Fadal Amp Fault 18 on all Axis

Thread: Fadal Amp Fault 18 on all Axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal Amp Fault 18 on all Axis

I have a 2004 Fadal 3016 (AC drives) that will periodically give amp fault 18 on all 3 axis during start up. It's a sporadic issue and once it finally clears, the machine will run fine. If the machine will perform a cold start, it will run fine without fault. Typically, if I get a fault on start up, if the machine sits for 15 minutes or so and I restart it, the faults will clear. I've confirmed that I have power to the amps so the fault line, solid state relays, and power side of the amps is functioning fine. Looking for where I should go next in diagnosing this problem?

Default Re: Fadal Amp Fault 18 on all Axis

Its most likely you DC power supply 5/12 volts.... going bad

Next time it happens on the main CPU mother board slot #5 .... there is 2 little buttons near the top of the card push the bottom one and it should reset. Top button is battery test

Downloads
    Uploads

Today when I started the machine, it did it's thing and gave me faults on all three axis. I tried the reset button as suggested and the machine would reset, but would still give fault 18 when trying to CS or move any one axis. I took the DMM and probed all terminals on the 5v/12v power supply and all had power and were within about 3% give or take a bit. Here's what is interesting, I must have hit the reset button about a dozen or so times and none of the resets allowed me to run without faults. I decided to try cycling the main power and it came to life with no issues. Coincidence? Maybe. Just wondering if that may help confirm where the issue is originating from. What do I need to measure to confirm the power supply is failing?

Downloads
    Uploads

...depending on incoming Voltage to the machine and the way your Fadal Transformer is wired/tapped, you might try using the "3 PHASE > 5% LOW" setting in the SETP on Page 2. ..But, I would 1st double check your incoming Building Power and the Fadal Transformer wiring to make sure its wired correctly.
    https://flintmachine.com/images/uplo...Procedures.pdf

DJ

Downloads
    Uploads

Now here's a question, I'm running the machine on a rotary phase converter and haven't found any documentation if it matters which leg is the manufactured leg. The output from each leg of the transformer measures even so I assume it doesn't matter?