Need Help! Y axis Distance traveled error

Thread: Y axis Distance traveled error

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Y axis Distance traveled error

Hi I am having a problem with our 3016 VMC we recently had a resolver fail and got a new one installed, on the Y axis machine has run since error free, but not been called on to do any precision work, while using the MP12 probe as an ersatz CMM have come across the fact that the Y axis seems to be reading a higher distance traveled than was actually moved, have double and triple checked ie with a clock and slips and against both X and Z axis up to swapping X and Y axis control cards and independently amplifiers, error stays consistent and locked to Y axis so I'm thinking problem is either resolver based or physical, have checked resolver for movement and seems secure and also tried moving bed on ways/gibs and seems secure, error is on the order of 0.8mm across whole Y travel and lowered on smaller moves, backlash has been checked and seems ok on the approx 0.5mm moves used to adjust, error is positive ie 100mm slip measures 100.8XXmm in either Y+ or Y-, I'm pretty puzzled and any help or pointers would be most appreciated thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRed10 View Post
    Hi I am having a problem with our 3016 VMC we recently had a resolver fail and got a new one installed, on the Y axis machine has run since error free, but not been called on to do any precision work, while using the MP12 probe as an ersatz CMM have come across the fact that the Y axis seems to be reading a higher distance traveled than was actually moved, have double and triple checked ie with a clock and slips and against both X and Z axis up to swapping X and Y axis control cards and independently amplifiers, error stays consistent and locked to Y axis so I'm thinking problem is either resolver based or physical, have checked resolver for movement and seems secure and also tried moving bed on ways/gibs and seems secure, error is on the order of 0.8mm across whole Y travel and lowered on smaller moves, backlash has been checked and seems ok on the approx 0.5mm moves used to adjust, error is positive ie 100mm slip measures 100.8XXmm in either Y+ or Y-, I'm pretty puzzled and any help or pointers would be most appreciated thanks in advance.
    A long explanation but I fear my reply will be equally convoluted.

If you have a traditional resolver, it is an analogue device. For example, having two sine waves at 90° phase shift. The length of the wave zero to zero could be 2mm and the distance between chopped into 1000 pulses giving an resolution accuracy of 2mu per pulse.

If your sine wave isn't calibrated to exactly 2mm, then the pulses could be longer or shorter than 2mu.
    You would then have a cumulative error increasing the further you drive the axis.

Some resolvers can be calibrated with an inbuilt potentiometer, enabling the wave length to be adjusted, or possibly by axis parameters.

You could check the error by driving a known distance ie 20mm and check with a dial test indicator, repeating several times.

Check if your resolver is adjustable and tweak until 20mm repeats on screen and on the indicator.

Or try another resolver ????

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Y axis Distance traveled error

...have you checked the Survey values..? Type SV to access
    https://flintmachine.com/images/uplo...ey_Command.pdf