Fadal Spindle Stalled, Now Will Not Run

Thread: Fadal Spindle Stalled, Now Will Not Run

Default Fadal Spindle Stalled, Now Will Not Run

Hello,

I have a 1997 Fadal VMC15. Today I made a dumb mistake working too fast and not paying attention. Put the wrong size blank in and stalled my spindle on a facemill. I reset everything, powered off and back on. I've checked every fuse/breaker I can find. I am still getting a C Axis Motor Overload message and either Error 31 or Error 8. The spindle motor will not run. When I try to run it, I can hear a relay engage and the air to the spindle turn on. Then after a few seconds it kicks off with the error. I've also reset the red buttons on the amp cards with no luck.

It also will not tool change or open the tool changer - I assume because the spindle will not orient because the motor won't run.

The screen on my spindle drive is missing so many dots that I cannot read the message on it.

If anyone can direct me where to look I'd appreciate it.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Fadal Spindle Stalled, Now Will Not Run

There is a heater to reset in the back cabinet next to the invertor that may be tripped. Push the White button harder than you think and you should hear an enjoyable crunch type sound of ti resetting

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fadal Spindle Stalled, Now Will Not Run-img_20200211_104028-jpg  

Thanks for the idea Rodney. Doesn’t look like that was it. I’ve pushed it with great force and it goes all the way down without resistance. I don’t think it was tripped.

Also, playing around with the inverter this am I was able to turn on the spindle motor manually, but the spindle did not spin. So I’m thinking that the belt broke or came off?

Just a little peculiar because the motor doesn’t sound like it engages at all when trying to turn on spindle from the control.

Go in g to open up the shroud and take a look when I get a chance.

Hopefully its just the belt ... it very possible it is the original Belt. Pretty easy to change and you can buy it from McMasterr-carr or from one of the parts guys for like 50-80 bucks. Let me know what you find

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    Hopefully its just the belt ... it very possible it is the original Belt. Pretty easy to change and you can buy it from McMasterr-carr or from one of the parts guys for like 50-80 bucks. Let me know what you find
    Would you happen to know the mcmaster number?

off the top of my head no Count the teeth and the pitch i think is 1/2 inch(measure it) its either 3/8 or 1/2 pretty sure its 1/2. https://www.mcmaster.com/timing-belts or 3/8 https://www.mcmaster.com/timing-belts

I just bought 6486K216 MMC. My belt was indeed broken. Hopefully that's the only problem. Will find out tomorrow night or Friday.

That will be the wrong belt Fadal would not have designed the pulley in millimeters (only thing they used off the top of my head in mm was the pitch of some of the ballscrews), have to measure it flat tooth to tooth i dont have one in front of me but if you got somewhere in the 8MM its probably 3/8. Maybe someone put a 8mm belt on it and that might be why it broke. good thing you can return things to mcmaster. i believe this is the belt your looking for https://www.fadalcnc.com/index.php/bel-0006.html

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    That will be the wrong belt Fadal would not have designed the pulley in millimeters (only thing they used off the top of my head in mm was the pitch of some of the ballscrews), have to measure it flat tooth to tooth i dont have one in front of me but if you got somewhere in the 8MM its probably 3/8. Maybe someone put a 8mm belt on it and that might be why it broke. good thing you can return things to mcmaster. i believe this is the belt your looking for https://www.fadalcnc.com/index.php/bel-0006.html
    You're probably right - I just ordered the same belt that was on it and it's not original. It's 20mm wide and the pulley is 1.5". So I bought the 30mm version of the same belt. However, the pitch of this belt is a good fit to the pulley. 8mm is a far cry from 3/8" - maybe it stretched over use. I'll check the new one before I install it.

Just circling back to close out this thread. The belt I bought above was a perfect fit. Installation was fairly easy. Took about 3 hours. We could do it quicker second time around. Removed the draw bar assembly on top of the spindle and then loosened the 4 bolts holding the motor assembly in place to allow it so slide in the slots.