin connector to a cat5.

My pc is connected to a network via a usb wireless antenna. It also has an onboard nic and I also added another nic because a service tech told the on board nic would not communicate.

So let me understand this, the data server client and the pc should have the exact same ip address?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you have an Ethernet-to-RS232 device of some kind. Where does this 25-pin cable go?

The Fanuc with the Data Server option has an RJ45 connector for a CAT5 cable already. No converter boxes are necessary. Is this box from "Black Box Corporation" ? If so, what's the BB part number so I can look it up.

You can use a second Network Interface Card (NIC) in your PC if you want. Just be sure you select the right one when you change the address.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the bb must be quite old because I could not find it on there web site. The bb is the converter ether to rs232 or 25 pin.

Do the PC and the Data server have to have the ip address?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello!
    I've been reading the posts because i have a similar problem.
    I'm doing a school work and is basically reviving a fanuc 0M machine by connecting it to a PC via Rs232. My objective is simply to upload or download programs to the fanuc.
    After reading the post i double checked my cable that i made a few days ago ( because there was none ) based on the machine's manual.
    I took a picture of the manual but it was a bit too artistic so i made a connection diagram. The connecting pins have nothing to do with the suggested by Dan Fritz and the manual is from 1986!

I can't receive anything from the machine so i'm thinking could it be the cable?
    From the pdf i saw that i'm connecting 2-3 and 3-2 witch doesn't seem logic.. but its the connection diagram...
    Can the cable described work?

for the port configuration:
    "first parameter page marked "I/O"." -> Need a little help here also. Where is the first parameter page?

Thanks for all the help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conecting Fanuc-OM to PC-cabo-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The cable diagram you posted is for a 9-to-25 adapter, but it won't do for connecting a PC to your Fanuc. This cable is for connecting a MODEM to your PC, and a MODEM is wired backwards (the pins are already crossed inside a MODEM). When connecting a PC to a Fanuc, use this diagram:

25-pin male (CNC side) ---- 9 pin female PC side)
    pin 1 ------------- cable shield
    pin 2 -------------------------------- pin 2
    pin 3 -------------------------------- pin 3
    pin 5 -------------------------------- pin 7
    pin 7 -------------------------------- pin 5
    pin 6 ----
    pin 8 ---- <-- jumper these three pins together (CNC side only)
    pin 20 ---

You may also find a computer store with a "9-to-25 NUL MODEM" cable. A NUL MODEM is a cable with the data pins crossed, which works OK with a Fanuc also. Just don't buy a MODEM cable, that's different.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First of all, Thanks!
    I'm clearly new to this and i'm still in the learning curve...

Any help on the first "parameter page marked "I/O"" that you mention in a previous post? Where should i look for it?

In another question, i have the original 5" 1/4 floppy's with the software but not the drive to read it. While looking online for a equivalent i found this
    http://www.denford.ltd.uk/index.php?...d=64&Itemid=52
    the fanucm.zip which is free and since i have the original software... At this stage i can't even tell if its the correct one. Any recommendations on the software? I've read the sticky post regarding the "GE Fanuc & FANUC proprietary posts" so if i'm trespassing any line please advise.

Thanks again for answers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast