Downloads
    Uploads

Reassembly time.
    The Belleville spring washer dimensions are:
    OD - 1.235"
    ID - .647"
    Thickness - .077"
    Height - .110"
    You can get them at McMaster or MSC. Or you can order the kit with 45 washers and anti-seize at cncpros.net.
    HDW-0195 is the factory set. $90.00
    I got the cheaper ($55.00) and more popular HDW-0195A aftermarket washers.

The floater ring is available from cncpros for $29.00
    Part number is DRB-0004

I ordered online on a Wednesday after hours and hadn't received the order by Monday. They never got my order and had no record, even though I could check it online. If you don't get a confirmation pretty quick, call them.

Everything I read about reinstallation of the floater made it sound very difficult, so I made a tool.

Dimensions:
    5" long
    1.19 diameter with .600" flat along the length of the 1.19 diameter.
    The end that goes inside the floater is 1.000" diameter .790" long. There is a groove that lines up with the bearings that is .290 wide at the 1.000 diameter and .185 wide at .800 diameter. It is a V-shaped groove with 45 degree chamfers to help ramp the bearings outward. The groove is .150-.440 from the end.

Last edited by Fadal Error; 01-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slide the floater onto the tool with the chamfered counterbored end facing down. Pack the bearings with grease and push them through the holes in the floater ring. They should push into the groove in the tool so they are flush with the OD of the floater.

Push the tool and floater up into the spindle. Hold the floater in place with a small 6" ruler lined up with the flat in the tool and pull the tool out. The bearings will push outward into the groove. It was so easy this way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now load the drawbar with its eight 3/16" ball bearings packed with grease. Cnc Pros tech support recommended using a 3/8" ratchet extension to keep the balls in place.

Insert drawbar

Put something on the table to push against during spring compression.

Lower the Z axis until the ratchet extension is solid against your block.

Install the washers with anti-seize in the same arrangement as the old ones. I had 42 washers with each one opposing the adjacent one. The bottom washer had the dome facing up, dish down. The top washer was dish up. Every spindle version is different. The chart I got from Cnc Pros did not match the Fadal pdf parts diagram that I had. Guess who I trusted.

Replace the spider retainer, four ball bearings and spider. Then compress. It will be quite a chore to get enough compression to get the half-moon retainers back on. I inserted them with tweezers. I think I used the Z axis to help compress. Don't tell anybody. I honestly don't know if it helped. It's really anti-climactic when you back the gear puller off and the retainers take the load, but when you think about those little retainers taking a load that was so hard to compress, you have to offer up some respect.

You are home free. Reinstall the piston assembly. Do a tool change and smile. Reinstall the sheet metal and go celebrate. Then come back and make some money.

Oh, yeah. That ratchet extension will not come out until you release it with the Tool In/Out button.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Fadal Drawbar drawings

Attached are some drawings of various Fadal draw bars. This might help visualize some of the above pictures. These were faxed to me by a very helpful fellow at kmac parts.

Thought it might be helpful for others who, like me, found this great thread because they are about to do the same procedure.

My machine is pre-1989, so the first drawing is like my drawbar. Most folks probably have the drawbar on the second page, with the locking spider as in the pictures in this thread.

Cheers,

-Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belleville spring washer replacement-fadal-drawbar-150dpi-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

pjensen,
    That print really help. I made the pilot tool and used it with my harmonic balancer puller. It came apart really easy. Now I can't get the floater out. I managed to get 1 ball out, but cant get the other one out. It only wants to come out about a fifth of the way. A magnet will not pull it. Anyone have any ideas? HELP!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try magnetizing a bent piece of steel wire like a coat hanger or something? Maybe try that in conjunction with pushing from behind with some shim stock.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got it! I bent the tip of a screwdriver, placed the bent tip on top of the floater. Put a visegrip on the screwdrive and beat down on it. It only took one blow, and it poped right out. At first, I thought I broke the tool, but then the floater slid down it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good job! I highly suggest that you make the floater insertion tool to reinstall. I don't know how hard it must be without the tool I made.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Ok, this might be an obvious question, but can somebody explain what the floater does. I understand the top of the drawbar, with the spring washers and such, but I don't know how the bottom works and how it actually grips the tool.

As far as I see, the drawbar pulls up, and the ball bearings get pushed out under the tool flange. Where does the floater fit in this picture?

I ask because, after changing out the spring washers, I found an steel ring on my table and I don't know where it came from... if it fell out of the drawbar assembly, it doesn't seem like it was very necessary (everything is working fine so far...). I'm wondering if I need to take everything apart to put it back, and I don't know where "back" is...

My machine is very old (1985) and predates all the drawings and pictures thus far. It has a much simpler drawbar assembly than anything pictured here.

Thanks,

-Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The floater is what the ball bearings in the end of the drawbar ride on. As the drawbar pulls up, the floater forces the ball bearings inward to clamp the retention knob. The floater also uses two balls that are identical to the ones
    in the drawbar to hold itself in.

Mniadna, you're lucky. Had one floater that was mangled, had to grind it out, many hours laying on my back on the table with a carbide burr, not fun.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lb,
    Believe me... I was getting ready to introduce Mr. Fadal to Mr. Die Grinder...

Fadal Error,
    I guess I will have to make your tool. Mine will have to be aluminum. I don't think I have any plastic lying around here that large.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For all I know, there may be different sizes of floaters, so make sure to match your tool dimensions to your floater. I am learning that there is a lot of variation between years and models.

I don't know where you are located, but in the off chance that you are anywhere near Santa Cruz, you can borrow my tool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast