Need Help! 087 alarm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 087 alarm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 087 alarm

Came in this morning after severe lightning here last night and now i am getting an 087 alarm. We have a bad electrical smell in the shop but not around the cnc itself.

Acorrding to the fanuc OM manual a 087 alarm is" Buffer Overflow" and consisits of " When entering data in the memory by using Reader/Puncher interface though the read terminate command is specified, input is not interrupted after 10 characters read. I/O unit or P.C.B is defective."

Is this as bad as it sounds? It will run the program for a bit, sometimes for one entire tool and sometimes it only runs for a few seconds before it alarms out.

Also the machine was powered down last night and shut off at the breaker on the wall so i am not exactly sure this was caused by lightning.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's an intermittent fault and there is a smell of "electric" in the air, the first thing I would check is the logic power supply voltages. (Also check for ac ripple). If a cap has gone bad, (leaked) it could cause very strange alarms.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lower the baud rate at both sides- the problem may be in the computer.
    Also, the 75188/751899 communication chips on the display board may be damaged. You can get these at Digikey.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Timatnorthline View Post
    If it's an intermittent fault and there is a smell of "electric" in the air, the first thing I would check is the logic power supply voltages. (Also check for ac ripple). If a cap has gone bad, (leaked) it could cause very strange alarms.
    i have found out that it was a machine close to the cnc that has the burnt smell...it got the surge as the breaker wasnt off..

as far as ac ripple and a cap going bad can you simplify that a bit as i am not the best with electrical terminoligy...

I can say we checked the supply from the transformer to the machine and we are reading 210V and the machine is calling for 220V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a simmilar problem a few years ago. The machine had been working fine for years at 9600 then suddenly i had to reset it to 4800 to get it to accept data.
    If you are feeding it with a PC and DNC, Id check the PC. Buffer overflow in my experience is a problem with comminucations thru the RS323 and the CNC controller. Basicly it means that either the PC is sending info too fast to the controller or the controller cant process it fast enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy111 View Post
    I had a simmilar problem a few years ago. The machine had been working fine for years at 9600 then suddenly i had to reset it to 4800 to get it to accept data.
    If you are feeding it with a PC and DNC, Id check the PC. Buffer overflow in my experience is a problem with comminucations thru the RS323 and the CNC controller. Basicly it means that either the PC is sending info too fast to the controller or the controller cant process it fast enough.
    we tried the fifo control buffer on the computer...will try to change the baud rate..its at 4800 now...

Downloads
    Uploads

4800 usually works well on the FS6; just try 2400.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    4800 usually works well on the FS6; just try 2400.
    can someone refresh me on how to change the parameter on the machine to switch from 4800 to 2400 baud? i used to know but i cant remember....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parameter 0103. Change it to 9 for 2400. 10 for 4800 and 11 for 9600
    It should come up in a few screens after you go to PWE then page down.

That was for 0i-m

Om I think it is parameter 0552

Downloads
    Uploads

parameter write enable (PWE) switch to ON (top of motherboard)
    select MDI mode , maybe E-STOP too. Press P and
    parameter 310 for i/o device 1: set bit 0 to 0 (leave other bits unchanged)
    parameter 311 for i/o device 2: set bit 0 to 0 (leave other bits unchanged)
    parameter 312 for i/o device 3: set bit 0 to 0 (leave other bits unchanged)
    parameter 313 for i/o device 4: set bit 0 to 0 (leave other bits unchanged)
    turn PWE off

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy111 View Post
    Parameter 0103. Change it to 9 for 2400. 10 for 4800 and 11 for 9600
    It should come up in a few screens after you go to PWE then page down.

That was for 0i-m

Om I think it is parameter 0552
    Yes..it is 552 on the OM and i think 553 if it is set on a different port.. But i changed one and or both to 9 , then changed the baud rate on my DNC... But all i could get was a 128 alarm which is saying " illegal macro sequence number" " The sequence number specified in the branch command was not 0 to 9999 or it cannot be searched. Modify the program."

If i switch it back i get the same 087 alarm... and i have ran the program a dozen times befor this.. It starts out
    %
    O0

which should be fine..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

also, has anyone ever heard of a high frequency welder affecting a CNC? I have a welder about 50 ft away and was told it can mess up a CNC. Considering the amount of trouble i have had with this machine it is something i want to find out about...

Downloads
    Uploads

My error-was responding to a different thread.
    welders can affect operation, especially if you have grounding/shielding issues.
    Have you tried a different computer?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

welders can affect operation, especially if you have grounding/shielding issues.
    I didnt think you were responding to me..

No i never tried a different computer yet.. Friday is a bad day to try stuff with all the book keeping and stuff but i will try another laptop in a bit...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried a different computer and it was the same problem. It alarms out instantly. So it seems if it was somehow lightning. Even with the main breaker off and the machine powered down could it have still got to the machine somehow? Or is this just a random thing i am crediting to lightning?

And what will i need to do to fix it....?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    I have tried a different computer and it was the same problem. It alarms out instantly. So it seems if it was somehow lightning. Even with the main breaker off and the machine powered down could it have still got to the machine somehow? Or is this just a random thing i am crediting to lightning?

And what will i need to do to fix it....?
    Lightning is just a big EMP pulse. It can fry without touching just by inducing current over the wiring.
    Can you run stored programs? You mioght just have a Rs232 issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

few things are impossible, but it seems likely that you may have had an induced lightning surge on the RS233 wiring, which then zapped the chip(s) on the memory board. If you tell me the memory board part no, I can exchange it, repair or tell you which components to replace.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

few things are impossible, but it seems likely that you may have had an induced lightning surge on the RS233 wiring, which then zapped the chip(s) on the memory board. If you tell me the memory board part no, I can exchange it, repair or tell you which components to replace.
    Thats exactly what Fanuc told me. They also gave me a price. I think i have a core credit with them from before for over half the price of a new board. But if you want to email me at metalworks@eastlink.ca we can talk.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can anyone walk me through backing up the parameters on this machine as i am taking out the memory board and dont want to make a mistake..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i do have a procedure from fanuc for this but it isnt overly clear to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast