1994 Fadal VMC15XT or Haas 1997 VF-2 Help me decide.

Thread: 1994 Fadal VMC15XT or Haas 1997 VF-2 Help me decide.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1994 Fadal VMC15XT or Haas 1997 VF-2 Help me decide.

So the question is which? And why do you prefer.

The Fadal has the benefit of being the XT and 30" X Travels and the foot print is really good for my space. I just starting asking questions to the seller about the condition. He wants $7k with a legit copy of solid works, but I don't need the CAD I already have many CNC machines. If I go with it I'm looking at $5k.

The 1997 Haas VF2 is pulled from a shop I know, I know the operator and he says the machine is in great condition. Plus it had a full spec workup by the machinery company that is selling it. Tolerance sheet looks great. I can get this for $5k. Much bigger foot print. Might take up my entire garage. OH i has a USB port install so not drip feed.

Also, the Haas has rigid tapping and prewired for 4th axis. Don't know about the Fadal.

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1994 Fadal VMC15XT or Haas 1997 VF-2 Help me decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    So the question is which? And why do you prefer.

The Fadal has the benefit of being the XT and 30" X Travels and the foot print is really good for my space. I just starting asking questions to the seller about the condition. He wants $7k with a legit copy of solid works, but I don't need the CAD I already have many CNC machines. If I go with it I'm looking at $5k.

The 1997 Haas VF2 is pulled from a shop I know, I know the operator and he says the machine is in great condition. Plus it had a full spec workup by the machinery company that is selling it. Tolerance sheet looks great. I can get this for $5k. Much bigger foot print. Might take up my entire garage. OH i has a USB port install so not drip feed.

Also, the Haas has rigid tapping and prewired for 4th axis. Don't know about the Fadal.

Thoughts?
    The 1997 Haas VF2 looks more attractive.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had 6 Fadals over the years and have been pretty happy with them. They are easy to work on and parts are available from a number of sources.
    That said, the VMC15 was my least favorite of them. It was the only one I had with linear ways and the difference in machine rigidity and vibration damping versus the ones with box ways was pronounced.
    The machine still earned it's keep and paid for itself in less than 2 years, we just had to be careful which jobs were put on it.
    In the same time frame, I farmed out a fair amount of work to a friend with a shop fill of Haas mills. He ran unto similar problems on the Haas machines trying to run tried and proven jobs from my box way Fadals.
    My $0.02 (US)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok good to know. Yeah I think the Haas' were all linear too. The guy got back with me and won't come down on the $7k price. I don't think I have room for the Haas, but I'm going to try to go look at it today.

Most Fadal 15's have rigid tapping. Easy check if it has power in mdi do a G84.2 if it spin calibrates and HOLDS the spindle (you can try to feel spindle if it fights you to rotate) it has RT. Also Fadal have lots of places to buy parts for any year machine. And there is competition for the parts so costs are down. And if you want to check how much memory do a ME at enter next command.

As far as Haas it can be very hard to find parts outside of buying from Haas. And a 1997 Haas that might need parts could be in obsolete land.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to know. Thanks. I just don't think I have the room, which sucks. I mean I've already got a CNC mill, but having a tool changer and keeping all the coolant inside would be nice.

Offer the Fadal guy 2500 see what happens

Downloads
    Uploads

huh?

see if the guy will take $2500 for the 15xt

Downloads
    Uploads

I already offered him 5K and he said no.