1998 Fadal 2016L - Good First CNC?

Thread: 1998 Fadal 2016L - Good First CNC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1998 Fadal 2016L - Good First CNC?

I'm just learning CNC/CAM after being a CAD designer for 10 years. I think it's finally time to turn my designs into $$. I'm looking for a solid CNC to start out on. I've heard a lot about Tormach and Haas, but recently someone recommended an older Fadal.
    I'm looking for some insight into this brand I've barely heard of - specifically a 1998 Fadal 2016L I found. What are the pros/cons? Any accuracy/resolution/precision issues? What should I look out for when buying?

I like the 2016L footprint size for my garage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mmbingo View Post
    I'm just learning CNC/CAM after being a CAD designer for 10 years. I think it's finally time to turn my designs into $$. I'm looking for a solid CNC to start out on. I've heard a lot about Tormach and Haas, but recently someone recommended an older Fadal.
    I'm looking for some insight into this brand I've barely heard of - specifically a 1998 Fadal 2016L I found. What are the pros/cons? Any accuracy/resolution/precision issues? What should I look out for when buying?

I like the 2016L footprint size for my garage.
    Forget Fadal forever unless you don't value your money! Go for Japanese cnc!

Fadal has a simple control to learn, but it is pure cancer!!! The service requires a lot of maintenance

When you work with Fadal, say goodbye precision forever!(: (:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1998 Fadal 2016L - Good First CNC?

I am no expert but what I can say is, I bought a FADAL VMC15XT for at the time was a good price. The machine was used up and rebuilt the whole machine from weldment up. I am very pleased with the accuracy and have .0001 full travel in the X and same in the Y axis. I used NSK roller rails and trashed the NSK ball rails. Go buy a Japanese CNC machine and have a spindle go bad and have to replace it. You will spend over $10,000 for a spindle vs $3200 for a brand new FADAL spindle! If you have deep pockets then sure go for that Japanese machine. For a machine like the FADAL 2216L for your garage, you can't beat it. Inspect the rails, computer boards, spindle etc., don't buy any machine without a detailed inspection. Make money with the FADAL then upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1998 Fadal 2016L - Good First CNC?

Go for it. They are cheap, easy to fix and maintain, and despite MH accurate. The 2016 are on linear rails so there are not the same issues you will have with older box ways. You will have no problems finding parts next day or support to get them up and running. Having had old Japanese machines good luck finding parts, support, post processors. If you don't want it send me the info...