Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder

Thread: Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder

I have 2 issues with my tool changes and tool holding.

1. After a tool spends a significant amount of time in the spindle being used it makes a loud "pop" when it is changed and returned to the turret. It seems like excessive air pressure builds behind it during use. This also happens if the machine is completely off over night and the air is shut off to the machine. The first tool change results in a big "pop" sound like too much air behind the tool in the spindle.

2. Recently the machine began sounding like something internally is shorting out during tool changes. Sometimes after the machine is shut down it will not do it during the next use, but it seems to be getting more common. See video and listen to the sound during the tool change.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder

Wow, that appears to be a really clean machine!

Item 1 - the loud POP. It usually happens on mine especially if I'd been doing some heavy cutting for a good while. I hear there are several reasons for it, and it's so common that Fadal has a cycle built into the machine to try and dislodge a stuck tool. I image it can be caused by a worn spindle taper, but I hear other machines doing it as well. It could also be as the spindle warms up the two tapers lock together somewhat tighter by pulling in a little deeper. Have you been hogging, or getting chatter? Is your spindle cooler working, or is your spindle getting pretty warm?

Item 2 - Sounds like bad or loose solenoid coil on one of your air valves.

Quote Originally Posted by kunz82414 View Post
    I have 2 issues with my tool changes and tool holding.

1. After a tool spends a significant amount of time in the spindle being used it makes a loud "pop" when it is changed and returned to the turret. It seems like excessive air pressure builds behind it during use. This also happens if the machine is completely off over night and the air is shut off to the machine. The first tool change results in a big "pop" sound like too much air behind the tool in the spindle.

2. Recently the machine began sounding like something internally is shorting out during tool changes. Sometimes after the machine is shut down it will not do it during the next use, but it seems to be getting more common. See video and listen to the sound during the tool change.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rwskinner; 08-07-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added more

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder

The sound in the video is the solenoid valve. Could be bad or loose coil, bad electrical contact, or mechanical problems with the valve.

How hard is it to unscrew the coils, unplug the wires and swap the coils between two valves for troubleshooting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the responses - I'll dig into the solenoids some since that seems relatively simple to troubleshoot. The popping in the spindle does not seem as easy but I will try to figure that out as well. I don't think the spindle is getting hot and the cooler seems to be working. This issue does seem worse after a long period of heavy cutting. Also seems worse on some tools or toolholders than others.

Downloads
    Uploads

...Sounds like a bad Relay most likely. There should be a List..inside the cabinet which relay is for DrawBar. Also, there should be some Labels inside on the bottom of cabinet near the Valves and wire numbers...if you have an Ohm meter WITH POWER OFF unplug the Drawer Bar (wire 24 to Ground) valve wires and test the ohm reading of the coil...all the other valves (coils) are the same (I think) so, test any other coil to compare readings..

These pictures are from a 4020 w/Dual Arm TC your machine maybe a little different setup

Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder-aug2020-001-jpg

Electrical "Short" sound during tool change and Excess Pressure behind toolholder-aug2020-006-jpg

DJ

Last edited by machinehop5; 08-08-2020 at 07:40 PM. Reason: 24 to ground

Downloads
    Uploads

I never had a Fadal but it sounds like a solenoid issue to me. Again, bad coil, loose, not shifting like it should.