Hello All,

today after much consideration I purchased a 3020 vmc with Siemens Controller MFG in 2000.

Machine looks great! I was looking at a few but this one stood out, a very close friend of mine who passed favored Fadals.
He loved his machine and even more loved the support when he ran into issues.

The previous owner has been using it as a back up for light machining. Judging by the chips and lack of paint wear in the machine it would seem to be the case.
This machine looked to be very clean compared to his other 4 Fadel's. This machine was also the oldest.

It will be about 2 weeks before the machine comes to the shop. I figured I would be proactive and try to have a handle on things before it arrives.

A few Questions...

a) Any Maintenance items I should look at before using the machine? we put it threw its passes, seems tight, spindle is quite as well.

b) Only issue they have had with the machine is the tool changer. He couldn't get it to act up but he says randomly it will stop during a tool change and he will have to reset the machine.

c) I ve been trying to read up on the siemens controls, I've used Fanuc, fagor and Aninlam controls to date. All have been drip fed using a RS232 and DNC program. Wondering if thats the best way to go now? I know my friend had his set up to run off a USB, unfortunately with him being gone there is no way to get his advice ect. I will mostly be using the machine for custom parts and low production.

d) From my understanding this machine runs on 220v 3phase but I noticed during search's some fadals had the option for single phase? I only have 220v single phase. I was using a roto phase and step up transformer on my fagor but unfortunately a power surge blew the controller. In hine site I should have pulled the controller off the internal transformer and plugged it into a standard 110v socket.
I realize the single phase may be less powerful but Im hoping for the best solution to prevent any possible damage to the electronics.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to learning the controller and using the machine. Its an Old controller but much newer then anything Ive worked with before. Most being late 90's.

thanks Jim