New owner of VMC15 XT and having some spindle problems

Thread: New owner of VMC15 XT and having some spindle problems

Default New owner of VMC15 XT and having some spindle problems

I purchased a 1997 VMC15XT. It was under power, everything worked, and all was well. Then I had it loaded up and moved it a few hundred miles and now having some spindle issues. The first few times I turned the machine on the spindle load meter was bouncing around between 0 and 35% even though the spindle was off. Then when I went to start the spindle (S500 M3) I heard a relay click, some hissing air, and after a few seconds I got "motor overload error 10 C axis" or something very close to that.

I powered everything down and back up a couple of times and tried reseating the cards in the cabinet and looking for any connections that might have become loose in transit. After a few times of that, the bouncing spindle load meter went away, and I was very hopeful...but when I tried to start the spindle it sounded horrible, jerked forwards and backwards at perhaps a few hundred rpm before I stopped it. The errors are gone, but this jerking back and forth and surging motion is all I can get from the spindle at this point.

I tried an M3.1 to ignore the spindle index magnet and that made zero difference. When turned by hand the spindle and motor both sound fine.

I have converted a few mills to CNC, have two Tormach 1100s and at the moment I'm lost as to where to go next. Any help would be appreciated. I can upload a video if the back and forth surging description is inadequate.

Bill

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New owner of VMC15 XT and having some spindle problems

...which Spindle Inverter do you have? There are some things you can check. Read more about it in this manual.
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/t..._and_Motor.pdf

Thanks, I have the Baldor Small drive, after looking at the document you linked. I think it is the encoder on the motor. I got up there and just played with the wiring, disconnecting and reconnecting and checking for anything loose. After doing that, I powered back up and the spindle came on without a problem. For about 3 minutes. Then it started surging and eventually got an error 9, overload. I'm going to mess with it again as soon as I can get time for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

...the Encoder would be the 1st suspect. I see that Encoder is a US Digital ENC-0007 most likely on your machine.
    http://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/te...MC_15_15XT.pdf

https://www.fadalcnc.com/index.php/enc-0007.html
    ...if, you can access the Disc inside there should be a very small Set Screw on the Disc hub that maybe has become loose over time. You may have to use a special tool for setting the spacing from the reader head. You can see the hair pin tool which I think is what they use. Or possibly the Disc has gotten dirty some how.

Happy Hunting,
    DJ