M19

Thread: M19

Downloads
    Uploads

Default M19

I put brand new Glentek drive in my 1998 FADAL VMC15XT. Spindle runs fine no issues. I do an M19 and the spindle will go towards the notch in the pulley but then starts hunting going CW CCW looking for the signal from the magnet for the orientation sensor. I checked the sensor and the magnet is strong and the sensor is at the correct distance from the magnet. I found the battery on the CPU board was dead replaced it, zeroed the memory and reinput the parameters. Shut machine off restarted it and did an M19 and it worked like it should. I turned machine off restarted it did M19 and the Spindle started to hunt for the sensor again. Why is the M19 working sometimes but not all the time? I checked all wiring and have continuity for the sensor and spindle. Seems when I CS the machine at start up and then go to SETP look at the screen then hit jog key, jog XYZ axis then HO and then M19 will work right. I am very confused of why this is happening.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: M19

In SetP, there is an orientation factor I believe is what its called. Lower the number until it works. Be sure to test it in high range and low range. You can do that a few different ways. If you don't know how, just ask.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a 2 speed spindle, go to the MDI mode and type S.2 enter, then M19. This is high gear, adjust orientation factor until this works every time.
    Then MDI S.1 then try M19 again. If it works in high gear and should easily work in low range.

Anytime you clear stuff or replace a drive, this has to be set, and it's different between VFD's.

Downloads
    Uploads

RW, tried messing with the Orientation factor and does not help at all. I have been messing with this for 4 days and tried everything. I have the GATES power belt on this machine no HI Low. 10HP Baldor motor with encoder. When I power up the machine and CS it, then do a M19 it will not orient. The spindle turns towards the notch in the pulley then just goes CW and CCW. When I CS the machine and goto SETP and run through the pages not changing anything then do an M19 the spindle will orient! For some reason at start up the drive is not seeing the set parameters until I type SETP.

After jacking with this for 4 days I put my old AMC drive back in and bam works like it should. Orients the spindle every time all the time! So I conclude that somehow the Glentek drive is the issue. Until someone can prove to me otherwise that's what I am going with. I have talked with other folks that have installed this drive changed nothing and it worked right out of the box. Oh and on the Glentek drive there is a setting dial that you turn to set what spindle you are operating. In my case I have a 7.5K spindle 10HP baldor sensored (encoder). Maybe the dial is off from the factory, who knows. If there was a bad drive ever in the history of Glentek, my luck I ended up with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Orientation Factor controls the speed of the spindle. Too low of a number the spindle barely turns, at too high of a number, the spindle turns too fast then jumps the orientation cylinder. At least it does on mine. My parameters from the factory are written down, and my default Orientation was 10, but the VFD was replaced, and now it has to be set at 6 to keep from doing what yours is, passing up the notch.

You mentioned that your old vfd orientates fine so that rules out the sensor and wiring, else I would tell you to go look in diags.

How do the orientate speeds compare between the two VFD drives?

Oh, the other thing that could cause you issues is air pressure or the air valve to the orientate cylinder, but again, you would see that on the old one as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

...you didn't say want Model number Glentek so, I assume its INV-0098 after a quick search
    https://itscnc.com//media/documents/...%20SMB9675.pdf
    double check the Mode of OP Pot is Set to 4...possible the Pot is dirty?

Downloads
    Uploads

May have figured out what the problem was. The machine original from the factory had rigid tap. Well someone over the years took the spindle board out and put another one in the cage. I looked at the spindle card and it had no rigid tap eproms and the wire to the P3 are not correct in the head to the drive, the pins have been messed with. It worked for the AMC drive but yet was never right. The spindle would rotate fast to orient. I went to the SETP and put into the parameters no RIGID TAP. For the AMC drive, the spindle slowed down for the Orientation and worked. The Glentek drive still did not work even know I selected NONE RIGID TAP. The reason for this is the Glentek drive does not have an option for 10HP 7.5K VFD non sensored option. So the Glentek drive still would not orient correctly. The Glentek drive is looking for the signal from the encoder but there is not one there since the P3 wires were jacked with.

I got a new used board with the rigid tap eproms on it and bought the wire that goes from the spindle card to the Glentek drive for the P5 connector. The P5 is encoder out. The P3 is encoder in. The P3 wire from the encoder to the Glentek drive pins were all jacked up meaning someone messed with them. I am very confident after this the Glentek drive will work like it should. This issue has been a pain in the a@@! At first I thought the drive was bad but the Glentek drive is pretty bullet proof hence why I bought it. Funny thing I trusted the Parameter paper work that came with the machine that shows it had rigid tap from the FADAL factory. What I think happened is the seller traded cards with his other machine and took the wire for the P5 encoder out. So note to self next time check all this out before you buy. Do your homework before you pay for the machine and know what you are buying!!! You can learn alot from the wiring diagrams.