Problem Fadal 4020 turret/tool changer problem (random spinning)

Thread: Fadal 4020 turret/tool changer problem (random spinning)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal 4020 turret/tool changer problem (random spinning)

Hello, cnc friends!

It's been a while since I've done CNC milling, but I am back at it. Worked on exactly this device years ago, later on left that workshop, started our own company and finally we bought a CNC mill. Funny story - bought the exact one that I was working on years ago.

Problem is, that now when turning on CNC (switching the main switch on and then pressing "power on" button), turret starts spinning for about 2 full rounds and more, pretty damn fast and scary. Did not pay much of attention to that at the start, but then I aligned everything for CS and started to remember all of the necessary stuff to do. Tried switching tools and the fun part begun:

Firstly, rotating turret it rotates slightly too much and therefore is off after few tool positions
    Secondly, when I tried rotating it back, it suddenly started spinning really fast for more circles and basically grinded into the main spindle (not fun at all)

After all, restarted everything and started taking apart covers of tool changer. Magnetic sensor works well and beeps whenever it's in contact with rotating piece.
    At some point turret turns well for precise one turn, but at some not. And even worse, it just starts spinning rapidly at any random point when I try to rotate the turret CW or CCW.

Sorry if it's not completely clear, but I just cannot find what could be wrong. Sensor "looks" like working. Wiring looks fine, fuses are okay and there are no errors on screen shown when this happens.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by karlisozolins; 09-27-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal 4020 turret/tool changer problem (random spinning)

...Servo or Geneva type?
    If, its Servo double check SETP for TC type. Next I would suspect the Encoder.

https://itscnc.com/pub/media/documen...%20Changer.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for answering.

It's Geneva type.
    This morning on start up it automatically gives out "ATC TURRET FAILURE" error and spins turret really fast for several rounds clockwise, no matter do I press "turret CW" or "turret CCW" button.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by karlisozolins View Post
    Thanks for answering.

It's Geneva type.
    This morning on start up it automatically gives out "ATC TURRET FAILURE" error and spins turret really fast for several rounds clockwise, no matter do I press "turret CW" or "turret CCW" button.
    Sorry, just realised that I messed up. It's Servo, not Geneva.
    It has "1" value at TC, everything correct there. Even did a "zero memory" procedure while I'm at it, since it asked for it everytime I started it up.

The chart sends me to following line:
    CHECK FUSES F5 & F6 & CB2
    AND RELAYS K5, K33,
    K11, & K12 ON 1100-2.
    K12 MUST BE RATED FOR
    3 AMP OUTPUT (BLACK).

And after that - check wiring. Everything written above is already done, so I'm running out of options.
    We even tried hooking up turret straight to the back of machine (to test that there are no wiring issues) and still had the same faults.

Right now there is no ATC TURRET FAILURE, turret turns correctly CW and CCW, but CCW makes it go around untill I stop it with emergency stop.
    Weird stuff going on

Downloads
    Uploads

...looking at the diagram of ATC Servo parts List (page18-19) (item 55) Proxswitch ELE-0145 that maybe has Chips/misaligned or is not working correctly.
    https://flintmachine.com/images/uplo...s/VMC_4020.pdf

https://www.kmac-parts.com/product/h...2064-new-part/

PowerOFF machine and do an inspection loose parts loose wires, cut wires etc etc. The Gear box looks like this where the Sensor is at
    https://www.cncpros.com/index.php/atc-0016.html
    ... I would replace all mechanical Relays that are involved with the TC. They do fail at some point. Cycles and age take their toll. Also, there are 4 Rocker Switches on the AMP module you might try moving them ON-OFF a few times. Switches and Plugs are always the first place to check.

If, that doesnt fix the problem your options are little pricey that Amp Module is $2000
    https://itscnc.com/pcb-0108r.html

Let us know how it goes happy hunting,
    DJ

Last edited by machinehop5; 09-28-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Hey mate

Have you grounded the machine properly?

Reason I ask is that when I first got my machine, I did not. it came with a 20a plug on it and it fit into my wall socket - great news, lets get started. Everything would work sometimes, other times crazy **** would happen. Almost took my hand when I pressed 'tool in/out' and the spindle ramped to 7500k instead.

The poor grounding caused a lot of problems with the ATC as well. Mine was geneva wheel, but it was more to do with phantom signals being generated and acted on by the control. The turret would rotate multiple times, it wouldnt register a cw/ccw change, the drawbar solenoid would randomly sputter. I noticed after a while it was happening during the day, especially on sunny days - I think my solar system inverter was causing electrical noise issues. It never happened when it was overcast or when I was midnight machining, and drove me mad until I read the fadal instalation manual. It says something like 'poor earthing will cause many faults'.

10mm2 earth cable run uninterrupted directly from the VMC earthing buss in the back cabinet to the earthing buss in your electrical supply board. This fixed all my issues. Might not fix yours but I thought it was worth asking the question.

Cheers, Rowdy